steve schmidt v meghan mccain

henrygandorf

I said it on the other thread: trying to read what he's saying is a beating.  If he wants to post something like this the character limits at Twitter aren't conducive to long winded texts.  

Every other post is "who to follow on twitter" or him getting replied by someone who hates him.  Plus a million references to people I've never heard of in cases that are 20 years old.  

Sounds interesting but not worth the brain damage.

1 minute ago, Bullneck said:

I said it on the other thread: trying to read what he's saying is a beating.  If he wants to post something like this the character limits at Twitter aren't conducive to long winded texts.  

Every other post is "who to follow on twitter" or him getting replied by someone who hates him.  Plus a million references to people I've never heard of in cases that are 20 years old.  

Some folks tweet better than others. He is an extreme stream of consciousness. The fact he was raging and had a lot to get out made it even harder to keep up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

yeah, you have to just put in thread mode.  no other comments or tweets, just read like an article or blog post or whatever we're calling twitter threads. 

the overall picture of "what you think happened with trump really started in earnest in 2008" is pretty interesting.  maybe because i really wasn't following it all that closely and only saw game change once.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Is there a reason I should give a shot about the presidential campaign of a dead guy 

Because his daughter and Palin exist because of him. It's an inside look at a campaign. Those sell well decades later. Further, it's a long diatribe against the systemic rot of Russian money in the GOP.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I'm not a twitter person beyond reading what's linked here. I found the stream of tweets easy to read and important.

I opined back when the Russians using the NRA to pay the GOP that why would anyone conclude that was the only corridor of corruption. It was also clear from the taped Paul Ryan conversation that there was some fundamental knowledge about Russian influence. Of course it didn't start and limit itself to Trump. 

Trump was already dick deep in Russian money. He was just a perfect match for the party that is dick deep in Russian money.

Oh, it's all so complicated! You can't expect the average American citizen to devote the 10 minutes it would take to see what's going on. The Russians know their prey well.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Another thread from him very, very early this morning directed at Meghan McCain. There must be some history between them that I'm unaware of.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1523239327353896960.html

Meghan, here is the story of the dumbest decision of my life. I had met briefly with Palin the night before along with another top staffer. We had agreed that we would not discuss anything around the vetting procedures that were being run by the vetting counsel and Rick Davis per Ricks insistence. We focused primarily on her views around evolution. She lied and told us that her dad was a science teacher and she rejected creationism. This was a big thing to a bunch of us. It was simple really, if you believed that people and dinosaurs lived together -no go. It was called the Salter principle. We talked about the realities of the campaign and asked her if she would agree to abide by a structure if asked to serve. She looked me in the eye and said yes to everything and broke every promise. 

The next morning Palin’s SUV pulled into McCain’s Sedona property. McCain looked at me and another aide and said, “Let’s go boys, let’s go talk to her.” I said it was completely inappropriate for us to be in the meeting. I said it was his first Presidential decision and that he alone had to make the decision if she was qualified to take the Oath of Office. They went off and met alone. No one will ever have any knowledge about the inanities and nonsense that took place in the room that day. I do know that if I had heard her speak like I would as we were leaving Minneapolis, I would have tied myself to the bumper to have kept the car from leaving Sedona.

Next we all walked down towards the river, John McCain, Cindi McCain, Mark Salter and I. Mark Salter had the best advice. He said it was a big risk and that he could lose more than an election, that he could lose his reputation. I refused to advocate for a specific candidate. I told McCain it was a risk. I told him that I thought Pawlenty wouldn’t land and that the press would kill us over Romney because of all the shitty things they said about each other in the heat of the fight. I said that we were on track to lose and we needed to take a risk. Cindy said it was a gamble. John looked at her and pretended to roll dice like he was at a craps table. His hand splayed open. He said. “Fuck it, let’s do it”

The entire VP process, like everything else, was a mismanaged clusterfuck. It was the domain of the man I layered (? don't know what he means here), Manaforts business partner and Yanukovych/ Deripaska adviser Davis. After every authority was removed from him except for the VP vetting I said the following to him in July after a disastrous Aspen meeting where it appeared the inherent disorganization of the campaign might mean we wouldn’t produce a VP by the Convention. It was a mess. I said the following to Davis “What about looking at Palin. She is the most popular Governor in America. “I said I didn’t know much about her and she would have to be as throughly vetted as Romney and Pawlenty. Rick said he would get the job done. The rest is history. 

