Upward Failures

Tex Long

This thread insisted upon itself as a result of another thread regarding a certain coach who absolutely defines the appellation, one Chad Morris.

I'll start with Jeff Fisher, although there are plenty of others, in both college and pro ranks.

Whadda ya got?

17 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Jason Garrett.  Duh.

I don't agree. Garrett went from Cowboy OC to Cowboy head coach. Got fired. Went back to being an OC with the Giants. Got fired.

Same with Chad Morris. He worked his way up to college OC. Got head coach job at SMU. Got head coach job at Arkansas. Fired. Took a HS job. 

45 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Kliff Kingsbury

Who after 3 full seasons with (at the time of his hiring) the worst team in the NFL is now 24-24-1 in the regular season. He's been surprisingly solid, especially compared to guys like Urban, Spurrier, Holtz and Petrino.

Cardinals actually just gave him a 5 year extension.

• Like 1

I posted a rebuttal towards the KK post as well, then deleted it, thinking maube I misunderstood the thread.

I haven't read the Chad Morris thread.  

"Upward failure" could mean a couple different things.

Edited by slorch

12 minutes ago, slorch said:

I posted a rebuttal towards the KK post as well, then deleted it, thinking maube I misunderstood the thread.

I haven't read the Chad Morris thread.  

"Upward failure" could mean a couple different things.

I think Kingsbury is the ultimate upward failure. At least how I am understanding the term. He failed in college, fired by Tech, and then landed an NFL head coaching job. I don't think the term has anything to do with how he has done in the NFL, just that he failed in college and despite of it, moved up.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

This thread insisted upon itself as a result of another thread regarding a certain coach who absolutely defines the appellation, one Chad Morris.

I'll start with Jeff Fisher, although there are plenty of others, in both college and pro ranks.

Whadda ya got?

Jeff Fisher isn’t an upward failure.  He’s someone who peaked early in his career.  He turned the Oilers/Titans from terrible to very good— close SB loss and then an AFCCG.  Then he lost what he had going. He kept getting chances because the NFL recycles anyone who’s had a glimmer of success but he did get close to the peak then rolled down. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Like 1

I don’t think anyone who’s won or played for an NCAA or NFL championship as an HC can be said to have failed upward. They can be said to fall off, but fail upward to me has to be reserved for someone who has no to modest accomplishments at every step but keeps getting moved up or remaining at the highest level. 

Adam Gase is one.  He was good in Denver (OC) , mediocre in Chicago (OC), not good in Miami (HC), terrible for NYJ (HC). 

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Jeff Fisher isn’t an upward failure.  He’s someone who peaked early in his career.  He turned the Oilers/Titans from terrible to very good— close SB loss and then an AFCCG.  Then he lost what he had going. He kept getting chances because the NFL recycles anyone who’s had a glimmer of success but he did get close to the peak then rolled down. 

Fisher failed at not being a fuckface.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gigglebush said:

Who after 3 full seasons with (at the time of his hiring) the worst team in the NFL is now 24-24-1 in the regular season. He's been surprisingly solid, especially compared to guys like Urban, Spurrier, Holtz and Petrino.

Cardinals actually just gave him a 5 year extension.

still doesn't mean he didn't fail upward to an NFL job

Todd Graham has to be ranked fairly high in any such list.  If you follow his career, he  consistently had what I would call acceptably mediocre "success" and somehow moved up the coaching ranks.  I've never understood why anyone hired him.

9 hours ago, Underdog said:

Think one could make a strong argument that going from GB to Dallas is a step down. 

It would be a failed argument, an an argument just the same.

I’d like more clarification from the op on what this is all about. Chad Morris was a very successful high school coach who moved to an effective college OC to HC at SMU where he improved every year to 2 dismal seasons at Arkansas. He’s fired and is back in high school.

He was successful basically every step of the way till Arkansas and then he moved back down the ladder. I guess I don’t understand what we mean by an upward failure for him to “absolutely define the appellation.”

Edited by formermav43