She’s Better Topless: Jeep Thread

Archer

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Rolling around in a 2003 Jeep Liberty, knock on wood it’s been running great 

I drove one of those for a few years.  In retrospect I should have kept it.  I was actually surprised it hit 125k miles and only thing I had to do was replace the radiator fan and a few power window parts. 

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I drove one of those for a few years.  In retrospect I should have kept it.  I was actually surprised it hit 125k miles and only thing I had to do was replace the radiator fan and a few power window parts. 

The window parts were replaced years ago. Radiator is holding up but I’ll keep an eye on it 

I had a 91 yj back in the day when I lived in Austin. It was awesome but I got rid of it because it was always blazing hot and the 4cyl was “fun” to say the least. Lol I was kicking my self almost every day for getting rid of it  

fast forward 8-10 years and I’m in Portland. Perfect jeep country. 
Was here about 6 months when I bought this beauty. These are pics of how it sits right after I bought it and first couple trips out. 

5336E5AA-2EC2-4D8E-96B3-0ED983731050.jpeg

75E0F246-3204-49B2-91E5-5FF356CD7D5A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Subscribing to this thread. Haven’t gone back and read it yet but plan to. Looking in the next couple of months for a preowned 2018+. Likely a Sahara Unlimited or whatever trim is available with a manual. Rubicon may be overkill unless I get a screaming deal on one. It’ll be mine for a couple years then I’m gonna give it to my daughter. The idea is she can learn how to drive in it and then take it over.
That said I have no idea what options are available on which trim. Power windows and upgraded stereo are the primary things.

On 11/22/2021 at 4:23 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Damn, that's some articulation.  Copilot also can double as security

I haven't put it on an RTI yet but it'll get one wheel about 46" off the ground before a third comes up. It was very damn impressive at Rubicon

On 11/23/2021 at 3:08 AM, AUinHsv said:

Copilot is looking like "quit taking pictures and let's go!"

Yeah  This dog is no security force but he definitely rocked it in the back of the jeep. He's only 2 years old here and it was our first long ass road trip.  He was amazing and we bonded awesomely on it.  My wife is pissed because ever since he is 'MY DOG"  lol

On 11/23/2021 at 6:42 AM, smuggs said:

Hitch cover symbolizes the current state of the program perfectly.

That's a nice fucking rig, man.

lol  so true unfortunately.   Maybe this season is my fault since i havent fixed that hitch cover yet! Damn it 

and thanks. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2022 at 4:04 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

NewYears Day project.  Side armor with steps and a stubby antenna on my son’s JK

662B34B5-A7EF-4F18-8698-33E8B94D4B9D.jpeg

FC2A4883-3ED8-4947-A010-09526A9DFA77.jpeg

Damn, I wish I’d known you needed sidesteps. I’ve got a pair of “gently” used ones in my garage. They’ve got a few minor scuffs. No dents or deep scratches. She got “sideswiped” in a roundabout and the other party’s insurance replaced them. Now I have a set we don’t need. So, if anyone wants to purchase CHEAP…HMU. 🤘🏻

Got into the Jeep game this past summer. 1976 CJ5 with a 258 inline six.

Looking for gear head tips for modernizing the 258 engine and suspension. Not looking to build a rock  crawler or to go fast. Just want a reliable ride that can get down the highway and navigate the trails up here in Denali. 

I’m not a mechanic, I’m just learning as I go. Any advice is appreciated. 15D1EF25-82CF-403C-91BB-4415CAEF3E44.thumb.jpeg.5fdb76a15ec3be591ba1f9f831b6223a.jpeg15D1EF25-82CF-403C-91BB-4415CAEF3E44.thumb.jpeg.5fdb76a15ec3be591ba1f9f831b6223a.jpeg9C4D445E-3691-432B-B389-4039A8BB5297.thumb.jpeg.23a933fedc60d4ae05b766c31cb38107.jpeg

2C281D37-D580-41B3-8503-697C8C9E2B5B.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

On 1/7/2022 at 2:04 PM, mooseoutfront said:

Got into the Jeep game this past summer. 1976 CJ5 with a 258 inline six.

Looking for gear head tips for modernizing the 258 engine and suspension. Not looking to build a rock  crawler or to go fast. Just want a reliable ride that can get down the highway and navigate the trails up here in Denali. 

I’m not a mechanic, I’m just learning as I go. Any advice is appreciated. 15D1EF25-82CF-403C-91BB-4415CAEF3E44.thumb.jpeg.5fdb76a15ec3be591ba1f9f831b6223a.jpeg15D1EF25-82CF-403C-91BB-4415CAEF3E44.thumb.jpeg.5fdb76a15ec3be591ba1f9f831b6223a.jpeg9C4D445E-3691-432B-B389-4039A8BB5297.thumb.jpeg.23a933fedc60d4ae05b766c31cb38107.jpeg

2C281D37-D580-41B3-8503-697C8C9E2B5B.jpeg

Awesome, the only thing I did with my old jeep that seemed to help was swapped out the factory carb with an aftermarket kit by Weber (I think). I could never get the factory one dialed in. This was about 10 years ago so take it for what it’s worth

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Zukster said:

Added a new Jeep to the fleet. Just bought one of my sons a YJ. Looking to build it up for him, so he doesn’t steal my LJ. Currently my 16 year old daughter harasses him as the 37s on her JKU are quite bit bigger than his 30x9.5s.  

