Bands You Used to Love but Now Can't Stand

Seasick Sailor

4 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

That doesn't explain Cheap Trick.  

Used to go see Cheap Trick almost every Saturday night during senior year of high school at Humpin' Hannah's and Someplace Else until freshman year of college when a show scheduled for IIRC February 1976 at The Electric Ballroom / The Palms was cancelled after they got picked up by Epic.  

Penny beer nights at Hannah's were brutal. Taxis were cheap back then. $5.00 to get to the club, $4.00 cover charge for you and your girlfriend, 25¢ for a night of drinking and $5.00 for the ride home. You'd get there on time to get a table. After the first set, Cheap Trick play'd a lot of Bowie and Stones. I honestly do not remember Cheap Trick covering the Beatles. But the crowd was getting pretty dangerous on penny beers. And there was smoking. (Hannah's was a basement club with only one set of stairs.) After the third set it was time to head home. And the neighborhood was delightful.

Every night wasn't penny beer. There were multiple band nights. That is how Rick and Robin found future replacement guitartist. 

Long term engagement at Someplace Else was different. Cheap Trick and sometimes my girlfriend and I would be the only ones on the music side vs the bar side.  

Rockford is near the border.

So. To answer your question, I'm thinking Cheap Trick (Original Line-Up) spent so much time in Wisconsin they didn't become true flatlanders and therefore didn't suck.

REO Speedwagon sucked even back then. They play'd upper east side bars which weren't part of our stomping grounds.  We pronounced it as "rheostat".

A few years ago, went with friends to Riversplash. REO Speedwagon was the headliner. Kevin Cronin actually skipped across the stage. That was it. Outta there. Abandon lawn chair.

Edited by Stoogey
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I spent a night in Rockford.  In my car.  Middle of winter.  I had a sleeping bag, but not enough gas to run the engine + heater.  Damn near froze my ass off.

LbtOhzzr_o.jpg

If you didn't have to use the ice scraper on the inside of the car windows it doesn't count.

Jefferson Airplane / Jefferson Starship / Starship are in the bucket of "used to be cool, then turned to absolute garbage but sold billions of records" along with Heart, Chicago / Cetera, Genesis / Phil Collins, Aerosmith, and I'd throw in Kool  & the Gang, Aretha, and Tina Turner too. 

Cocaine and power ballads are both helluva drugs. 

• Like 1

Jefferson Airplane / Jefferson Starship / Starship are in the bucket of "used to be cool, then turned to absolute garbage but sold billions of records" along with Heart, Chicago / Cetera, Genesis / Phil Collins, Aerosmith, and I'd throw in Kool  & the Gang, Aretha, and Tina Turner too. 
We built this city...

8 minutes ago, Deej said:
1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

We built this city...

Shtahp

3 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Saw some stupid shit on Facebook the other day about the #1 song on your 14th birthday. I checked out of curiosity. Starship. We Built This City. FML. 

Mine was Debbie Boone You Light Up My Life. Lololol

Closest I can come to meeting the OP's requirement is with the Beatles and REM, 'ceptin I don't hate either group now, just don't listen to them.

In high school, long after the Beatles broke up, I geeked out over them, bought every album, knew the names of session musicians who sat in on different songs, learned guitar playing Beatles songs. Then the phase passed.

REM, I was about 22 living in a shitty student apartment in a collapsing house, and Seven Chinese Brothers came on the radio. That chiming guitar riff did a bug-zapper on my brain, it was the exact time on the planet for me to hear that. Bought all their albums for a while, then it became the 90s and the spell slipped away.

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Like 1

U2 was my first real "adult" favorite band. I still like the old stuff but rarely listen to it. Not all that interested in anything post-Achtung Baby, though.

REM was my favorite band when I graduated HS in 1991. They've churned out nothing but hot garbage starting with Monster. 1980's REM hold up extremely well. Just great music.

Like many others, I really liked Dave Matthews Band back in the late 90's/early 00's but I just think it's terrible music now so that's a pretty good answer for me.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2018 at 7:22 AM, Art Vandelay said:

Saw some stupid shit on Facebook the other day about the #1 song on your 14th birthday. I checked out of curiosity. Starship. We Built This City. FML. 

