researchers figure out why infants die from SIDS

elfenix

22 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

imagine finding out your kid's susceptible and there is no treatment. 18 months of terrible sleep/anxiety for the parents.

Yep. I wouldn’t get the test but that’s me personally. Just like I didn’t get the Down’s Syndrome test. My thought process at that time was a) we’re just gonna be worried until we find out and there is the slight possibility we’d be ultra worried if it turns out they have it, and b) it was presented as an option to abort a Down’s baby. I’m pro-choice but very anti-abortion as it pertains to me and my wife. 

This story came across my news feed last night and that the principle investigator was a mother who had lost her own son to SIDS was moving. The love and loss that drives us, women and men both,  to know can be so powerful.

Also, keep both women and men in science. The world needs them. Badly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Yep. I wouldn’t get the test but that’s me personally. Just like I didn’t get the Down’s Syndrome test. My thought process at that time was a) we’re just gonna be worried until we find out and there is the slight possibility we’d be ultra worried if it turns out they have it, and b) it was presented as an option to abort a Down’s baby. I’m pro-choice but very anti-abortion as it pertains to me and my wife. 

Our first was born before mom was 35 and second was conceived after she was 35.  We skipped the test for round 1 but it was mandatory for round 2.  We went in knowing that any confirmatory tests would require a potentially dangerous amniocentesis.   Fortunately round 2 came back with extremely low odds.  

Im pro-choice and therefore believe that it’s none of my business what parents would choose in that situation…particularly since it’d be so early in the process and not an extreme corner case that some people choose to bark about at protests.  For us, we discussed it ahead of time and decided a confirmed Trisomy/Downs test would have us start over despite the extreme heartbreak it’d entail.  I have infinite respect for parents of disabled children but for multiple reasons, we wouldn’t go down that road.  

If either of our kids had positive results for higher SIDS incidence, I believe we’d have gotten one of those breathing monitors and taken even more caution at night.  That’s probably all you can do.  We already did the standard care with a running fan to promote air circulation, sleep on backs until age appropriate, no clutter in the crib, tight PJs/wraps, refrained from smoking crack in their rooms, used monitors, etc.  It was still nerve wracking.  

Having kids in general is nerve wracking.  I often quote the movie Parenthood where Gil’s dad tells him ‘It’s not like that all ends when they’re 18 or 28 or 38…there is no end zone’.  

On 5/12/2022 at 12:54 PM, immamac said:

The fuck? Has she never heard of a swaddle? 

Swaddle didn’t work for our daughter. She’d wouldn’t sleep until she had worked her arm out until she was in an TSA raise your arms up for 3 seconds position. 

On 5/12/2022 at 12:45 PM, Chad Fuck said:

Way back when I was a kid I stayed with a local babysitter a lot.  One of the kids she was keeping died of SIDS.  I was pre-school, but I could feel the trauma surrounding that. You could see the aura of guilt around the babysitter.

Pics of babysitter not showing up. 

On 5/12/2022 at 12:41 PM, Foosters said:

So all those high-risk factors - Smoking parents, things in the crib, stomach sleeping, etc. - were all just coincidental?

My son managed to flip over onto his stomach every night. Swaddle or sleep sack didn’t matter. He’d flip over.

He has a nice looking head shape. My daughter OTOH was always a back sleeper and has a flat spot. Good thing she’s got longish hair and covers that up.

16 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Our first was born before mom was 35 and second was conceived after she was 35.  We skipped the test for round 1 but it was mandatory for round 2.  We went in knowing that any confirmatory tests would require a potentially dangerous amniocentesis.   Fortunately round 2 came back with extremely low odds.  

Im pro-choice and therefore believe that it’s none of my business what parents would choose in that situation…particularly since it’d be so early in the process and not an extreme corner case that some people choose to bark about at protests.  For us, we discussed it ahead of time and decided a confirmed Trisomy/Downs test would have us start over despite the extreme heartbreak it’d entail.  I have infinite respect for parents of disabled children but for multiple reasons, we wouldn’t go down that road.  

If either of our kids had positive results for higher SIDS incidence, I believe we’d have gotten one of those breathing monitors and taken even more caution at night.  That’s probably all you can do.  We already did the standard care with a running fan to promote air circulation, sleep on backs until age appropriate, no clutter in the crib, tight PJs/wraps, refrained from smoking crack in their rooms, used monitors, etc.  It was still nerve wracking.  

Having kids in general is nerve wracking.  I often quote the movie Parenthood where Gil’s dad tells him ‘It’s not like that all ends when they’re 18 or 28 or 38…there is no end zone’.  

Fair. It’s not what I would do, but I understand the thought process. And pro-choice for me is, outside of my fam, it isn’t my concern. 

4 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Pics of babysitter not showing up. 

She was middle aged then and past whatever you might describe her "prime" to have been.  I'd reckon she's in her late 70s now? Maybe early 80s?  

Her daughters were pretty hot, but given I was around kindergarten, I'm not sure I could even operate a camera.

She was middle aged then and past whatever you might describe her "prime" to have been.  I'd reckon she's in her late 70s now? Maybe early 80s?  
Her daughters were pretty hot, but given I was around kindergarten, I'm not sure I could even operate a camera.

Big Fat Fannie? Was she a naughty nannie?

On 5/12/2022 at 5:11 PM, JMFP said:

I suffer from central sleep apnea and always wondered if that could be related to SIDS... 

I told my wife that research shows that receiving a blow job before going to sleep greatly reduces Sleep Apnea for the recipient.   Research also shows that ABSR's wife wants him either cranky or dead.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ABSR said:

I told my wife that research shows that receiving a blow job before going to sleep greatly reduces Sleep Apnea for the recipient.   Research also shows that ABSR's wife wants him either cranky or dead.

"Put your mask on and leave me alone."

Could a supplement be added to certain formula (when you can find it) that would give children with a deficient amount of BChE, a sufficient BChE level? Seems like the easiest and most probable way to end SIDS.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

I mentioned this on Shaggy back in the day, but my best friend's daughter died of SIDS in 2009, at 7 weeks old. She was at work and her husband found the baby when he went to see why her nap was longer than usual. To this day my friend (J) will say that she thinks she gave the baby mono, which J was diagnosed with shortly after the baby died, even though they couldn't find anything wrong during the autopsy. It was obvious to everyone that she just needed something concrete to blame, and it was easier to blame herself than anyone else. She and her husband didn't want to get pregnant again, and several years later they adopted a child to accompany their older daughter, who was 2 when the baby died. Anyway, maybe this news will help ease her mind, as much as anyone's mind could be eased in this situation.

• Like 1