Bands You Used to Love but Now Can't Stand

Seasick Sailor

35 minutes ago, Jack Wilson said:

A fundamental truth: For a  hell of a lot of the '60's and '70's music, you have to be on the same stuff while you're listening to it that the bands were on when they recorded it. 

Maybe for some of it.  The mark of the true greatness was not needing to be fucked up to enjoy it.

So many of the bands mentioned although I can listen to Under the Bridge still anytime anyplace. Sublime, The Doors and DMB are such good answers. They're bands for dumb young people and I listened the shit out of all of them in my teens and early 20s. 

For me basically any hair metal band I loved as a kid.

Rascal Flatts. Ugh.

The Fray. Again, ugh why.

U2 is easy but man I still love Joshua Tree. Hate the band though now.

Matchbox 20

Silverchair

Bush

Incubus

Goo Goo Dolls

Pantera and Megadeath

Yeah most of mine have been mentioned, but I'll go ahead and throw in.

U2 - great example. Fantastic through Achtung Baby. Very meh after. And it didn't help that Bono sort of became a caricature.

Coldplay - definitely one of those bands that it became "cool" to hate. But their first two albums are fantastic. I'll still give them a spin every now and then.  

Dave Matthew Band - another one similar to everyone else. I will always love their first two albums... not really sure if it's because they are really good, but more because they came out when I was a sophomore and senior in college, respectively. It's hard to separate the music from the nostalgia of college. I still listened to them somewhat through maybe the early 2000s, but just lost interest at some point.

The Doors - he he... I think everyone went through a "Doors stage" at some point. But then I realized that I'm not really that into gibberish lyrics and 9-minute organ solos.

In my opinion, the next great song Coldplay, DMB, or The Doors write (posthumously) will be their first.  I have disliked all three from the jump.  Same with Jethro Tull and The Grateful Dead.  It's horribly boring music in my mind.  I'm well aware that there are tens of millions who disagree with me, but it's all just so vanilla.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

In my opinion, the next great song Coldplay, DMB, or The Doors write (posthumously) will be their first.  I have disliked all three from the jump.  Same with Jethro Tull and The Grateful Dead.  It's horribly boring music in my mind.  I'm well aware that there are tens of millions who disagree with me, but it's all just so vanilla.

The Dead ?  Vanilla ?   The Doors ?  Vanilla ?  Jethro Tull ?  Vanilla.  You might need to get your tase buds checked....and not just in your ears I guess.

19 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

The Dead were a unique animal and I understand why a lot of people don't like them. That's cool and I really don't care. But I'm guessing you probably haven't heard much of their catalog. I'm betting you definitely never dropped acid and went to a show. Ever listen to a recording of a whole show start-to-finish? They were a live band and the whole concert was like one work of art, sometimes amazing, sometimes spotty, sometimes pretty rough. But when they were on there was nothing else like them. 

The Dead were a great American band and I have a greater and more diverse appreciation of American music thanks to them. I didn't even know there was such a thing as New Orleans music before I got into them and I probably never would've gotten into jazz if not for them. 

22 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah most of mine have been mentioned, but I'll go ahead and throw in.

U2 - great example. Fantastic through Achtung Baby. Very meh after. And it didn't help that Bono sort of became a caricature.

Coldplay - definitely one of those bands that it became "cool" to hate. But their first two albums are fantastic. I'll still give them a spin every now and then.  

Dave Matthew Band - another one similar to everyone else. I will always love their first two albums... not really sure if it's because they are really good, but more because they came out when I was a sophomore and senior in college, respectively. It's hard to separate the music from the nostalgia of college. I still listened to them somewhat through maybe the early 2000s, but just lost interest at some point.

The Doors - he he... I think everyone went through a "Doors stage" at some point. But then I realized that I'm not really that into gibberish lyrics and 9-minute organ solos.

I agree with this RE the first two albums.

They've deserved the hate since then, though.  Everything since then has been complete trash.

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The Dead were a unique animal and I understand why a lot of people don't like them. That's cool and I really don't care. But I'm guessing you probably haven't heard much of their catalog. I'm betting you definitely never dropped acid and went to a show. Ever listen to a recording of a whole show start-to-finish? They were a live band and the whole concert was like one work of art, sometimes amazing, sometimes spotty, sometimes pretty rough. But when they were on there was nothing else like them. 

The Dead were a great American band and I have a greater and more diverse appreciation of American music thanks to them. I didn't even know there was such a thing as New Orleans music before I got into them and I probably never would've gotten into jazz if not for them. 

The word you're looking for is "are" a great American band. Jerry's dead, but the band is still touring actively.......  Not much else like a Dead show.

On 6/3/2018 at 7:22 AM, Art Vandelay said:

Saw some stupid shit on Facebook the other day about the #1 song on your 14th birthday. I checked out of curiosity. Starship. We Built This City. FML. 

"Heaven" by Bryan Adams.

I checked my brother's for the hell of it.  "Living On a Prayer".  I'm not sure who wins.

I think some of y'all may be naming the #1 song on the day you were born instead of the #1 song on your 14th birthday, as stated in my post. Not that it really matters, of course. It's just some stupid shit I saw on Facebook. But I think the point was popular music has a real impact on you when you're around that age...or something.

23 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I think some of y'all may be naming the #1 song on the day you were born instead of the #1 song on your 14th birthday, as stated in my post. Not that it really matters, of course. It's just some stupid shit I saw on Facebook. But I think the point was popular music has a real impact on you when you're around that age...or something.

NM, I did the day I was born.  Let me re-calibrate.

"If You Had My Love" J-Lo.  Even worse.

On 6/2/2018 at 8:50 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Jefferson Airplane / Jefferson Starship / Starship are in the bucket of "used to be cool, then turned to absolute garbage but sold billions of records". 

Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson starship. The stage was now set for The Alan Parson's Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft.

• Like 1

Ha... the #1 song on my 14th birthday was "Wild Wild West" by Escape Club. Not bad considering the myriad of potentially terrible songs in 1988.  I'll take it.  :)

EDIT - I just checked my siblings... my brother (2 years younger) was "Ice Ice Baby"... LOL... my sister (7 years younger, no pics) was "One Sweet Day" by Mariah Carey.

I definitely win.

Edited by oSuJeff97

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

My bad.

#1 song on my 14th birthday:  "Livin' on a Prayer" - Bon Jovi

On 6/9/2018 at 9:58 AM, Superhero said:

No Van Halen? Their last decent songs was on FUCK. 

And agree with Metallica. The black album and everything after was terrible.

I LOVED Live’s Mental Jewelry. Not a bad song on the album. Then they released Throwing Copper...

I saw Live at Kaboo last year.  

That's a dogshit band if I ever saw one.  

Fucking  guitar player knew 1 lick.  1.  But he swapped Les Pauls every song.  Had about 9 that he rotated, and couldn't play any of them worth a shit.  

Just a shit band. 

• Like 1

#1 song when I turned 14 was - Power of Love by Huey Lewis and the News.  I had a poster of them hanging up in my bedroom so 14 year old me was probably pretty happy about that.  However, that's a band that I never need to hear again.

#1 song when I was born - How Can You Mend a Broken Heart - Bee Gee's

So I guess the song when I was born asked the question and the song when I was 14 answered it.  Good to know.

On 8/8/2018 at 9:56 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Great write-up on the Dead

Birthday: silly love songs by Wings

i can live with that 

14th: vogue by Madonna.  Ugh 

used to really like jimmy buffet.   Probably a lot to do with living in Florida for a time.  Ugh.  Other than one particular harbor, I so much as hear a note of his music, turn it off and sanitize my hands and feet.