Replacing U-joints on Pickup

It's a 3 hour job, tops, if you have the right tools.  I do not.

Took truck to shop 2 blocks from work, very reputable. "It's going to be a week"  Not to repair it, but to look at it and give me a quote.

"People leave their vehicles here for 7 days just to get an estimate? It's just the 2 u-joints and I am telling you what I want done."

"yes they do. and our guy will have to look at it."

I nodded and walked out.  That's just fucking stupid.  If they don't need the business, maybe that was a nice way of saying it.

Leaning towards buying the required tools out of principle.

Step 1: remove driveshaft

Step 2: take to machine shop to have new U joint pressed in.

Step 3: reinstall driveshaft

Or, get a 12 pack, a socket set, a couple of 2x4s and a big C clamp and press the fuckers yourself. 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Not a job that requires specialty tools….You either need a pair of needle nose pliers or a small torch to melt the wax if it isn’t held in with snap rings

Yeah, mine has the nylon injected joints.  Have watched videos and multiple folks have said it's not necessary for the replacement parts.  To your point it's just about getting the old ones out.

14 hours ago, slorch said:

Yeah, mine has the nylon injected joints.  Have watched videos and multiple folks have said it's not necessary for the replacement parts.  To your point it's just about getting the old ones out.

Just a torch on the ears. And watch out because the glue has a tendency to pop out and you don’t want it landing on you. 3 beer job. No fucking way I’d wait a week. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 6:58 PM, Gil Bang said:

Step 1: remove driveshaft

Step 2: take to machine shop to have new U joint pressed in.

Step 3: reinstall driveshaft

Or, get a 12 pack, a socket set, a couple of 2x4s and a big C clamp and press the fuckers yourself. 

I did option two a few years ago. Bent the first C clamp. Wised up and used a torch when I started cranking down with the second C clamp and it popped right out.