She’s Better Topless: Jeep Thread

Archer

13 hours ago, tigol said:

Bump.

Bought a 2021 Gladiator Mojave.

I'll get some pics when the weather clears up.  My last Jeep was a '97 TJ.  Most of the repair work was done by Bo at Jeep Master's around 2000.  Just Jeeps replaced the clutch around 2007 and I was not happy with them.  Sold it.  I was really broke and it was my daily driver.  Not a good combo.

I'm in the Dripping Springs area now and is there a good shop for adding a winch/bumpers/steps?  I'll start on P. 1 and admit that I haven't read the thread.  Too busy doing Jeep shit.  This truck is fun!

The Mojave is sweet. I dig the single hood scoop vs the dual Rubicon look. What color did you get?

Nice. Buddy of mine just got a sarge green Sport S, it's in the shop now getting a 4.5" lift and 40's. He runs a custom iron business and he's building his own bed rack that'll hold some of his tools and a welding machine. The thing is going to be a fucking tank, I'll post some pics when he's done.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Finally pulled the trigger on one for my son.  I got him a 2010 Wrangler Sport.  It's completely stock and only had one owner.

Sweet.  Jeeps are great vehicles for kids/young people.  Post up some pics when you feel like it.

On 8/18/2021 at 1:35 AM, utee94 said:

You'd probably pay more for it now, than you sold it for back whenever.

Ya think?

Looked just like this. Had a white hard top.

And an 8-track player.

download (15).jpeg

Edited by Deej
  • Drool 2

So my wife liked the Gladiator enough that she went out and got herself a 21 JLU with the Altitude package.  She was out there poking around with it, started looking at the tires vs the ones on mine (both stock but mine are the AT Duelers while hers are the HT or whatever the road versions are), came back in and was like "We should get bigger tires!"  Great. 

There's about to be a Jeep build cold war in my driveway, and my bank account is turbofucked.  I told myself I wouldn't do this again after buying another Jeep, which was clearly a damn lie.  Related note:  Mopar performance lift vs AEV 2.5 DualSport vs Clayton Overland+.  Anyone have recommendations/knowledge about these?

7 hours ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

So my wife liked the Gladiator enough that she went out and got herself a 21 JLU with the Altitude package.  She was out there poking around with it, started looking at the tires vs the ones on mine (both stock but mine are the AT Duelers while hers are the HT or whatever the road versions are), came back in and was like "We should get bigger tires!"  Great. 

There's about to be a Jeep build cold war in my driveway, and my bank account is turbofucked.  I told myself I wouldn't do this again after buying another Jeep, which was clearly a damn lie.  Related note:  Mopar performance lift vs AEV 2.5 DualSport vs Clayton Overland+.  Anyone have recommendations/knowledge about these?

Get her a good steering stabilizer. If you lift her rig and leave the steering damper in stock form she's going to be all over the place. I've got a Fox ATS 2.0 on my Gladiator, it is fantastic. And I can't recommend Nitto Ridge Grapplers enough. Excellent, shockingly quiet tire.

• Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Get her a good steering stabilizer. If you lift her rig and leave the steering damper in stock form she's going to be all over the place. I've got a Fox ATS 2.0 on my Gladiator, it is fantastic. And I can't recommend Nitto Ridge Grapplers enough. Excellent, shockingly quiet tire.

Pretty sure that will be the next tire we put on our Jeep.

19 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Pretty sure that will be the next tire we put on our Jeep.

I've been a lifelong BFG AT fan. Multiple sets across multiple trucks over the years. I ventured off a couple times to try Toyo and Cooper and that only reinforced my BFG love but the lead time was 3 weeks for my Jeep and I was impatient. These Nittos so far are superior. If the mileage holds up I don't see any reason to go back.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, smuggs said:

I've been a lifelong BFG AT fan. Multiple sets across multiple trucks over the years. I ventured off a couple times to try Toyo and Cooper and that only reinforced my BFG love but the lead time was 3 weeks for my Jeep and I was impatient. These Nittos so far are superior. If the mileage holds up I don't see any reason to go back.

