I've decided to dig a hole

CleverNickname

38 minutes ago, davidg said:

eah, Dad is still hanging in there.  He has physically slowed down a whole bunch from even 2 or 3 years ago and dementia is chasing his heels too.  I posted a pic of him last week in the tractor thread.  He mostly supervises these days, mainly telling me what I'm doing wrong.

Hell yeah. Tell him if he gets bored I could always use some good help.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/11/2022 at 2:46 PM, davidg said:

Yeah, Dad is still hanging in there.  He has physically slowed down a whole bunch from even 2 or 3 years ago and dementia is chasing his heels too.  I posted a pic of him last week in the tractor thread.  He mostly supervises these days, mainly telling me what I'm doing wrong.

Brother?  

Well fuck, was driving down to a fishing spot and damned if I didn’t fall in a hole. Got pulled out, no harm no foul but that was hairy for a moment thinking the damn truck was close to rolling onto its side.

21471336710ae731641e05cb64a23ce3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, JSB said:

Well fuck, was driving down to a fishing spot and damned if I didn’t fall in a hole. Got pulled out, no harm no foul but that was hairy for a moment thinking the damn truck was close to rolling onto its side.

21471336710ae731641e05cb64a23ce3.jpg

That picture reminds me of one of my many stupid exploits as a teenager. I was running farm roads with a buddy in my lifted 79 Blazer. He told me to cut across a field to head back and failed to mention the irrigation ditch that ran across it. We dropped into it and almost stood the truck up on it’s nose it was so deep. It has been raining and we ended up having to get his dad and grandad to daisy chain three tractors together to get it out the next day. They completely destroyed a field in the process and were beyond pissed, I busted a drive shaft and rear end. We never ran farm roads on his property again. I also learned valuable lessons about taking directions from dumbasses and knowing what I was driving off into before just going for it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 1:00 PM, JSB said:

damn, I want a hole now

you are a hole, I'm a hole, we're all a holes.

On 5/9/2022 at 2:49 PM, Captainant said:

screw pickaxes, for soil work you'll want a nice mattock

I've got the double sided mattock/pickaxe.  

And pro-tip wear gloves when you are pounding rock, it helps prevent the arthritic hands where you can't move your fingers for a couple days.

On 5/14/2022 at 10:28 PM, Brew said:

That picture reminds me of one of my many stupid exploits as a teenager. I was running farm roads with a buddy in my lifted 79 Blazer. He told me to cut across a field to head back and failed to mention the irrigation ditch that ran across it. We dropped into it and almost stood the truck up on it’s nose it was so deep. It has been raining and we ended up having to get his dad and grandad to daisy chain three tractors together to get it out the next day. They completely destroyed a field in the process and were beyond pissed, I busted a drive shaft and rear end. We never ran farm roads on his property again. I also learned valuable lessons about taking directions from dumbasses and knowing what I was driving off into before just going for it.

I was hauling ass in a tractor across a dry rice field once when I was a teenager, hit a ditch and broke a tie rod on the tractor.  Scared the hell out of me.  

14 hours ago, TexasEd said:

you are a hole, I'm a hole, we're all a holes.

I've got the double sided mattock/pickaxe.  

And pro-tip wear gloves when you are pounding rock, it helps prevent the arthritic hands where you can't move your fingers for a couple days.

And a mouth guard.  And sun glasses or safety glasses.

On 5/14/2022 at 10:28 PM, Brew said:

Everyone should have a truck, tractor and hole story.  Rite of passage type thing.   One of mine involved a recently purchased jeep, the previously mention flooded big lake right after if had flooded our property, the little JD350 dozer from the tractor thread and my future wife.  Many years later my wife confided in me that if that would have been a first date, there wouldn't have been a second.  Nothing builds a relationship like burying a jeep tire deep and wading out of knee deep water and mud and then trying to come-along and dig for an hour or so before walking a mile or so to where your dad is pushing dirt to come pull you out.

On 5/9/2022 at 3:10 PM, G650 said:

Lotta amateur hole diggers in here.

What you need to do is go to a jungle somewhere, with some easy digging, get a backhoe to dig out a really big-fucking hole, then fill it back in and make the top look like it was untouched (not hard in a jungle).  Then hire you some native to "dig" an underground house.  Film the digging, create a YouTube channel with the words "primitive" or "survival" (or both) in the channel name and put your videos on YouTube and make a tidy profit.

Bonus points: Put in a pool that has no filtration system, no fresh water constantly circulating, and come back in a month when it's a mosquito-infested cess pool.

• Hook 'Em 1

I used to dig holes in my garden in Houston.  Nothing but black gumbo.

Now I dig holes in my garden in Austin... shovel makes it 2-3" before hitting rocks that feel like a VW-sized boulders 

The Aristocrats

Ta da GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER   

Edited by texasdago

My ranch hand and I got back out there.

Built and erected a headframe. Just a swingset kit. Eventually we can hang a winch to pull up buckets when we get deep. I may try to figure out some way to drape a sun shade over it, although the scraggly trees worked ok for today.

20220521_103115.thumb.jpg.f61463ef4dd663f7c0f1d72d030343ff.jpg

Moved into place:

20220521_110811.thumb.jpg.a9a0ad2cffa28d6d57678e44e80dd7b4.jpg

Got out the jackhammer

20220521_113754.thumb.jpg.1c4ae42d5f22073949e6b564b4850b78.jpg

Big enough to fit a kiddo now.