AE4E6E79-98A9-48AC-A86A-2F609ED6F356.jpeg

Beautiful family photo….. kids look ok also. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Metled fuel tank. Fuel tank leaking. Worse then I’d imagined. 

tl:dr part

Little back story….

About 2 years ago I was wheeling down firebreak 5 (it’s a great moderate difficulty trail here in Oregon) and bent my tail pipe into a 90° and chocked the engine off. Sawed the tailpipe off just near the axle so I could finish the day and drive it home. No worries in the world.  Until I filled up gas and got on an incline and fuel started pouring out of the tank!

the tail pipe was pointed right at the top corner of the tank and melted it. A little scary but any who. Got some fuel tank patch to patch it up quick(didn’t have to remove tank. Just reached my hand up there and cleaned it up a little and bit the goop all around) and started looking into a new tank. Also went ahead and fixed the entire exhaust system by tucking it up tight to the body. 
fast forward 18 months(last April) . Kind of forgot about the tank because with patch seemed to be holding. No leaks. No smells. 
out wheeling the rubicon for 4 days with some buddies. Guess what starts leaking out of my tank when on an incline? Yep. Fuel. Buddy had some liquid metal JB weld stuff so we patched it together again and finished the trail. It was holding nicely yet again. 

ordered a new tank as soon as I got home but procrastinated until this weekend putting it in. 

Holy shit man. I had no idea it was so bad.  Entire top of tank warped. Fuel pump ring melted. There’s a hole under where the strap goes. My second patch was more of a redirect I guess then anything. Just crazy. 

E1420DFF-649B-4E6D-A50E-A71EED1C6E00.jpeg

63C5255B-E367-44B6-BCC2-00CA8CD7CCD9.jpeg

7206B7CB-B507-436E-AC46-325943170743.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

SIAP in a different thread.

Please tell me what the deal is with Jeep owners putting small plastic or fuzzy animals, etc on their dash?

Don't know about fuzzy animals, or the dashboard.  But here in Austin, at least, Jeepers have a tradition of placing a plastic or rubber duck on the door handles or windhshields of other Jeeps they see parked, out and about.  It's called "getting ducked" and is considered lucky.  Some folks carry large tubs of the rubber duckies around so they can duck any and every Jeep they encounter.

11 hours ago, utee94 said:

Don't know about fuzzy animals, or the dashboard.  But here in Austin, at least, Jeepers have a tradition of placing a plastic or rubber duck on the door handles or windhshields of other Jeeps they see parked, out and about.  It's called "getting ducked" and is considered lucky.  Some folks carry large tubs of the rubber duckies around so they can duck any and every Jeep they encounter.

Ducking started in Canada in 2020 as a way to spread good will amongst Jeepers during the early months of Covid. It’s since gone world wide. 

My Jeeps are wheelers and have never been to the mall or Walmart so they have yet to be ducked. 

Ours is a daily driver so it does all the things.  I'll be camping out at Hidden Falls on the first weekend of May, several Jeep friends will be out there and my buddy with a new Bronco will also be out there, struggling to keep up. :)

On 4/11/2022 at 2:47 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My son has a 2010 JK with 90,000 miles on it.  He's getting about 12.5 MPH.  He only drives in the city, and never even gets on the freeway, but that still seems a little low to me.  Anything I should check out, or does this seem normal?

Does he have oversized tires and stock gearing? 

My daughter has a 2008 JKU lifted with 37s and it’s axles are regeared with 4.56s. She now gets about 15 and is a lot more fun to drive. 

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Tires and wheels are stock for now.  He's looking to lift it though which I'm afraid will just make it worse.  I'm thinking about doing a tune up on it (coil pack, plugs, and wires).  Maybe that will help.

Highly unlikely.  Todays cars typically can detect problems with the ignition long before you can as a driver. Emmisons and shit are tightly controlled. Even on jeeps. 

he’s probably sitting about right for what these jeeps are and where/how he drives. 

I wouldn’t put to much thought in this myself.

Just for a baseline on my references I spent 20 years wrenching at a dealership  half of which were as a master tech and or shop foreman.  Take that however you will. 🤘

https://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/wrangler/2010

D1EBFD4A-3BE6-4884-A53A-D7D4D4247D60.png

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is my 99.  I'm the original owner and I'm still under 130,000 miles.  I'm never going to sell it, and I want my boys to learn to drive standard on it.  This summer I'm finally going to do a lift.  The only thing I ever did was go up to 31.5 tires.  What lift and tire size would you all recommend?  This is obviously not a daily driver and I won't be doing a whole lot of off-roading.  I just want it to not look like a mail truck when I'm next to newer jeeps. 