Hm.  Good to know.  The BFG KOs were my go-to on previous Jeeps and trucks.  

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

I don't have any recs, haven't done any lifts or other major mods to our Jeep, but my thoughts and prayers to your bank account.

I had no idea anyone could go all in on Jeep stuff so quickly.  Hers has like 80 miles on it, max, and is the first Wrangler she's ever owned.  Re: Lifts: Having thought about it more, I'll probably just have the dealer put the Mopar one in so as not to get in to warranty fuckery if shit happens. 

I guess this weekend will be the beginning of the never ending process of jeep modification for my son's jeep.  His jeep, while it is excellent shape, seems to be the absolute base model.  There's no hands free on his radio so I just ordered a new one to swap it out.  There is a real shortage of car audio systems right now, but I finally found that looks decent.  While I'm at it, I'm going to replace his in dash cigarette style power port with a dual USB port.

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I guess this weekend will be the beginning of the never ending process of jeep modification for my son's jeep.  His jeep, while it is excellent shape, seems to be the absolute base model.  There's no hands free on his radio so I just ordered a new one to swap it out.  There is a real shortage of car audio systems right now, but I finally found that looks decent.  While I'm at it, I'm going to replace his in dash cigarette style power port with a dual USB port.

Sounds great.

Then comes the lift, new 37s, new front and rear bumpers, winch, fender deletes, KC lights, and top-mounted light bar.  Another $8K-$10K and you're set!

11 hours ago, smuggs said:

I've got the same sentiment about my Nitto Ridge Grapplers. They are now my go-to tire for sure. The set I have on now have just over 40K miles. I should get at least another 5K out of them before replacing them, so I'm a very happy camper. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, JSB said:

I've got the same sentiment about my Nitto Ridge Grapplers. They are now my go-to tire for sure. The set I have on now have just over 40K miles. I should get at least another 5K out of them before replacing them, so I'm a very happy camper. 

I’m at 35k and hoping for the same. 

Life long wheeler. I’ve owned quite few Jeeps over the years. 

Currently I have a JKU and an LJ. The LJ is my wheeler / weekend toy. It spends most of its life at Wolf Caves and Hidden Falls. The JKU is our spare vehicle, but it mostly serves as a daily driver for my daughter. The JLUR was my wife’s daily driver and it was just sold to make way for a Bronco.

in the second pic is my 1977 CJ5 I drove when I was in school. The picture would have been taken outside Ruidoso near Bonito Lake during spring break in either 1991 or 1992

BF7B3078-96EB-47BC-AB15-7E3B4C3EFF84.jpeg

06B62EC8-C96A-4493-A760-33B348398951.jpeg

Edited by Zukster
  • Hook 'Em 4

Nice.  Love those LJs!

A few weeks ago I made progress on my plan to acquire my best friend's CJ5 Renegade V8.  It's actually owned by his dad but it was my friend's daily driver all through high school and college.  Now it's back out at his dad's ranch and when I had lunch with my friend and his dad a few weeks back, I mentioned it.  My friend finally admitted he doesn't have much interest in it, and his dad told me that when he's ready to sell, he'll give me first right of refusal on it.  It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

• Hook 'Em 1

Has anyone seen a bumper manufacturer that offers a simple old-school pipe or flat deck winch mount bumper for the JL/JT? Every bumper like that available is for the TJ or older. Trying to find something readily available rather than a custom job.

I don't want the front of my Jeep looking like an F-117. The Smittybilt SRC (in TJ format) or something similar is what I'm after:

jeep-cj-front-bumper-wiring-diagram.jpg

That does seem to be an "old Jeep" kind of look that not many are trying to reproduce.

