Los Angeles

Ghost of LL

So I did a search, and incredibly didn't see anything about LA.  The family and I are going out there later this summer, and could use some thoughts.  We're going to be in the Downtown/Hollywood area, but we obviously have a car.  

We have to do some Hollywood shit.  And I want to do the Getty.  But otherwise we're wide open for a few days.  And we could really use some food and drink suggestions.

• Hook 'Em 1

LACMA has an Alexander McQueen exhibit on this summer.  I am hoping to go out, see my aunt, and catch that.  Other than that, I got nothing.  LA has changed so much since I lived out there.  We usually go out for sushi when I am in town, but mainly I hang at my aunt's house and at the beach which is about 6 blocks away.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So I did a search, and incredibly didn't see anything about LA.  The family and I are going out there later this summer, and could use some thoughts.  We're going to be in the Downtown/Hollywood area, but we obviously have a car.  

We have to do some Hollywood shit.  And I want to do the Getty.  But otherwise we're wide open for a few days.  And we could really use some food and drink suggestions.

Remind me to ask my little brother.  He lives on the edge of Hancock Park.

I haven't visited since 2012 so this might be dated but there is a market downtown on Broadway that was really neat. It has all kinds of food vendors and beer and artisans selling their wares. My brother in law liked it for the jewlry bargains he found there. It feels like an open market but I think it is enclosed in a big building. They had reasonable parking too. 

And over by the LaBrea tar pit were some cool museums. We also checked out the observatory in Griffith Park. I recall park trails and hiking and that being where we ended up. It is a great view of the city. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

There's been some discussion of Los Angeles-area travel stuff on this board, but I can't recall how the thread was titled. 

I assume one or more kids will be in tow.  What are their ages?  What do they like to do?   

If you're going to be doing the Getty for sure, then you'll be out in the West LA/Santa Monica area anyway.  I would make a day of it.  Hit the Getty, of course.  But also go down the Santa Monica pier, let the kids run around the beach a bit, hit the Santa Monica promenade area (between 4th and Ocean/Colorado and Wilshire) that is a mostly pedestrian only shopping area.  Pick up some subs at Bay Cities Italian Deli (try the Godmother).  Walk the Strand (or rent bikes) down toward Venice to see all the freaks.  Santa Monica will also be about 5-10 degrees cooler than Hollywood and Downtown, which may be a big help if there's a heat wave when you're visiting. 

Hollywood is, IMO, kind of a shithole, but it has improved somewhat in the past 10-20 years.  And there are areas of downtown you definitely need to stay away from, e.g., the area in and around Skid Row, i.e., the area roughly bounded by 6th, East 3rd, Los Angeles St., and Central Ave.  That area is like a third-world country now.

Can put together some restaurant recs if you give us an idea of what you and your familia like.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for starting this thread.  I am going to need it.  My son is graduating next weekend from UT and headed to UTLA for the summer then starting grad school school out there in the fall, I also have to attend my nephews wedding at the end of the summer somewhere in that area so I'll be heading out there quite a bit starting soon.  subscribed

Edited by Teamdirtyleg

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskLosAngeles/comments/4awbuz/visiting_los_angeles_megathread/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=LosAngeles&utm_content=t5_2qht0

Good thread with suggestions and links (but its a bit old)

Why are you choosing to stay in Downtown/Hollywood? I'd avoid staying in Downtown, although there are places worth seeing there.

For food in DTLA, check out Grand Central Market.

Here's a map with the top 101 restaurants in LA as reviewed by the LA Times. Seeing them on a map makes sense, as depending on your daily plans, many of them may not make sense given the distance.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1xyjFqppfIaAv3et8SkceqXDN3ztjP83u&ll=33.85612890724677%2C-118.07873649999999&z=9

LA often gets a bad rap as a poor place to visit as a tourist. I disagree with this take but you have to do it right.

One last suggestion - don't know how far east you're willing to go, but the Huntington Gardens and Museum in Pasadena is a must see, imo.

Edited by Foosters
had wrong link

I cannot emphasize enough how utterly cool the La Brea tar pits and attached museum are.  I'd been reading about them since I was 5, and they did not disappoint.

