Books Being Challenged in Eanes ISD

atomheartbevo

I browsed through a few of the complaints and they are just uninformed criticisms. The proper response from the school district should be an auto rejection of any complaint that doesn't include references and a valid argument.

A fucking ignoramus shouldn't have any input on public education.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, F250 said:

I browsed through a few of the complaints and they are just uninformed criticisms. The proper response from the school district should be an auto rejection of any complaint that doesn't include references and a valid argument.

Godamnright.gif

In comparison to the challenges, which are hand written scrawls on a form letter, many of which aren't even in complete sentences, all the reviews put out by the district are well written with documentation. The reviews utterly refute any argument that the book should be banned. Every book has won multiple awards, and meets the local and national criteria for nonfiction books for young or teenage readers. None of the books are required reading for a class, save one that I saw which was on the required reading for an AP lit class. Many of them are designed for those reading below level or are reluctant readers, hence the inclusion of books about zombies or whatever.

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

A gathering of bitches

I'm a fan of Graham Norton's show and he had an episode with Chris Pine and Benedict Cumberbatch and the host was discussing their fan bases, which are respectively: Pine Nuts and Cumberbitches (self-named by fans apparently).

Therefore, my nomination for plural forms would be:

Cunterbitches

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I wonder if realtor Brian Talley who specializes selling homes in Eanes ISD is the same Brian Talley who is a racist cunt.

http://www.searchaustinhomes.com/agents/brian-talley/

https://www.facebook.com/BrianTalleyRealtor/about/?ref=page_internal

Used to live in my neighborhood and you’ll be shocked to learn he headed the HOA. He is most definitely an asshole. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Brian Talley's is the worst. It reads like his mom made him turn it in.

brian-1.thumb.png.fbc91a1114e756b42cb90a492d89421b.png

brian-2.thumb.png.cce24832b098b4cda769e9c4650760a0.png

• Haha 3

The Handmaid's Tale made the cut--go Margaret. Read that book twice when I was in school.  Books leading towards a thoughtful, progressive society getting trampled by mom's in liberty t-shirts seems contrarian to their message about liberty.  Seems like others should counter having their liberties stricken by the censorship crew.  

39 minutes ago, F250 said:

His citation was "these books." lulz

Like I mentioned, these parents were the ones that the other students in the class gave the coloring pages to in order to achieve the state of Texas statutes regarding group projects.

Work collaboratively with others to develop a plan of shared responsibilities...

"Hey! Someone pass Brian the markers. He needs to have something to do while we research Manifest Destiny and the Mexican-American War."

Addendum:

The snarky tone above is intentional and it is not to direct ire towards someone who may be of limited intellect. It is the shallow nature of their claims that deserves derision. The former HOA realtor is likely able to parse his little sales contracts down to the minutiae but cannot sit and coherently give a concise cohesive argument to support his opinion that a book or books should be removed not just for his student, but students at large from this day forward. 'Because I said so!' is a sandbox whine and should be treated as such.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
addendum
  • Like 1

Whoa.  I know Greg and there's no way he's aware of this guy's conservative views, or he wouldn't be giving him a testimonial.  Not that it matters, but he's been in that house for well over 20yrs (25 maybe?), so it's not exactly a relevant endorsement.

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

8 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

While I appreciate the stand the Eanes ISD has taken, this could have been prevented by preemptively insisting that any book challenge not be permitted by form letter but instead each individual book challenged must be accompanied by a five page double spaced book report, complete with supporting citations (appropriately formatted using MLA or other guide) and original statements regarding the offense noted with due explanation. Any evidence of plagiarism would be sufficient to toss out any challenge.

Most of the challengers are not capable of such due diligence as it was likely not something with which they are familiar.

That would shut down things faster than putting sheet music in front of a guitarist.

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

5 seconds after she put down the mic, Tall Boy in the audience jumped back in his truck behind him, pulled out his phone, and delivered an on-point video screed.

b31.jpg

• Haha 7
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Of course he’s a fucking realtor. 

also he was trying to get any book mentioning Black Lives Matter banned. love his answer to this question

Q: What do you believe might be the result in using this resource?

A: Confusion and distress between a parent and a child due to conflicting values related to faith, equality, and the US Constitution. 

how about this Q and A as well..

Q: In its place, what resource of equal quality  would you recommend that could be used to teach similar subject matter?

A: The Bible, but that is personal.

The Handmaid's Tale made the cut--go Margaret. Read that book twice when I was in school.  Books leading towards a thoughtful, progressive society getting trampled by mom's in liberty t-shirts seems contrarian to their message about liberty.  Seems like others should counter having their liberties stricken by the censorship crew.  

How else are girls going to prepare for their future if you ban the manual?

giphy.gif
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I'm a fan of Graham Norton's show and he had an episode with Chris Pine and Benedict Cumberbatch and the host was discussing their fan bases, which are respectively: Pine Nuts and Cumberbitches (self-named by fans apparently).

Therefore, my nomination for plural forms would be:

Cunterbitches

I love that episode.  Those are two men I wouldn't mind being between if you get my drift.  

Back to these cunts with too much time on their hands, fuck you for going after Beloved and the other Toni Morrison book.  I had to read Beloved in high school senior AP Lit.  It is a slog of a book, but important.  Your little, entitled mini-cunts should have to read the Cliff Notes just like I did.

(I tried to read it, but I really struggled.  Same with Crime & Punishment.)

• Fuck You 1

I’m subbing today at Hunters Creek Elementary in the heart of Memorial. The kindergarten kids had a play today. I wasn’t surprised at the uniform d’jour of the dads who attended. It was literally one of two different things;
1) Costa trucker hat with Costa sunglasses on the bill (because it’s rude to wear sunglasses inside but cool to wear a hat). Short sleeve button up Columbia fishing shirt, Columbia fishing shorts, and either Crocs or New Balance “coaching shoes”.
2) Costa trucker hat with sunglasses on the bill (because it’s rude to wear sunglasses inside but cool to wear a hat). Short sleeve button up Columbia fishing shirt, jeans, and flat-toe boots.

The aggy rings couldn’t be counted from where I was, but I’m almost positive we’re looking at an 80-90 percentile in that category as well.

• Haha 8

39 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

I’m subbing today at Hunters Creek Elementary in the heart of Memorial. The kindergarten kids had a play today. I wasn’t surprised at the uniform d’jour of the dads who attended. It was literally one of two different things;
1) Costa trucker hat with Costa sunglasses on the bill (because it’s rude to wear sunglasses inside but cool to wear a hat). Short sleeve button up Columbia fishing shirt, Columbia fishing shorts, and either Crocs or New Balance “coaching shoes”.
2) Costa trucker hat with sunglasses on the bill (because it’s rude to wear sunglasses inside but cool to wear a hat). Short sleeve button up Columbia fishing shirt, jeans, and flat-toe boots.

The aggy rings couldn’t be counted from where I was, but I’m almost positive we’re looking at an 80-90 percentile in that category as well.

Those outfits are required uniforms for aggy alumni. From what I can tell most aggy do their shopping at Academy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

I hate these people with the fire of a thousand suns, but don't you dare lump me and my New Balance dad shoes in with this cunt ass bitches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Homesickhorn said:

ah, the Chip Gaines look.

• Haha 1

Hunters Creek has a Longhorn plurality.  That really is not Aggie country.
Great school district.

Fact. Unfortunately, the majority of the teachers are aggy. There are plenty of Longhorns on the staff, but aggy still outnumbers them 2 to 1. That’s specifically at HCE, the district itself is lights out, and arguably one of the best in the state let alone the city.