Don't call me Shirley!

RPM

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. —

A passenger with no flight experience safely landed a private plane at Palm Beach International Airport Tuesday afternoon after the pilot suffered a medical emergency.

“I’ve got a serious situation here,” the passenger can be heard telling Air Traffic Control in Fort Pierce. “My pilot has gone incoherent. I have no idea how to fly the airplane.

“Roger. What’s your position?” Air Traffic Control responded.

“I have no idea,” the passenger said. “I can see the coast of Florida in front of me. And I have no idea.”

“Maintain wings level and just try to follow the coast, either north or southbound,” Air Traffic Control told him. “We’re trying to locate you.”

Four minutes elapse as the passenger tries to figure out what to do.

“Have you guys located me yet?” he asked. “I can’t even get my nav screen to turn on. It has all the information on it. You guys have any ideas on that?”

Eventually, Air Traffic Control locates the plane on their radar. It was flying just off the coast of Boca Raton.

That’s when Air Traffic Control at PBIA took over and was able to talk the passenger through a very safe landing.

“You just witnessed a couple of passengers land that plane,” Air Traffic Control said over the radio.

Another voice responded.

“Did you say the passengers landed the plane?” he asked.

“That’s correct.”

“Oh, my gosh. Great job.”

Aviation expert John Nance said it goes well beyond just a great job.

“This is the first time I’ve ever heard of one of these being landed by somebody that has no aeronautical experience,” Nance said.

Nance said he’s heard of passengers landing planes before, but not a plane as large and as complicated as the Cessna Caravan.

“The person on the airplane who had no aeronautical experience listened very carefully and obviously followed instructions with great calm,” Nance said. “That’s what made the difference.”

'More complicated than a trainer aircraft': Private pilot impressed by video of passenger landing plane at PBIA

The name of the passenger has not been released nor has the name or condition of the pilot.

The Federal Aviation Administration said it believes he suffered a medical emergency.

The FAA is investigating.

Tower log:

https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/files/fort-pierce-tower-log-1-1652229314.pdf

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I used to land an F-14 Tomcat on an aircraft carrier all the time on Nintendo, so this hits home for me.

If you are talking about Top Gun on NES, I am impressed because I crashed the landing all the time.