"Billie Jean" - Michael Jackson

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

REM was my favorite band when I graduated HS in 1991. They've churned out nothing but hot garbage starting with Monster. 1980's REM hold up extremely well. Just great music.

That too. Love everything early, won't listen to 90's and later.

I dug the Police as a kid - Roxanne, Message in a Bottle, Walking on the Moon, etc. Nice tight little songs and Copeland and Summers were excellent musicians. Then Sting became Sting around the time of Synchronicity and it all went to shit.

Stay broken up, Police 

U2 is a good one. It's not that I can't stand them, it's more that Bono doesn't get that he's not cool anymore. I respect what he does for causes and charity. It doesn't mean that all your music now sounds the same. 

Pink Floyd teeters. I have to be in the mood for them now and used to love them. I don't have the attention span to listen to one song for 8 minutes.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:34 AM, Robin Masters said:

MGMT - They had that one album that was just chock full of great tracks. Hey guys we just made it huge, everyone loves us, lets completely change our style to something even our hardcore fans will struggle with. That will be a great way to get rid of the normies.

This video kinda touches on that, though I liked their 3rd self-titled album that is panned the most here. Also like the cheesy She Works Out Too Much from their new release. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nuge said:

I can't listen to Ministry anymore.  Al's new shit sucks and has sucked since the 90's.

Agreed. The show in 1989 in Austin with KMFDM, with people climbing up the chicken wire in front of the stage was nuts though. 

12 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Agreed. The show in 1989 in Austin with KMFDM, with people climbing up the chicken wire in front of the stage was nuts though. 

I saw the same show at Numbers in Houston.  Used to see Ministry and Revco there a lot.  But I haven't really liked anything they've put out since "The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste"  maybe a couple of songs from Psalm 69.  But after that....nothing but shit.

I'll be the only person to possibly mention them, so let me tell you this story....

Lawrence, Kansas circa 1998.  An up and coming hip hop group was coming to the Granada (for you Austin types...think La Zona Rosa).  The DJ that was supposed to open was sick, so the Mercury rep called me in a panic to fill in for his set.  The group was touring in support of their 2nd album, which I liked pretty well after loving their first album.  They were mix of A Tribe Called Quest, Jurassic 5, maybe a little Fugees...live instruments, break dancing.  Fun shows and pretty good music.

As a thank you, the Mercury rep and me hung out on the tour bus after the show where the front man could not stop talking about how much money the guy that wrote the music to Super Mario Brothers made.  He was obviously ready to writes hits instead of good music, but I didn't know how that would go at the time.

That group was The Black Eyed Peas, and the front man was Will.I.Am.  They soon after added Fergie and immediately started recording terrible fucking pop music.

But they've sold millions of records and played the Super Bowl, so joke's on me.

Edited by VolenteHawk
  • Like 2

311 is a good one.

There's a bunch of terrible shit from the 90's that I liked then.  Live, Bush, Goo Goo Dolls,  etc.

Some others that come to mind- Blues Traveler, String Cheese Incident

More recently Kings of Leon.  I was really into them when they first came out and they changed to from a pretty rocking band into whatever they are now.

Edited by Tylerocks

Goo Goo Dolls were a passable, slightly slicker imitation of The Replacements very early on.  The lyrics to their first hit "We Are The Normal" were actually written for them by Paul Westerberg, because while Johnny Reznik is somewhat capable of ripping off the mats' sound, he is completely incapable of writing lyrics.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2018 at 1:40 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

I just don't think outside of Roadhouse Blues and LA Woman that The Doors hold up well, compared to their peers.

A lot of The Doors mystique faded for me the first time I did mushrooms and realized that Jim Morrison's lyrics were basically putting onto paper the shit that goes through your head while tripping.  Didn't seem to have much substance behind it.

A fundamental truth: For a  hell of a lot of the '60's and '70's music, you have to be on the same stuff while you're listening to it that the bands were on when they recorded it.