I found a few that are basically flat deck style, but they have a recess for the winch.  Personally I like that, minimizes interference with airflow to the radiator, but of course it's a personal design choice.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/redrock-4x4-stubby-front-bumper-w-led-fog-lights-winch-mount-2018-jl-1.html

https://www.extremeterrain.com/rugged-ridge-jeep-wrangler-jl-hd-stubby-front-bumper-1154032.html

https://www.extremeterrain.com/westin-wj2-full-width-front-bumper-textured-black-2018-jl.html

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, smuggs said:

I like that Red Rock stubby. I was trying to avoid the winch recess but you're right it does increase airflow.

This one is also nice but I don't like the MFG's name laser-cut front & center. I'm a nitpicky bastard:

2156002_1024x768_fe.jpg

2156002_1024x768_mb.jpg

Yeah that one is definitely closer to the total flat deck style.  Maybe Rough Country or somebody does a knockoff without the brand name cutout?

The inexpensive Amazon-special front bumper that I put on our JKUR had a small cut badge on the front with the manufacturer's logo, but it was an additional plate that was bolt-mounted on.  It was stainless mirror finish against the textured black powder coat, looked pretty cool aside from the goofy branding, so I had a friend who works at a metal shop fabricate a replacement that features the logo of my wife's university instead.  It looks amazing.

Edited by utee94

Ended the upgrade war real quick by just trading in my 80th Anniv. Gladiator for a Mojave.  It should be here in a week/week and a half.  The used car/trade in market is regarded.  I only had it for 6 months (e: Exactly 6 mos; the Sirius trial ended the day I reserved the Mojave) and they gave me more than I paid for it.  

Hydro Blue.  Had them appraise the 80th as stock, so I'm taking all the stuff off this weekend.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

Bump.
I'll get some pics when the weather clears up.  My last Jeep was a '97 TJ.  Most of the repair work was done by Bo at Jeep Master's around 2000.  Just Jeeps replaced the clutch around 2007 and I was not happy with them.  Sold it.  I was really broke and it was my daily driver.  Not a good combo.
I'm in the Dripping Springs area now and is there a good shop for adding a winch/bumpers/steps?  I'll start on P. 1 and admit that I haven't read the thread.  Too busy doing Jeep shit.  This truck is fun!
Got pics of this truck? How long was the lead time?

14 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:
On 8/17/2021 at 8:21 PM, tigol said:
Bump.

Got pics of this truck? How long was the lead time?

I don't.  My husband has it out at the deer camp this weekend.

He just found it on the lot at Covert, but he's been looking at these for a while.

Just found this thread....I've had a '93 (bought new), an '04 (very used), and just got a '21 4 door. With inventory and used prices what they were it just made sense to buy new plus the Explorer I was driving was worth way more as a trade than it was to me...dealer gave me almost $6k and it had engine, brake, tire, and interior issues as well as the AC just quit...that was at least double what I expected to get for it

the new jeep is pretty basic now but I'm going to modify it as I go as I plan on keeping it forever.  The front 2 piece top is insanely easy to take off, especially compared to the old soft tops I had. Haven't taken the rear portion off yet as it's been too damn hot but will remedy that soon. 

This one definitely rides much smoother than my previous two which is nice since it's my daily now. Work has changed and don't drive nearly as much nowadays . It's more like a convertible SUV than the rough ass ride of the older versions.  

olllllo

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 9:53 PM, JSB said:

On 8/23/2021 at 10:12 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

I’m at 35k and hoping for the same. 

Keep an eye on your sidewalls.  Don’t know if you follow the truck thread but I just had to demobe an entire set* with over 50% tread left because the sidewalls were coming apart.  Inner and outer, on 3 of the 4 tires.  

*33x12.5 Terra Grapplers 

I’ve had another set previous and got 55k out of them before one threw a belt. I bet u had about 10k left in them. Aggravating I haven’t been able to take 1 set to full wear. 

13 hours ago, CoachTex said:

So this being my 1st jeep, how often should I throw it in 4wd to keep everything lubricated?  

Every Saturday that’s there is no football on, is what I strive for. 

Of course some times the wife has other plans and sometimes the Jeep is broken from too much fun. 

• 1 month later...