John McCain walked into a room alone and picked Sarah Palin. I wasn’t there. He was the 72 year old Senior Senator from Arizona and the presumptive nominee for President. He wasn’t my ward and he wasn’t in a conservatorship. He had agency and control. His decision was idiotic, reckless and historic. I have taken the heat for 14 years over this stupidity. Meghan, do you want to know who picked Palin? If you were to answer in typical fashion, the answer would be, “My Father”

You have attacked, smeared and abused me for 14 years. You called me a pedophile. No more secrets between us.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

So this Rick Davis was in charge of vetting the VP. Was it laziness that made him do such a poor job or was he purposely trying to sabotage the McCain Campaign? I guess that might be in a book somewhere. 

Maybe more like re-direct it?  Make it more Putin friendly by putting in Palin and using her like he did Trump.

3 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Yeah.  Republicans never make baseless accusations of pedophilia.  

she's supposed to be a different type than that sort. supposed to be.

Edited by naija

12 hours ago, Bullneck said:

The blog post:

• Hook 'Em 1

Meghan has a nice rack, partly because she’s overweight. Beyond that I don’t give a shit about anything she says. She’s a moron.

Steve Schmidt can be entertaining for a good rant now and again. But he’s a former Republican and bears some responsibility for creating the current dysfunction in GOP politics so he’s not exactly righteous. He would probably be better off treating her like a troll and just ignoring her, not reminding the rest of us that she exists. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The only thing I have on McCain is my ex used to have to deal with him a lot on environmental stuff.  He wasn’t much of a negotiator. Mostly devolving into screaming at staff until other members would step in and tell him to calm down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Meghan has a nice rack, partly because she’s overweight. Beyond that I don’t give a shit about anything she says. She’s a moron.

Steve Schmidt can be entertaining for a good rant now and again. But he’s a former Republican and bears some responsibility for creating the current dysfunction in GOP politics so he’s not exactly righteous. He would probably be better off treating her like a troll and just ignoring her, not reminding the rest of us that she exists. 

This.  Especially back when she was younger, I kind of dug her looks.  So sue me.  Otherwise, the entire cesspool of GOP-types deserve each other.   And as someone who once voted primarily for those GOP types, a fair amount of that pooled shit needs to be washed off of me, as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

Bullnecks idle musings:

- as noted in the story, the Hudson is about as treacherous as the open ocean (the Delaware, too. It looks just like the famous Washington painting in the winter; capsize a boat and you're dead).  I can imagine people thinking it's a good idea to go swimming but it only if you know the area and what you're getting yourself into.  

-  it makes the story less dramatic to imagine Steve grabbing a life ring or something that floats but doesn't everyone know the only thing worse than a drowning is two drownings?

If someone corroborates this, great.  Then it will be just "I'm luckier than I am smart."

2 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

It just seems random as hell.

Today a story of a river rescue!

Ok Steve.

Y'all make fun of my posting style, and pooh-pooh my doomsaying.

To refute that opinion of me, I am going to tell you about the time I saved a kitten in traffic.

Seems like a pretty solid approach to persuasiveness, fellas.

• Haha 1

My favorite thing about Steve Schmidt is the assumption that we've all forgotten what a total dumpster fire the McCain campaign was and that he's some sort of venerated Washington greybeard we should take seriously. Go grab a drink with Bob Shrum and Donna Brazile at the Palm, loser.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

This take down of Meghan McCain’s first book is very long, but worth the read if you want a more detailed kooky at just how fucked up Megan McCain is/was. I tended to ignore her so had no real idea about her since she’s a nobody trading on her parents name who is now and D list celebrity I guess on daytime tv.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Covri said:

This take down of Meghan McCain’s first book is very long, but worth the read if you want a more detailed kooky at just how fucked up Megan McCain is/was. I tended to ignore her so had no real idea about her since she’s a nobody trading on her parents name who is now and D list celebrity I guess on daytime tv.

She sold 287 copies of her book.  287.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2