Baby formula shortage

workswithseed

15 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

a full on fucking wall of one type of formula that a large percentage of the population does not or cannot use.  Quit fucking being obtuse. 

...what?

a large % of the population doesn't use the main line product that the company that owns over 40% of the US market's produces?

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Might’ve already been mentioned, and I fucking loathe Walmart, but I went in on Saturday morning and they had a full on fucking wall of formula. 

417871F1-A478-4C78-9872-024A20EFC36B.jpeg

FWIW, our local walmart got a bunch of this as well. Over the last week this is the one I have seen most consistently at our HEB also.

8 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Fair enough.  There's a reason why there's that much of that type of formula and none of the other stuff however.  

yeah, there is.

it literally just got delivered. talking with local WM store manager and they got a shipment in Friday night and another over the weekend. it isn't like it was on the shelf the last 2 weeks alone and nobody was buying it.

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

...what?

a large % of the population doesn't use the main line product that the company that owns over 40% of the US market's produces?

What's your definition of large percentage?  I doubt that more than 12% of the formula sold in the US is that particular formula.  It's large comparatively, but it's not not as large as the remaining percentage that uses other makes/models.  

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

yeah, there is.

it literally just got delivered. talking with local WM store manager and they got a shipment in Friday night and another over the weekend. it isn't like it was on the shelf the last 2 weeks alone and nobody was buying it.

Go find when the other varieties get on the shelf, damn sure wouldn't see them monday if they got put out on Friday/Sat/Sunday.  They're pushing out their most common formula, when that does not alleviate the situation for a huge portion of the population.  

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

What's your definition of large percentage?  I doubt that more than 12% of the formula sold in the US is that particular formula.  It's large comparatively, but it's not not as large as the remaining percentage that uses other makes/models. 

it's literally the main line basic product sold by the company with the largest market share % out there. i feel confident in saying its popular and at the very least fits the dietary needs of the majority of babies. literally if you are on any similac traditional formula (advance, pro advanced, organic, a2, bliss, 360 total care) or enfamil traditional formula (infant, neuropro, enspire, a2) or any like formula (kirklands, members mark, up & up advantage (same product as, CVS, walgreens, sams, momma bear, etc) or earth's best, or any formula that uses nonfat milk/whey as protein and lactose as their carb you can take this. that covers the overwhelming amount of kids out there.

look man this is from daily beast. https://www.thedailybeast.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-baby-formula-shortage

The other thing to note is that the shortage is affecting both regular infant formula, and specialized versions. Regular or standard formula is the type most families are familiar with, and around 95 percent of formula-fed babies get the standard type. Specialized formula is for babies with unusual requirements, due to allergies, damaged intestines or special nutritional needs. Before the Michigan factory closed, it made most of the specialized infant formula used in the U.S. So it is an absolute crisis for families needing that type of formula.

this is from 2016, which is the last year there is data:

image.thumb.png.08f5b9908cd00df0ca25a235bff917e5.png

Just now, Trey3216 said:

Go find when the other varieties get on the shelf, damn sure wouldn't see them monday if they got put out on Friday/Sat/Sunday.  They're pushing out their most common formula, when that does not alleviate the situation for a huge portion of the population.  

they are producing the most common formula because it fits the largest % of people out there. there is a reason THIS is what they are producing and there is a reason THIS is what is on the shelves. this isn't some conspiracy, it's literally the base line product (and cheapest version of that btw) that the majority of people can shift over to without causing issues for their babies.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/13/2022 at 12:18 PM, Trey3216 said:

As said on this thread and others, you need to be able to go into the store between 7 & 8 am, twice per week, and grab one.  IF you have parents that can do that as well, get them into the loop.  Then also buy what you can on Amazon for guaranteed delivery in June/July, and go from there.  It's an asswhipping.  We loaded up on the formula we were using right before her 3 month appt, and we had to switch formulas.  Luckily a buddy is using that formula and he paid me market rate for it.  But starting over again was killer.   We've got about 1.5 months worth right now as a result of a hookup from a pediatrician friend and my family rallying and getting it when they see one.  

I did this Sunday morning and found about 6 weeks worth of various formulas that should work. I didn't find the exact brand we are using now, but they are close enough that it shouldn't be a huge shock to my son's system. One of our friends out of state found us another 4 large cans. So we are probably safe for a at least a couple of months.

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 2

I was raised on Karo Syrup and evaporated milk. It worked fine. I am now old. Graduated from The University of Texas with high honors so it didn't do any brain damage. Used to barefoot waterski (before I got so darn old) so it didn't do any physical damage. 

I was born in '66 and my mother just informed me that's what my sister and I got. I had no idea. Of course, her generation smoke and drank through pregnancy as well, so formula was the least of my worries.

What will we feed this onslaught of unaborted babies?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

I don't understand why it's taken 3 months and counting to shutdown, clean, and restart the Abbott facility.  It shouldn't be rocket science.

Lots of reasons but a big part of it was some equipment needing to be replaced, which is probably taking a while due to supply chain issues.  Suggest everyone interested read this article:

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2022/04/former-employee-blows-whistle-on-baby-formula-production-plant-tied-to-outbreak/

Here are a couple of interesting pieces:

Seams on packaging — The Sturgis site has had ongoing problems with seam integrity with powdered products. On an episodic basis, powder would become enmeshed in the seam thereby jeopardizing the integrity of the seal and product safety. Instead of addressing the underlying problem, the testing process was altered to test empty cans instead of sealed cans containing the product. To the Complainant’s knowledge, this questionable practice was never disclosed or referenced in records that came to his attention. He has reason to believe that the questionable practice has not ceased and, as well, has not been disclosed to FDA officials. 

or several years, some of the equipment associated with the drying process at the Sturgis site was failing and in need of repair. As a result, a number of product flow pipes were pitting and leaving pin holes. This allowed bacteria to enter the system and, at times, led to bacteria not being adequately cleaned out in clean-on-place washes. This, in turn, caused product flowing through the pipes to pick up the bacteria that was trapped in the defective pipe.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Of course, her generation smoke and drank through pregnancy as well, so formula was the least of my worries

But they ate something green every day. That was the trick. 

green.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was born in '66 and my mother just informed me that's what my sister and I got. I had no idea. Of course, her generation smoke and drank through pregnancy as well, so formula was the least of my worries.

What will we feed this onslaught of unaborted babies?
Buddy sent me this. Confirmed it with my mom.

But as you say times have changed. Kids used to sip beer for ringworms. 3c560ac8033a0d3d9a52ec35dd2ec6e6.jpg

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't even remember how much we went through with twins, but I know when we finally weened them off it felt like I got a raise.

Yep.  Why I remember my wife pumping for as long as she could to supplement the cost of formula.  I once spilled one of those little bags, oh shit.....she was PISSED.  

Edited by BabaYaga

On 5/22/2022 at 9:21 PM, Jkwellborn said:

My daughter was on Nutramigen pretty much the entire time she needed formula. Took a little to get sorted out. My son was too, but when it was time to start weaning him off, we used Nestle Nido. Is that stuff on the shelves anywhere?

When I’ve made my weekend Walmart runs I’ve seen the large fans of it so yeah I’d say it’s pretty available if you go at the right time