Also, the paleta place I remembered is Mateo's -- there are 4 of them, all in the LA area.  The one we went to was on Pico:

mateos3.jpg

Top-notch stuff.

And....if you're going to Griffith, you're right next to Glendale and Din Tai Fung, an outpost of a Taiwanese restaurant that makes the best soup dumplings around.  And they have spicy wontons that are life-changingly good:

You've already got the Getty, which is super-cool as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Din Tai Fung is legit, but its also a higher-end "chain" that costs more than some of the mom and pop shops. If you are craving some authentic regional Chinese and other Asian cuisine, I'd suggest you hit up the San Gabriel Valley and go to any of the following:

Sichuan Impression

Mian

Mama Lu's Dumpling House

Tasty Noodle House

Also, forgot to include this in my previous post, but "Infatuation LA" is kinda my bible when it comes to LA food recs:

https://www.theinfatuation.com/los-angeles

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Foosters said:

Din Tai Fung is legit, but its also a higher-end "chain" that costs more than some of the mom and pop shops. If you are craving some authentic regional Chinese and other Asian cuisine, I'd suggest you hit up the San Gabriel Valley and go to any of the following:

Sichuan Impression

Mian

Mama Lu's Dumpling House

Tasty Noodle House

Also, forgot to include this in my previous post, but "Infatuation LA" is kinda my bible when it comes to LA food recs:

Love the recs.  Obviously, my sojourns in LA have been brief trips, so we hit what we know.  Din Tai Fung is also some cool anthropology, because it's in a shopping center in Glendale, which is the epicenter of the American Armenian population.  Ads for Armenian bottled water everywhere, the whole nine yards.  Hell, it was funny, when we visited Armenia, my daughter struck up a conversation with a girl who was living in Armenia, but was born in the US.  My daughter said, "oh, I bet I know where you were born -- Glendale."  The gal was surprised, "how did you know that?"  "Ummm, like 90% of the Armenians in the US live in or near Glendale."

Next time we're in LA, may try to hit some of those up.  And thanks for the link.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Sichuan Impression

Mian

Mama Lu's Dumpling House

Tasty Noodle House

Listen to this man.  

Another SGV staple is Golden Deli (Vietnamese), esp. now that the less-crowded, cheaper, and nearly-as-good alternative that was across the street (Vietnam House) has closed.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

There's been some discussion of Los Angeles-area travel stuff on this board, but I can't recall how the thread was titled. 

I assume one or more kids will be in tow.  What are their ages?  What do they like to do?   

If you're going to be doing the Getty for sure, then you'll be out in the West LA/Santa Monica area anyway.  I would make a day of it.  Hit the Getty, of course.  But also go down the Santa Monica pier, let the kids run around the beach a bit, hit the Santa Monica promenade area (between 4th and Ocean/Colorado and Wilshire) that is a mostly pedestrian only shopping area.  Pick up some subs at Bay Cities Italian Deli (try the Godmother).  Walk the Strand (or rent bikes) down toward Venice to see all the freaks.  Santa Monica will also be about 5-10 degrees cooler than Hollywood and Downtown, which may be a big help if there's a heat wave when you're visiting. 

Hollywood is, IMO, kind of a shithole, but it has improved somewhat in the past 10-20 years.  And there are areas of downtown you definitely need to stay away from, e.g., the area in and around Skid Row, i.e., the area roughly bounded by 6th, East 3rd, Los Angeles St., and Central Ave.  That area is like a third-world country now.

Can put together some restaurant recs if you give us an idea of what you and your familia like.

The kids are definitely in tow.  They'll be 13 and 11.  They don't eat anything interesting.  They want burgers, chicken tenders, pizza.  Fuck them.  I'm not catering to their interested on my fucking vacation.  Give me all your restaurant recs.

21 minutes ago, Foosters said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskLosAngeles/comments/4awbuz/visiting_los_angeles_megathread/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=LosAngeles&utm_content=t5_2qht0

Good thread with suggestions and links (but its a bit old)

Why are you choosing to stay in Downtown/Hollywood? I'd avoid staying in Downtown, although there are places worth seeing there.

For food in DTLA, check out Grand Central Market.