My Jeep.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chico_SA said:

This is my 99.  I'm the original owner and I'm still under 130,000 miles.  I'm never going to sell it, and I want my boys to learn to drive standard on it.  This summer I'm finally going to do a lift.  The only thing I ever did was go up to 31.5 tires.  What lift and tire size would you all recommend?  This is obviously not a daily driver and I won't be doing a whole lot of off-roading.  I just want it to not look like a mail truck when I'm next to newer jeeps. 

My Jeep.jpg

Can’t go wrong with 3 inch suspension and 33x10.50 but I’m not hardcore. Used to drive a similar one set up that way and the green on tan just looked amazing. 

Everything I see today looks like a 35

Edited by ChickenSandwich

On 5/6/2022 at 7:02 PM, Chico_SA said:

What is  your budget? You can do a cheap 2” spacer lift, add some wheel adaptors, and throw on a set of JL Rubicon take off tires and wheels and not break the bank. Would look good and ride similar to stock. You can install a higher end kit and drastically improve the ride and handling. Really just comes done to what your willing to spend. 

17 hours ago, Zukster said:

What is  your budget? You can do a cheap 2” spacer lift, add some wheel adaptors, and throw on a set of JL Rubicon take off tires and wheels and not break the bank. Would look good and ride similar to stock. You can install a higher end kit and drastically improve the ride and handling. Really just comes done to what your willing to spend. 

That's basically what I did to mine. 3" lift and newer model rims/tires.

image.png.d6f47ca9a1d60f607ae7a2b3e347288a.png

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/9/2022 at 8:44 PM, Zukster said:

Budget won't be a major issue.  I'm ok with investing some since I really haven't done much, other than get bikini tops and such.  But I don't need to go "highest" end.  I don't mind approaching the higher end if it means I'll be very pleased with my decision.  Some family members (two in the auto industry) suggested I just order all the parts I want, and then just find a good mechanic to do the work, rather than go to an off-road place.  Thoughts on that?  Seems to make sense. 

I remember when 35's were big tires, and you really had something.  Now, stock on lots of vehicles.  I'd throw it on some 33x12.5's but something with some grip.  Let the tread make up for the size a bit, better look, etc.  Especially if you aren't going to daily it or long trip it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If it’s a daily street driver I’d stick to 33s. 35s are a little big and make my TJ under powered if not re geared. 

fianlly got the top off for the summer. It’s been stupid weather hear. Tons of may rain and even April snow.  09DFB567-B007-464A-AD10-E70760A707DB.thumb.jpeg.429880caaa9007673e9f041269158ba7.jpeg294E6C53-A756-4FDF-976E-5310BE00DB6E.thumb.jpeg.4d74677d901aa8598154ff923e74863c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Jeep guys, what are y’all’s thoughts on the gladiator?  Ive been in line for a long term rental and have been, not impressed.  Just curious from “community” guys. 

Full disclosure. Have always been a fan of CJ5/7/8 but daily a 3/4-ton diesel truck. Ive never spent time in anything from TJ forward.   I’m not the intended market. But it does seem like it would make a nice hunting truck in a few years. 

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it?  It can't tow much, but like any other Jeep Wrangler-ish vehicle it's good offroad.  It'd probably make a good hunting truck but right now, with current prices, it'd be a pretty expensive one.

Personally, I like them.  I think they're pretty cool.

The "community" is definitely mixed.  There are purists that really don't like them, but there are purists that don't like anything newer than a CJ5 and there are also purists that consider anything other than a bona fide 1940 Willys Quad to be a sad knockoff.  People love to create unnecessary divisions in order to feel superior to other people.  Such is the way of things.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, utee94 said:

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it?  It can't tow much, but like any other Jeep Wrangler-ish vehicle it's good offroad.  It'd probably make a good hunting truck but right now, with current prices, it'd be a pretty expensive one.

Personally, I like them.  I think they're pretty cool.

The "community" is definitely mixed.  There are purists that really don't like them, but there are purists that don't like anything newer than a CJ5 and there are also purists that consider anything other than a bona fide 1940 Willys Quad to be a sad knockoff.  People love to create unnecessary divisions in order to feel superior to other people.  Such is the way of things.

That’s why I was asking. It’s light af and peppy, and loud af on highway, retaining several notable Jeep genes.  I’ve had 3-4 of the guys on my sites ask me how I like it, which I mostly don’t, but that got me thinking how it’s been received in the hardcore Jeep community.  The 8 was bad ass imo.  Anyhow, more curiosity than anything.  

13 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Jeep guys, what are y’all’s thoughts on the gladiator?  Ive been in line for a long term rental and have been, not impressed.  Just curious from “community” guys. 

Full disclosure. Have always been a fan of CJ5/7/8 but daily a 3/4-ton diesel truck. Ive never spent time in anything from TJ forward.   I’m not the intended market. But it does seem like it would make a nice hunting truck in a few years. 

What was it about the Gladiator that didn't impress you?  I don't own one -- just curious.