2022 PGA Championship at Southern Hills

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Spieth can be such a fuckin' head case sometimes.  Right now he can't buy a putt and it's primarily due to shit circling around in his head... 

And another bogey -- just not right mentally today on the greens.  Has no confidence putting right now, and spending way too much time grinding over a 4ft putt with Greller.

Painful to watch on the greens today...

4 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Do people really not know what the word "fore" means?

Two theories on "fore"

So "fore" has been part of golf for a long time.

Theory 1: 'Fore!' Evolved from 'Forecaddie'

Historians at the British Golf Museum (and many others) have surmised that the term "fore," as a warning in golf, evolved from "forecaddie."

A forecaddie is a person who accompanies a grouping of golfers around the golf course, going forward on each hole to be in a position to pinpoint the locations of the group members' shots. If a member of the group hits an errant shot, the forecaddie tracks down the ball and lets the golfer know its location.

In the early days of golf, golf balls were handmade, always custom-ordered and, therefore, expensive. Losing a golf ball was a real hit to the pocketbook well into the 1800s. So the forecaddie's role in olden times was even more important to golfers.

The most plausible theory about the evolution of "fore" as a golf term is that it is a shortening of "forecaddie." A golfer who hit an errant shot, the theory goes, yelled to the forecaddie to make sure they were watching and tracking. Perhaps they originally yelled out "forecaddie," but, ultimately, the shortened version "fore" is what caught on.

Theory 2: 'Fore!' Has a Military Origin

Another popular theory, one cited by the USGA Museum, is that the term has a military origin. In warfare of the 17th and 18th century (a time period when golf was really taking hold in Britain), infantry advanced in formation while artillery batteries fired from behind, over the heads of the infantrymen. An artilleryman about to fire would yell "beware before," alerting nearby infantrymen to drop to the ground to avoid the shells screaming overhead.

So when golfers misfired and sent their missiles - golf balls - screaming off target, "beware before" was shortened to "fore."

Those are the two theories most commonly cited, but, as noted, nobody knows with certainty how fore became a golf term.

What can be said with certainty, however, is that the term does originate in the fact that "fore" means "ahead" or "before," and, used by a golfer, is a warning to those ahead that a golf ball is coming their way.

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Jordan finishes +2.  7 back.  will have to go pretty low tomorrow.

Hoping afternoon scores are high today to keep both Jordan and Tiger in the mix -- make the cut and maybe a big weekend puts them in contention late on Sunday.  

if y'all are looking for anybody to root for, give a good thought to Jessie Mueller.  he is a PGA club pro from the Grand Canyon University Golf Club in Phoenix.  he won the PGA Pro Championship last month in Austin to qualify.  he's 2 under through 8.  seems like a good dude.

https://www.pga.com/story/pga-light-shining-brightly-on-mr-hollywood-the-ppc-champion-jesse-mueller

55 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

if y'all are looking for anybody to root for, give a good thought to Jessie Mueller.  he is a PGA club pro from the Grand Canyon University Golf Club in Phoenix.  he won the PGA Pro Championship last month in Austin to qualify.  he's 2 under through 8.  seems like a good dude.

https://www.pga.com/story/pga-light-shining-brightly-on-mr-hollywood-the-ppc-champion-jesse-mueller

Do the PGA Club pro's get to keeping "winnings" in this tournament ??  😕

Sure hope so...

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Because I fucked up and posted in the formula 1 thread.  Alas  

Taking a break now.  Lots of pics to post later.   Here’s a post round Jordan on the range:

0C364240-1DFB-4B41-8C17-ACEBFDDDEA57.jpeg

I didn't watch the round, but based on the comments on this thread, shouldn't Jordan be on the practice putting green?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, miguelito said:

I didn't watch the round, but based on the comments on this thread, shouldn't Jordan be on the practice putting green?

nobody likes to practice putting.  Its all about hittin' the big dog straight!

• Like 1

Spoiler

5th green, and 6th tee.  Southern Hills has a number of holes this week where the tee is immediately behind, or in some cases, to the side of a green (players will be teeing off over the green they just played).   The tee for the 6th hole is behind and to the left of the 5th green, and players are hitting it over the 3rd tee.

IMG_1107.thumb.jpeg.c4ad03cf8e75c24e8f7bb2bc14373d1d.jpeg

3rd tee, with 2nd hole in the background. I don't know who this is.

IMG_1109.thumb.jpeg.f0307edc5c6df3b4fa91eb6b9e567b24.jpeg

Wider shot of the 5th green and 3rd tee, with 6th tee to the right out of frame

IMG_1111.thumb.jpeg.9ca853375a3095b20bb58241481a9578.jpeg

6th green, with Stewart Cink, Padrig Harrington and Jason Dufner

IMG_1121.thumb.jpeg.d58a2a97cdc2a32e192da570e5af42e6.jpeg

Cink and Harrington on the 7th tee

IMG_1127.thumb.jpeg.ddd86e83fc745301534d186a91218c15.jpeg

IMG_1129.thumb.jpeg.949d44988eb5d1d0de62b3d84d07e75d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

IMG_1137.thumb.jpeg.84a9cfc3b1ef7fe551b44ee758334039.jpeg

When Dufner putted out on 6, he tossed his ball to a kid in front of me.  No pic of that, but just wanted to mention it.

IMG_1139.thumb.jpeg.0c79ffdd4e78c09826d16a17617cabfe.jpeg

IMG_1142.thumb.jpeg.69eee9659624363dc862d692318faad4.jpeg

7th fairway

IMG_1144.thumb.jpeg.1a0138d626a5844667a706b0b3013ab1.jpeg

A big ass drone was flying just off the course.  Have no idea if it was for TV, or security, or whatnot

IMG_1146.thumb.jpeg.94d4315c5e12faf904a848ee267f153a.jpeg

Fleet of mowers

IMG_1147.thumb.jpeg.357b344f43efb16caaae4afc3f418782.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

Those random pics of the drone and the mowers are the best ones.  I'm pretty sure the drone is TV.  Could you hear it?  Those drones are the death knell of the tower cams and blimps. 

Oh hell yes.  It was very loud; which is the only way I would have noticed it was there.  It was hovering behind the 8th green, maybe 100 feet up.  Much louder than my DJI drone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Great pix.  However, next time .. may I suggest .. take @kingkoopa6 and @Burt along to capture the “human interest” angle.

I contemplated that, because there was, um, a lot of opportunities.  However, I'm not suave enough and I would have coughed or something while in the act and pointed out by security or some such, so I abstained.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I contemplated that, because there was, um, a lot of opportunities.  However, I'm not suave enough and I would have coughed or something while in the act and pointed out by security or some such, so I abstained.

I get that … which is why I suggested leaving those “opportunities” to the professionals. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1