VW is looking to bring back the Scout

RPM

as an electric vehicle

Volkswagen is planning to resurrect the iconic “Scout” brand as an electric vehicle in the United States.

In a report late Tuesday, the Wall Street Journal said the German automotive giant was aiming to launch a “new Scout-branded electric sport-utility vehicle” as well as an electric pickup truck, also under the Scout name.

Volkswagen confirmed to CNBC that its supervisory board would vote on the proposals on Wednesday.

According to the Journal, VW has the rights to the Scout name through its purchase of Navistar International Corp.

The move isn't entirely a surprise. Volkswagen came into possession of the Scout name through the merger of trucking subsidiary Traton with Navistar in 2021, with the latter company owning the rights to the name. Formerly, it had been used on the International Harvester Scout, a capable off-roader built from the 1960s to the 1980s.

Rumors around using the Scout name for an EV first came to light in September last year, due to comments made to media by Johan De Nysschen, Chief Operating Officer of Volkswagen Group of America. When the story first bubbled up last year, De Nysschen's musings were along the lines of a Rivian R1S SUV but "at a $40,000 price point instead of $70,000." The significant discount would only be elevated given the price hikes Rivian has instituted since.

• Drool 1

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I love the idea of bringing back the Scout.  Although I'm not sure its branding identity in the USA is consistent with EV..

I also really love the old IH Carryall.

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

IH made a great pickup back in the day.  Tough and devoid of comfort.

I have one of each for sale if you truly love the Binders.

32 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I have one of each for sale if you truly love the Binders.

I always dreamed of buying and restoring a vintage IH Travelall to tow my restored vintage Airstream, but life got in the way of my hobbies...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I always dreamed of buying and restoring a vintage IH Travelall to tow my restored vintage Airstream, but life got in the way of my hobbies...

This one doesn't need as much resto as many that I have seen but the biggest killer is the 392 cu in motor that makes @ 10mpg. It needs a swap of some sort.

But, man, just imagine how sexy that would look pulling that Airstream. It seems to me like I sent you some pictures of it way back in the shaggy days. @Longhorn Al had a IHC restoration thread going, IIRC. I wonder how his Scout project went.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey

1 minute ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

This one doesn't need as much resto as many that I have seen but the biggest killer is the 392 cu in motor that makes @ 10mpg. It needs a swap of some sort.

But, man, just imagine how sexy that would look pulling that Airstream. It seems to me like I sent you some pictures of it way back in the shaggy days. @Longhorn Al had a IHC restoration thread going, IIRC. I wonder how his Scout project went.

You probably did!  I was quite the dreamer back in the day. :)

Sadly I've since sold that Airstream and bought a more modern RV.  It's much better for my current family of 4, but after the kids are out of the house, I'll most likely still go back and get another vintage Airstream.  And maybe a vintage tow vehicle for it...

37 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

image.png.5a65cace55006b5761dbdb1fad78cd63.png

This was mine until my son bought it. He did all of the work to get it to this condition. It was all original at this point except for the mild lift. He is having an LS motor installed along with all of the drivetrain items needed to handle 500+HP.

So cool!  I'm envious.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm looking forward to the EV Thing.

That, or a plain old regular Bug. Thing is, if VW makes modern EV versions of them, they'll probably safety-fy them to a point where they look like huge pieces of soap on wheels, the price of a house, but hey, look at that climate-controlled cup holder.

A better way to get one might be the guys already doing conversions. Doubt it's cheap, but's way more real:

• Drool 1

On 5/11/2022 at 8:03 AM, Parliament said:

IH made a great pickup back in the day.  Tough and devoid of comfort.

saw a c/d travelette leaving HEB as i was turning in a couple days ago.  pretty big truck even today.  must have been considered hugenormous back in the 60s. 

Edited by elfenix
quoted the wrong parliament post

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

saw a c/d travelette leaving HEB as i was turning in a couple days ago.  pretty big truck even today.  must have been considered hugenormous back in the 60s. 

I have a Travelette cab in my barn. My son and I were going to convert my 3/4 ton 1200 IHC but never got around to it. The wife's barn cats are living in it now.