True Detective Season 1

ATexanAbroad

It’s legit one of the most perfect single seasons of TV you will ever watch. Avoid the internet. Do not google anything. Just let it wash over you, as it was meant to be.  Two actors, at the absolute top of their game, with a young director and screen writer who were given the room and finances to work a great story.

”I can see your soul at the edges of your eyes.”

And a perfect set of tits. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mach 1 said:

I'll echo above.

It's so detailed and complicated and disturbing. Never seen anything like it before or since.

When Russ gives the grieving, arrested mother his line - fuck me, the show held back nothing.

I almost quoted that, but I was worried I’d catch a time out without context. 

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

One of the best single seasons of TV ever. The Shaggy thread was epic, I’m sorry you’ll miss that. It released weekly so we were all trying to predict what the hell was going to happen.

And oh yes, peak Alex D.

THE BEST single season in history. And damn the thread was truly awesome

• Like 1

Spoiler

While I LOVED the ride until the finale, overall the season did not deliver.  You don't get to introduce hundreds of McGuffins and red herrings and deliver absolutely zero payoff.  By not delivering on any of the plot points, everything that came before it was basically filler material to obscure the fact there was not much story there and to stretch this out to a full season of TV. 

14 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:
  Hide contents

While I LOVED the ride until the finale, overall the season did not deliver.  You don't get to introduce hundreds of McGuffins and red herrings and deliver absolutely zero payoff.  By not delivering on any of the plot points, everything that came before it was basically filler material to obscure the fact there was not much story there and to stretch this out to a full season of TV. 

yeah it was the best build-up in any season of television, maybe.  the end did not deliver. 

Edited by futureman
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I thought season 3 was worth it, but def skip season 2

i saw the ads for season 3 and thought it looked good.  so much of the impact of season 1 is tied to the deliverance, snake handler, bayou uncomfortableness.  the slow isolated creepy world tied nicely with the slow creepy dialogue-heavy story.  then they immediately go to california and lose all that.  3 looks like they try to capture that original feel at least with some ozark thing.  i feel like i should watch it but 2 sucked so bad i couldn't compel myself.

• Like 1

What was everyone expecting/hoping for in the ending?

Spoiler

The serial killer was brought down, and a much wider conspiracy of child kidnapping and murder was exposed, involving among others the evangelist dude that was brother to the governor or something.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Augustus said:

What was everyone expecting/hoping for in the ending?

Reveal hidden contents

The serial killer was brought down, and a much wider conspiracy of child kidnapping and murder was exposed, involving among others the evangelist dude that was brother to the governor or something.  

Spoiler

carcosa

• Like 2

I binged this years later and while it was fantastic, I at first could not understand the breathless hype and obsession that the thread on ToS enabled and activated. It was later explained to me that there was something lost with being able to go ep to ep back to back and that the week of anticipation and theory and such was invigorating.
spoiler: 
Spoiler

Which was anti-climatic because the end/reveal was such a wet fart compared to what random posters were coming up with if they were the writers which ranged from genius to insane. Must have been a bit more disappointing for those with the huge build up week to week versus just binging.

Agree 100 percent. You are correct about the ending.

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i saw the ads for season 3 and thought it looked good.  so much of the impact of season 1 is tied to the deliverance, snake handler, bayou uncomfortableness.  the slow isolated creepy world tied nicely with the slow creepy dialogue-heavy story.  then they immediately go to california and lose all that.  3 looks like they try to capture that original feel at least with some ozark thing.  i feel like i should watch it but 2 sucked so bad i couldn't compel myself.

season three is not bad television. you have probably spent time watching worse. give it a shot. 

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:
  Hide contents

In retrospect, Carcosa/Yellow King was a clever red herring. Yes people were pissed off with the ending, but in the week to week episode format it created some fascinating rabbit holes to run down. 

Spoiler

Carcosa was explained. not a red herring.