Here's a map with the top 101 restaurants in LA as reviewed by the LA Times. Seeing them on a map makes sense, as depending on your daily plans, many of them may not make sense given the distance.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1xyjFqppfIaAv3et8SkceqXDN3ztjP83u&ll=33.85612890724677%2C-118.07873649999999&z=9

LA often gets a bad rap as a poor place to visit as a tourist. I disagree with this take but you have to do it right.

One last suggestion - don't know how far east you're willing to go, but the Huntington Gardens and Museum in Pasadena is a must see, imo.

We're in DT because I got a killer rate at the Bonaventure.  And it's reasonably centrally located.  So that's kind of what we settled on.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

We're in DT because I got a killer rate at the Bonaventure.  And it's reasonably centrally located.  So that's kind of what we settled on.

Then definitely make it to Grand Central Market

Grand Central Market | Discover Los Angeles

The Arts District is also next door to DTLA and has some of the city's hottest spots:

Bavel

Manuela

The Girl and the Goat (of Chicago fame)

Majordomo (in Chinatown)

Bestia

The Factory Kitchen

Cha Cha Cha

• Like 1

Since you have a car, I'd also suggest taking a drive up the PCH in Malibu and having a meal at Geoffrey's. Yes, its expensive and a bit of a tourist trap, but i think its worth it. Here's a good description:

Malibu is the unofficial world capital of ancient, overpriced seafood restaurants that aren’t worth your time. Except Geoffrey’s. This 70-year-old Malibu landmark has continued to reinvent itself over the years and has kept things modern and lively. This is definitely a special occasion type place and you’re definitely going to drop a lot of money. But with insane ocean views and the best crab cakes in town, you won’t hear a peep from your out-of-town guests about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The kids are definitely in tow.  They'll be 13 and 11.  They don't eat anything interesting.  They want burgers, chicken tenders, pizza.  Fuck them.  I'm not catering to their interested on my fucking vacation.  Give me all your restaurant recs.

Now *that's* the Surly attitude.  

Downtown restaurant recs:

Bestia (in kind of an old industrial section of the east downtown area, but the food --nouveau Italian -- is really good; can get really crowded, though)

Grand Central Market (numerous food counters, etc. under one roof; go for breakfast or lunch; Eggslut for breakfast sandwich but the lines can be really long; Lucky Bird; McConnell's ice cream; Wexler's deli; Golden Road Brewing)

Langer's (take a ride on the red line subway out to the Westlake/MacArthur Park stop, walk about a block south from the station to 7th St. while dodging the homeless seeking handouts and the dudes selling fake IDs every 15 feet or so, duck into Langer's and order the #19 pastrami with extra dressing on the side; do NOT bother driving your car out to Langer's -- the area is shitty).

If you're looking for a date night type place, try Otium or Redbird.  

Edited by Carl Spackler

10 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Fathers Office makes a great burger.  

I thought about Father's Office when I was posting above about Santa Monica, but I'm pretty sure it's 21-and over there because it's a bar, and the OP is going to have his two kids in tow.  That said, great beer selection and a really good burger.  Just don't try to substitute anything on the burger. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Now *that's* the Surly attitude.  

Downtown restaurant recs:

Bestia (in kind of an old industrial section of the east downtown area, but the food --nouveau Italian -- is really good; can get really crowded, though)

Grand Central Market (numerous food counters, etc. under one roof; go for breakfast or lunch; Eggslut for breakfast sandwich but the lines can be really long; Lucky Bird; McConnell's ice cream; Wexler's deli; Golden Road Brewing)

Langer's (take a ride on the red line subway out to the Westlake/MacArthur Park stop, walk about a block south from the station to 7th St. while dodging the homeless seeking handouts and the dudes selling fake IDs every 15 feet or so, duck into Langer's and order the #19 pastrami with extra dressing on the side; do NOT bother driving your car out to Langer's -- the area is shitty).

If you're looking for a date night type place, try Otium or Redbird.  

Good call.  Because we're going to need at least one date night during which we just order room service for the kids and leave them behind with their babysitter iPads.

27 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I thought about Father's Office when I was posting above about Santa Monica, but I'm pretty sure it's 21-and over there because it's a bar, and the OP is going to have his two kids in tow.  That said, great beer selection and a really good burger.  Just don't try to substitute anything on the burger. 

