January 4th, 2006- The zenith of college football

shadow_operative

That was it fellas. That night, that game, and that performance is as good as it will ever get for the sport of college football. period. There is no feasible scenario where another game, another matchup, another performance could ever even match, much less top, what we all witnessed on that night. That was the night where college football reached its absolute peak.

two juggernaut teams from two all time great programs, on a year long collision course to meet in the greatest stadium in all of college football, with the broadcast to be the swan song of the greatest announcer in the history of the sport. the hype surrounding this event was unprecedented, and yet somehow the actual game managed to exceed the hype. What a magical night for college football fans everywhere, and just for fans of sport, drama, the human experience, competition, i mean you name it, and this game this, this night, this event- it had it. more than 15 years removed now we can confidently say that college football reached its peak that night, and that we're all just grateful that we were there to witness it.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:

And the 2009 World Series was the zenith of MLB baseball.

1. Don't Yankee up a perfectly good Longhorn football thread.  Not even the right board

2. Yankees still try to buy and cheat their way to titles, they just haven't been able to in the past 12 years and counting. There has not been a complete shift in the dynamics of basically everything OP mentioned 

3. Fuck the Yankees

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

In addition to what Shadow said, I always thought it was cool that most of America was behind Texas in this game.  I was too chickenshit to watch the game in public, but I heard many stories (in Knoxville), of overwhelming support for Texas.  One sports bar, in particular, had people jumping on tables in jubilation when VY scored.

15 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

In addition to what Shadow said, I always thought it was cool that most of America was behind Texas in this game.  I was too chickenshit to watch the game in public, but I heard many stories (in Knoxville), of overwhelming support for Texas.  One sports bar, in particular, had people jumping on tables in jubilation when VY scored.

i turned 21 in november of 05, and went to Vegas in december to celebrate. everywhere you looked you saw people wearing their college gear as it was bowl season, and 99% of the people we talked to all said the same thing: "I'd like for Texas to win, but USC is going to kicks y'all's ass." everyone said that. everyone was already sort of irked, resigned to the fact that bitchass USC was going to win another title. everyone except for one guy, a tOSU fan who was at a blackjack table with me. "I was at the game in Columbus, and I saw what Vince Young did. Y'all are going to beat USC. Vince Young is special." all i can say is that i hope that guy placed a hefty wager on the game. he'd seen VY and he knew what was what. a few weeks later, so did everybody else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I watched this game at a sports bar in Nebraska and everyone in the place was rooting for Texas except one dumbass wearing a USC jersey. Everyone in the place was rooting for Texas and talking shit to that guy in the jersey.

• Hook 'Em 1

Unfortunately it was past the zenith of Keith Jackson’s career.

"Don't miss the season's premiere of 'Emily's Reasons Why Not.' [Mumbling to someone off-camera.] 'Emily's Reasons' ... I don't know. [Back to the promo.] Starring Heather ... Graham. A new comedy about love, laughter and life, premiering at Monday, 9 central, followed by an all-new 'Jake' ... [prolonged pause] ... in Progress,' starring John Stah-mos."

He had some other gems, but that one was my favorite.

There was a good four-year period after that game when I had the championship game, along with the Ohio State game, the OU game, and the ridiculous comeback in Stillwater from that season, all saved on my DVR and would routinely watch them late at night after everyone else in my house was in bed.  I eventually added the 2008 OU game to the rotation.