20220521_110227.thumb.jpg.4b931642336d1c0a0ad5df5b616010fe.jpg

We were only good for about 2.5 hours labor. But I feel like we made some progress. Mostly got down to the next layer. Started busting that up to. 

20220521_122634.thumb.jpg.92c5e87e4160cb58d0cddd88cdad7353.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I'll dig the fuckin hole. I don't give a fuck. Not the first time I dug a hole. Where are the shovels?

I got a new 27" transfer shovel coming in this week! Heat treated head, powder coated, D handle. A sexy shovel to add to my shovel arsenal. My current bag is 3 larger fiberglass shovels (one point, one transfer/flat, one post hole), and one smaller pointed shovel. So clearly this was a big need. It will be helpful when I get down on my knees and fill an old kitty litter bucket. The bigger shovels getting a little unwieldy. 

Spouse says no more throwing money into the hole for a bit. 😕

Hole got some good rain this week. Not sure how wet the hole will be this weekend. May need to start covering it up. But I think Thurs and Friday will be plenty dry - perfect conditions. Aside from the 97 degree high.

If it is a mine, then perhaps put a canary purchase into your budget. You may not have any coal and PETA may start sending letters, but as long as you have the canary sign a contract and an NDA, you may be able to avoid any trouble. Note: I'm not an attorney, but I've seen Law & Order (all versions), To Kill A Mockingbird, and A Few Good Men so I think I've covered a variety of contingencies that may arise.

If it is indeed, as you have dubbed it, a hole, then beware of @Incredulity's warning on page one ( the poster for the movie based on the fictional book, Holes). If you've read the novel or have watched the movie, you are aware of the deadly yellow spotted lizards who seek to inhabit such holes. You must begin your regimen of onion eating post-haste to save yourself from the venom. Your spouse may have something to say about that diet (in addition to being budget supervisor) but onion breath is preferable to no breath. She may also have something to say if you bring home a lipstick tube you've found during the dig, because unlike Stanley Yelnats, you likely have no long standing family curse to work out between one of your ancestors and an Egyptian fortuneteller.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

I got a new 27" transfer shovel coming in this week! Heat treated head, powder coated, D handle. A sexy shovel to add to my shovel arsenal. My current bag is 3 larger fiberglass shovels (one point, one transfer/flat, one post hole), and one smaller pointed shovel. So clearly this was a big need. It will be helpful when I get down on my knees and fill an old kitty litter bucket. The bigger shovels getting a little unwieldy.

A mattock was mentioned earlier and I have one and have found it useful for digging. I will say that due to its heft, it requires some getting used to and also that the edge is quite sharp. An incident wherein I let the weight carry forth with the swing of my arms backfired spectacularly when the mattock rebounded and hit my leg. Unfortunately the mishap was discovered but I was able to *lie my ass off and can still play in the dirt with my flowers.

*Thank the Lord for Ralphie and his Red Ryder Carbine Action Rifle.

On 5/21/2022 at 5:15 PM, CleverNickname said:

My ranch hand and I got back out there.

Built and erected a headframe. Just a swingset kit. Eventually we can hang a winch to pull up buckets when we get deep. I may try to figure out some way to drape a sun shade over it, although the scraggly trees worked ok for today.

20220521_103115.thumb.jpg.f61463ef4dd663f7c0f1d72d030343ff.jpg

Moved into place:

20220521_110811.thumb.jpg.a9a0ad2cffa28d6d57678e44e80dd7b4.jpg

Got out the jackhammer

20220521_113754.thumb.jpg.1c4ae42d5f22073949e6b564b4850b78.jpg

Big enough to fit a kiddo now.

20220521_110227.thumb.jpg.4b931642336d1c0a0ad5df5b616010fe.jpg

We were only good for about 2.5 hours labor. But I feel like we made some progress. Mostly got down to the next layer. Started busting that up to. 

20220521_122634.thumb.jpg.92c5e87e4160cb58d0cddd88cdad7353.jpg

all that rain you guys got....fill up your hole?

At some point, were water to be involved, then would not the hole be considered a well? That requires a separate set of operating parameters entirely. Don't send the canary into a hole filled with water--could invalidate the terms and conditions of any contracts unless you've got that covered in the addendums. Does the budget cover small waterfowl? What about self contained underwater breathing apparatuses?

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

At some point, were water to be involved, then would not the hole be considered a well? That requires a separate set of operating parameters entirely. Don't send the canary into a hole filled with water--could invalidate the terms and conditions of any contracts unless you've got that covered in the addendums. Does the budget cover small waterfowl? What about self contained underwater breathing apparatuses?

My neighbor's well about a quarter mile away is pretty shallow. Maybe 40 ft? So there is a maximum depth I'll reach. Realistically 20-23 ft would be deep enough to have a standing room side tunnel at the bottom. It'll probably kill me before then, though. 

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Sounds like Sheldon's roommate agreement.

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Would it be a well, or would it be a tank?  A pool?  A pond?

(pond would be good for you)

My vote is for a Cistern

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You might want to consider some side reinforcement if you are planning on standing at the bottom of a 20-23 foot hole you dug

Here is my plan:

OSHA regulations stipulate that a pit of more than 5 ft needs support. So once i get that deep, I will start shoring. This is my hole digging hero

How to timber:

Cutting timbers:

Digging the shaft:

Putting in set:
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 1:40 PM, CleverNickname said:

Here is my plan:

OSHA regulations stipulate that a pit of more than 5 ft needs support. So once i get that deep, I will start shoring. This is my hole digging hero

How to timber:

Cutting timbers:

Digging the shaft:

Putting in set:

That dude is something else.