Do they really enforce the 21-and-over thing if the kids are with their parents?

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Man, I hear about that place over and over.  Need to get there one time.

It’s really good.  Figured I would toss out a low cost lunch option.  Pink’s is fun if you are doing the Hollywood sightseeing thing with the kids.  

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Brentwood farmers markets checks all of those boxes. 

We hit Venice too and walked the strand. The street performers were really entertaining and so was the people watching. Then we went to a neat restaurant that had an afternoon menu with a nice pizza offering.

You can order them a white cheese pizza and get something more adventurous for you.  It's Gjelina. I looked it up and it looks fancier than it was back then. Corner of Abbott Kinney Blvd and Milwood Ave.

10 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Go to Koreatown and find some great Korean BBQ 

Man, we hit some Korean place when we were there -- ZERO idea of the name.  It was a little Korean noodle house, everything was fresh made in house, and it was damned good.  We were the only non-Koreans in the joint, didn't understand the whole menu, didn't matter.

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s a known fact that if you’re traveling outside the state of TEXAS and you tell someone you’re from TEXAS they have to do whatever you request and also not take offense to any of your subsequent behaviors.  After all you let them know you’re from TEXAS!

Pinks hot dogs

Venice beach

Drive up the 101

Take a Hollywood murder /death tour.

If you have time Catalina

Studio tours

Korea town

Get a gangland map, dress in red in crip areas, blue in bloods area

Buy a couple tents and refrigerator boxes; camp in a homeless encampment.

We used to go to Fathers Office with our daughter when we lived in Venice - but she was also aged 0-2 during that time so might have been different if she wasn’t self contained.

I won’t add much to what everyone else is saying - all good suggestions. And I don’t know downtown well at all. That said if you do Hollywood or West Hollywood toward Beverly Hills, Dan Tana’s is a great LA vibe. As is Georgio Baldi if you’re out west and/or headed to Malibu (where you’re very likely to see some real live celebrities and the pumpkin ravioli will change your life). Also toward Malibu on the PCH is the Reel Inn if you want just good seafood shack food and great setting. You’ll pass it on the way to the Getty Villa if that’s where you’re going. If you’re going the Getty, it’s in BFE but an amazing experience.

They call Los Angeles the "City Of Angels", but I didn't find it to be that, exactly. But I'll allow it as there are some nice folks there. 'Course, I can't say I seen London, and I never been to France. And I ain't never seen no Queen in her damned undies, as a fella says.

• Hook 'Em 2

Whenever I'm downtown I never miss a chance to eat at Phillipe's French Dip.

https://www.philippes.com

Definition of old school (1908).  Your kids should also enjoy it.  (It gets very busy during prime weekday lunch hour.)

If you hit the coast (which you should), definitely go to Paradise Cove.

https://www.paradisecovemalibu.com

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I hate to be the one to say this, but it's kind of a shitty hotel.  The rooms are really small. It wouldn't be in my first 10 choices, even for that neighborhood.

Eat at Nate N' Al.  Drive Sunset from Hollywood to Malibu. 

No clue.  Couldn’t help ya.  Never been.  Heard it’s cool though.  Buddy of mine just sent me this shot of him sitting on his boat right now in San Pedro chilling. He said he’s headed to Catalina tomorrow.  He’s a douche though.
9400be911ade3ba58a1e9fac9099dae8.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Ditto on the Grand Central Market. We were out for a visit with our oldest at school in Pasadena and going to the market you ought to be able to find something for everyone. I think in our family group one went with a brat, the boys grabbed Korean BBQ, I had tacos (to compare with ones here in Texas), and my husband had a stir fry of some sort. The teens also got ice cream cones later.

The Huntington was mentioned, and that is also excellent. I love gardens and they are huge there and can take up as much time as you want to spend, but the museum collections are also amazing. I can also recommend the Norton Simon museum (also In Pasadena).

We went to both the Getty museum and the villa with our daughter's student discount and again, really enjoyed both. The beaches are fun, and we wanted to go up into the hills, but this was just after the fires  and decided it was a little too heartbreaking to see all of the destruction. I am sure I'm forgetting a lot that we did, but we loved LA.

• Hook 'Em 2