Out of Town Tailgater: Suggestions Wanted

tmoranish

Hey all,

I'm a college football fan from Cleveland and will be in Austin for my bachelor party the weekend of the West Virginia game. I will be with a party of 15-20, we already have tickets, but we are looking for any suggestions as to where a party of our size can tailgate? We are all about 26-29 and several of us played college ball elsewhere, so we'd love to have a great party atmosphere while seeing some even better football. 

We will be staying a little east of Downtown, not far from Rainey Street. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#HookEm

• Like 2

This is the standard answer I usually give the out of towners, but I think it makes for a good start. This assumes a night game, adjust accordingly if it ends up being an afternoon, or God forbid a morning kickoff.

Wake up around 10am with massive hangover from Friday night in downtown Austin. Seek breakfast tacos immediately.

Once you have recovered, start at Scholz Garten (17th and San Jacinto) early. You can get there quickly via Uber whatever from your location. This place is a total shitshow closer to kickoff but early you can still get beers quickly and hang out in the back beergarden. Before the age of tailgating, this was THE place. I think it's a good place to start and get your bearings, and you can have a cold beer or seven while you figure out what looks good.

When you're in the Scholz area you'll see tailgates in the state lots in the 6-8 square blocks of Congress to Trinity (W->E), 16th to MLK (S->N).

Tailgating is unfortunately spread out across the campus so be wary that you don't set yourself up for hikes all over creation getting from one tailgate to another. There are also some tailgates to the north and east of the stadium but not as many. These are more alum tailgates but all is not lost if you find yourself up that way.

If you're a West Virginia guy, you're not going to see anything as massive as that one lot at WVU. But people generally treat visitors well (whether rooting for the other team or just checking shit out) as long as you aren't a total doucher.

I'm not really a fan of either school. A childhood buddy of mine and I decided we'd hit a new stadium every year. We're both Notre Dame folks, but I just genuinely enjoy good college football. Last year we went to Baton Rouge for the A&M game, and this year the trip coincided perfectly with a bachelor party weekend. 

Fortunately / unfortunately, my future father-in-law is a higher up for a bank that does a lot of business in Dallas, and got us hooked up with a booster who was able to hook us up with a suite on the east side of the stadium. For that reason alone I'm concerned about being able to function at the game and not embarrassing ourselves. But we shall see. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, tmoranish said:

Hey all,

I'm a college football fan from Cleveland and will be in Austin for my bachelor party the weekend of the West Virginia game.

Rules require that you post pictures of your fiance before recommendations can be given.

4 minutes ago, tmoranish said:

I'm not really a fan of either school. A childhood buddy of mine and I decided we'd hit a new stadium every year. We're both Notre Dame folks, but I just genuinely enjoy good college football. Last year we went to Baton Rouge for the A&M game, and this year the trip coincided perfectly with a bachelor party weekend. 

Fortunately / unfortunately, my future father-in-law is a higher up for a bank that does a lot of business in Dallas, and got us hooked up with a booster who was able to hook us up with a suite on the east side of the stadium. For that reason alone I'm concerned about being able to function at the game and not embarrassing ourselves. But we shall see. 

Not sure if McConaughey?

3 minutes ago, tmoranish said:

So, based on all of the astute analysis I've received thus far... Scholz Garten is the spot? 

It's the closest bar to the Stadium. Hell it's the only bar close to the stadium. There is Crown & Anchor on the north side of campus but Scholz is where everyone goes before the game if they don't have a friend with a tailgating spot. 

Well shit if Del Conte gets his plans up and running by fall you might have a better attraction outside of the stadium before game time along San Jacinto. He's trying to turn that into a party area before game-time, but not sure how rowdy people will be encouraged to get around there, I imagine it might could have a more family-friendly feel to it, but if it's a spot to slam beers and talk shit before kickoff it could be great.

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

This is the standard answer I usually give the out of towners, but I think it makes for a good start. This assumes a night game, adjust accordingly if it ends up being an afternoon, or God forbid a morning kickoff.

Wake up around 10am with massive hangover from Friday night in downtown Austin. Seek breakfast tacos immediately.

Once you have recovered, start at Scholz Garten (17th and San Jacinto) early. You can get there quickly via Uber whatever from your location. This place is a total shitshow closer to kickoff but early you can still get beers quickly and hang out in the back beergarden. Before the age of tailgating, this was THE place. I think it's a good place to start and get your bearings, and you can have a cold beer or seven while you figure out what looks good.

When you're in the Scholz area you'll see tailgates in the state lots in the 6-8 square blocks of Congress to Trinity (W->E), 16th to MLK (S->N).

Tailgating is unfortunately spread out across the campus so be wary that you don't set yourself up for hikes all over creation getting from one tailgate to another. There are also some tailgates to the north and east of the stadium but not as many. These are more alum tailgates but all is not lost if you find yourself up that way.

If you're a West Virginia guy, you're not going to see anything as massive as that one lot at WVU. But people generally treat visitors well (whether rooting for the other team or just checking shit out) as long as you aren't a total doucher.

When we played there in 2010, that's basically what we did.  Hangover: check. Scholz for beers: check.  Walk around to random tailgates and get welcomed with open arms and free beers: check.  Enter stadium in blistering heat: check.  Beat Texas 34-12: check.  08BB216D-A00F-4E9B-89CD-BAFBEFEAE68A.thu

6p1xVNo.gif

We were a much smaller group so showing up with 15-20 guys might be tough.  Break into smaller wolfpacks.  

Edited by Sbbruin

1 hour ago, Whitman said:

Rules require that you post pictures of your fiance before recommendations can be given.

1 hour ago, Whitman said:

aee3604824de1805e8c6293e2882d640.jpg

I think I'm going to withdraw my request for pics of finance...  NTTIAWWT.

Well you did ask for pictures of a dude to begin with.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Froghorn717 said:

you can DM me as we get closer - we have a pretty large one that can accommodate (no - we dont charge or anything)*

*assuming we don't get fucked out of our spaces which are in that area near Sholz (block or so towards MLK)

volunteering to accommodate 15-20 total asshole strangers from the midwest for nothing in return.  are you jesus?

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

volunteering to accommodate 15-20 total asshole strangers from the midwest for nothing in return.  are you jesus?

no but when my dad was living in Puerto Rico as a young Doctor - a naked bum ran up to him and started calling him Jesus and kissing is feet... 

Edited by Froghorn717

On 5/31/2018 at 2:28 PM, Froghorn717 said:

no but when my dad was living in Puerto Rico as a young Doctor - a naked bum ran up to him and started calling him Jesus and kissing is feet... 

If you provide an area to tailgate, I won't kiss your feet... but I'll be just as happy as that naked bum

Head to the alumni center across from the stadium....its mostly 26-29 year olds and the beer is really cheap and the food is really good.  It's also not very crowded.  Plenty of space to sit and relax. 

Oh.....also, I'm totally full of sh**.

On 5/31/2018 at 1:14 PM, Froghorn717 said:

*assuming we don't get fucked out of our spaces which are in that area near Sholz (block or so towards MLK)

we did not get fucked out of our spaces - so yeah - you can crash ours if you want - DM when we get closer to gameday