Dear Texas, we need to have a conversation about Louie Gohmert

Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

We know about the direct subsidies to farmers, mentioned in a post above.  But it goes well beyond that.  Look, for instance, at the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act, which authorizes the USDA to make loans and loan guarantees for rural utilities--i.e., water, sewer, and broadband.  The only reason huge parts of this country have water and sewer and broadband service is because of that statute.

But nobody in rural America knows about it.  Why?  Because the USDA can't do much to publicize it.  The Republicans have ensured that the USDA has to run its loans and loan guarantees through the local bank.  To some degree, that makes a lot of sense, because it helps the local bank.  But the problem is that it's the local banker who is out there at the ribbon cutting.  So nobody knows that it's Uncle Sam who just paid for your new water treatment plant.  They all think their community is self-sustaining.

But it's not.  Without that statute, rural America would look like rural China.  People would be on well water and taking a shit in outhouses.

It sounds like you've also read this:

41ZTSdtYIlL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

If you haven't, you should.  Everyone.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I have it. It’s in the queue. Don’t know when I’ll get to it. I’m reading Fascism by Madeline Albright right now. And I have to devote time to making smartass comments on internet message boards. There are only so many hours in a day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I have.  But I actually know about that program in a professional capacity.

By the way--if you want to see how much is going out the federal door to build rural broadband, you can look at the Rural Utilities Service website.  It spent more than $20M just last month to build rural broadband across four states.

• 1 month later...

Ethics Committee upholds $5k Gohmert fine

hmert argued that the $5,000 fine is overly punitive for a member of Congress who isn't independently wealthy.

"Because I have sacrificed to become a public servant and am not a millionaire as is the Speaker who arbitrarily set the amount of the fine, this kind of massive fine becomes an arbitrary bar to eliminate the non-wealthy from Congress," Gohmert wrote, referring to Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.). "Obviously five thousand dollars to a millionaire is a mere pittance compared to the blow to someone who is of vastly lesser means."

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Louie poor-mouthing about the fine is disgusting and un-Texan. He should be bragging about how he just has so much money that he plum forgets a measly $5000 because he doesn't carry pocket change.

This is so true and a big example of how far we have fallen. LBJ would have laughed at a 5k fine and would have said he could raise five times that amount just for showing up at a party but he didn’t need to so fuck it he will just stay home and pay it if and when he felt like it.

39 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

This is so true and a big example of how far we have fallen. LBJ would have laughed at a 5k fine and would have said he could raise five times that amount just for showing up at a party but he didn’t need to so fuck it he will just stay home and pay it if and when he felt like it.

And LBJ would have been laughing about 5,000 gold-backed dollars. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Mask off.

So you want Anglo architecture? Fine. Do an infrastructure expansion and call it Honkey Roads. I don't care. Just fix the goddamn bridges and highways. If you can just shut the fuck up and govern I'll give you a pure caucasian high five everytime you halfwits fill a pothole with good, old fashioned, Aryan ingenuity. Oi and whatnot. Whatever. Just fucking produce something. 

25 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Mask off.

Uniquely Anglo-Saxon eh.

Monarchy?  Tyranny?  Feudalism?  Nobility and aristocracy?

And what the blue fuck does architecture have to do with it?

For all their flaws, I think the Founding Fathers would tell them to take their Anglo-Saxon political traditions and cram em up their asses, sideways.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, Chooky said:

So you want Anglo architecture? Fine. Do an infrastructure expansion and call it Honkey Roads. I don't care. Just fix the goddamn bridges and highways. If you can just shut the fuck up and govern I'll give you a pure caucasian high five everytime you halfwits fill a pothole with good, old fashioned, Aryan ingenuity. Oi and whatnot. Whatever. Just fucking produce something. 

Considering that they are anti-everything except fascism, don't you think you're asking too much? I mean they supported a man who was *checks notes* two hours late to his own press conference. Even Mussolini was able to keep time (well supposedly the trains thing was a lie too, but it fits).

26 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Mask off.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Uniquely Anglo-Saxon eh.

Monarchy?  Tyranny?  Feudalism?  Nobility and aristocracy?

And what the blue fuck does architecture have to do with it?

apparently the battle of hastings is not finished.  back to 1066!

The literature keeps talking about the word 'unique,' as in "...the long term existential future of America as a unique country with a unique culture and a unique identity being put at unnecessary risk..."

In other words, we want to celebrate diversity ........of white people and we are a nation of immigrants....white immigrants.

The new GOP: Emotional static and ethnic anxiety only. Zero production, no ideas and empty symbolism 24/7 365. White whine only. It's too hard for us to be white in Tyler, TX these days. No more voting unless you're wearing cargo shorts and something, anything, from Eddie Bauer. We're scared as hell and we're not gonna take it anymore. Your freedom is an infringement on my freedom to deny your freedom. NO MORE! 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Lobo

He wasn't fucking with her like out of a "Screw you climate alarmists and tree-huggers, I'm gonna make an ass out of you."????

It seemed like he was being sincere.  Did that really happen?  I don't follow this dipshit as close as many of y'all, was that a real question?  
I'm missing something here and he's gonna laugh at me.  I mean, wtf?  He asked the Forest Service director if they could look into changing the orbit of the moon?  

There's no fucking way he wasn't being an sarcastic asshole to prove some point with her.  Something happened before or after this clip.  

JFC.  I normally don't watch these, but had to find out if he really said that.  Holy shit.  Put him out of his misery.
No kidding. I saw it on a random sketchy twitter, and had to make a few clicks to get to Forbes. Sure enough, he said it.

Guest Lobo

Holy shit.  That was a completely real hearing and there are no signs he was being sarcastic.  Wow.  Just wow.  

The National Forest Service has been asked by a sitting U.S. Congressman to research how to alter the orbit of our Moon.  Is he from the Forest Moon of Endor?

There's a 90% chance I'm drinking later and calling his office to inquire about whether or not we can get the Ewoks involved in this project.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Holy shit.  That was a completely real hearing and there are no signs he was being sarcastic.  Wow.  Just wow.  

The National Forest Service has been asked by a sitting U.S. Congressman to research how to alter the orbit of our Moon.  Is he from the Forest Moon of Endor?

There's a 90% chance I'm drinking later and calling his office to inquire about whether or not we can get the Ewoks involved in this project.  

Wait....goddamit, this is all starting to make sense.  He just misread it as "uranus"....

prepare-your-anus-ewok.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

He wasn't fucking with her like out of a "Screw you climate alarmists and tree-huggers, I'm gonna make an ass out of you."????
It seemed like he was being sincere.  Did that really happen?  I don't follow this dipshit as close as many of y'all, was that a real question?  
I'm missing something here and he's gonna laugh at me.  I mean, wtf?  He asked the Forest Service director if they could look into changing the orbit of the moon?  
There's no fucking way he wasn't being an sarcastic asshole to prove some point with her.  Something happened before or after this clip.  
I was thinking the same thing. But he is incapable of "being cute". That takes a certain amount of intelligence. Nope... he's that stupid.