Your Favorite Song

Chico_SA

As a teacher of High School Juniors and Seniors, I get plenty  of random questions.  I don't mind talking about out of course things with my students...it builds some relationships.  Last week someone asked me what my favorite song was.  I paused for a second, but then it came to me like it always does.  "True Faith" by New Order.   Although I have plenty of songs I love (Regret is a close 2nd) , "True Faith"  is always my answer to that question. Perfect song at the perfect time in my life. 

Do you have a definitive favorite that you would mention every time that question is asked?   

Post here. 

Edited by Chico_SA
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, South Austin said:

For a lot of different reasons, mostly because of the time in my life associated with this song, it’s always been one of my favorites, if not No. 1.

Oh dear lord. Because of that time in my life I’ve warmed on the song. But I didn’t like it at the time. And there was a time when I was in college when my hairstyle was a permed mullet. Some young women told me I looked like the guy from Tears for Fears. (Not the lead singer on that song but the other guy.) That irked me because I thought those guys were dorks. It wasn’t until years later that it finally dawned on me that they probably meant it as a compliment and were offering an opportunity for sexy time.

God, if I only knew then what I know now. 

3 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

“Satisfaction.”  I’ve never owned a stereo rig loud enough to play it like it should be heard.  Next question-

Easy top 10 song for me.  I've seen the Stones once -- Texas Motor Speedway, 1997 -- and Keef just sort of magically appeared on stage at the start of their set, blasting out "Satisfaction"  It was probably the single greatest moment I've ever seen live, and I've seen a shit ton of music live.

On 5/14/2022 at 7:13 AM, CooterBrown said:

3 minutes of absolute perfection. The pit goes wild every goddamn time.

Underrepresented band in lists of era-specific greatness.  We loved them so much we let our guitarist's girlfriend start playing shows just because she had an organ and great hair.

• Hook 'Em 1

Voodoo Chile/Child, in all its many incarnations. My hs yearbook quote was “I don’t need you no more in this world, so meet me in the next one, and don’t be late!”

So many great versions, but Stevie’s and Jimi’s (both of his) are at the top. Ben Harper, Clapton, Robert Randolph, John Mayer, Steve Winwood and loads of others have done righteous versions. It’s an immortal tune.

• Hook 'Em 1

Don’t really have one, but I’m a 90s kid so there’s dozens of songs from that era that would be on the list of options.  The first time I heard “I will follow you into the dark” by Death Cab for Cutie, I remember thinking that it was very close to perfection.  I feel the same about “Let It Be”. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Not sure this song is near the top of the list, but I've loved it for a long time.  Some of my earliest musical memories are listening to the radio in my parents' station wagon driving around Northern Virginia in the late 70s/early 80s, and this one usually comes to mind. 

• Like 2

Such a hard question. I could throw out dozens of Beatles and solo ex Beatle songs and be right on a particular day. So I won't go there.

Of all the songs I could say is "my favorite" I'll pick one that that qualifies but will probably not be on anyone else's list here.

53 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Favorite song?  Don't know that I can single out just one -- a lot depends on how I'm feeling.  But this one is always in contention.

I keep that in my rotation in the car MP3 batch.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

This:

Or this:

You and i must share the same soul. Desperadoes waiting for a train makes me teary eyed no matter how many times I hear it. I used to be my Dad’s “sidekick” on Saturdays driving to a few beer joints where old men really were playing dominoes and talking shit. His depiction of all of a sudden one day realizing his hero was “old and almost gone” kills me every time. If your dad is still around keep making memories, son of a bitch I miss that man.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Not sure this song is near the top of the list, but I've loved it for a long time.  Some of my earliest musical memories are listening to the radio in my parents' station wagon driving around Northern Virginia in the late 70s/early 80s, and this one usually comes to mind. 

Paul Carrack for the win.  I've told this story before, but it links to this thread -- my favorite song (linked upthread) is Squeeze "Tempted".  I have no problem identifying it as such, it never leaves spot #1.  That said, when I took my wife to see Eric Clapton at the Erwin Center maybe a decade ago, I was stunned when in the middle of the set he pointed out his keyboard player, whom I hadn't recognized as Paul Carrack, and said "I'm gonna let this guy do a couple".

You guessed it, "How Long" and "Tempted".  My reaction:

South Park JIzz Blank Template - Imgflip

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

If forced I could  trim my list down to my 100 favorite songs on any given day. Maybe 50 if there was a gun to my head. But there's no way I could ever pinpoint one song and say "that's it." I couldn't eliminate so many songs that have brought so much love, joy, beautiful heartache and commiseration to my life.

Bless y'all for trying. I'm just gonna sift through a thread with a lot of badass songs.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2022 at 3:47 PM, noharleyyet said:

I’ve always loved that song. The whole soundtrack to the movie Invincible is solid but I own it on CD mainly so I have a copy of that song.

I haven’t seen that video before. That’s some pretty bad lip syncing. Here’s a fun fact. Phil Lesh, bass player for the Grateful Dead, once protested not playing live on tv by “playing” a broomstick.

B6B17E34-C21F-4CFB-BF9F-7483129D0D16.thumb.jpeg.e954d38f3c4e26a06a1533233a6041b4.jpeg

Tried to add to previous post, but it told me too much time to edit....whatever - 

It's sad reality, but Time kills me because it is literally what is happening to all of us and the older I get the more the realization shines through.  Just reminds me to live life to the fullest and don't put shit off.  If you want to go on that trip do it.  If you want to go see someone in concert do it.  Quit telling yourself "oh I will just do it next time they come to town" or "I don't have the time to do this right now even though I would love to"  We are all gonna die sooner than we think.  Go do it. 

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

21 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Tried to add to previous post, but it told me too much time to edit....whatever - 

It's sad reality, but Time kills me because it is literally what is happening to all of us and the older I get the more the realization shines through.  Just reminds me to live life to the fullest and don't put shit off.  If you want to go on that trip do it.  If you want to go see someone in concert do it.  Quit telling yourself "oh I will just do it next time they come to town" or "I don't have the time to do this right now even though I would love to"  We are all gonna die sooner than we think.  Go do it. 

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

That whole album is great but I think Us and Them is Floyd’s most powerful song.