True Detective Season 1

ATexanAbroad

16 minutes ago, huge said:

The one shot scene of McConnaghey dragging whoever it was (I forget) out of that shitty trailer park was one of the most impressive technical things ever filmed

If you are talking about the scene where they rob the housing projects, I completely agree. It is the main reason I think that episode is some of the best television ever made. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

If you are talking about the scene where they rob the housing projects, I completely agree. It is the main reason I think that episode is some of the best television ever made. 

Yes.  Thrilling

Ginger. It was Ginger. Those punches and pistol whips must have fucking hurt, because Ginger was completely at Rust’s mercy to go wherever he led. I realize he also needed Rust to get him out of there alive. 

Also Rust took a baseball bat hit. All those drugs gave him the Blitzkrieg. 

11 minutes ago, Elvis said:

Ginger. It was Ginger. Those punches and pistol whips must have fucking hurt, because Ginger was completely at Rust’s mercy to go wherever he led. I realize he also needed Rust to get him out of there alive. 

b977c9325c5398c3c1fc580bb1f10534888e34be

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Elvis said:

GIF matthew mcconaughey martin hart true detective - animated GIF on GIFER  - by Bloodfury

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Spoiler

The scene in the housing projects and the scene in the bayou where they are explaining what happened while showing what actually happened on two different timelines are absolutely some of the best television ever. 

Count me in as a huge fan of the first season.  Perhaps neck and neck for the entire series of Breaking Bad for me.  I recall after watching the ending the first time that I thought Rust should have died.  But after a couple of viewings I was ok with the ending (even the very little glimpse of the Yellow King).  Said it before on this site, but I am hoping that Rust and Marty reprise their roles in a story that happens in Texas.  Something down along the border.

Speaking of Carcosa, here are a few of my photos from the location I took in 2019:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

Just finished my third time through the series.

My God, Rust's story in the wheelchair outside the hospital, about the darkness and his daughter and father...  Got a lump in my throat, watery eyes.  That may have been MM's finest moment as an actor, and he's had some incredible moments.

I honestly have no idea what's the basis for anyone's dissatisfaction with the ending.  Rust was sounding like a nutjob conspiracy theorist with his suspicion that there was a cabal of murderous pedophiles in high ranking positions in Louisiana, and of course we learned he's 100% correct.  Grandpa Tuttle created who knows how many monsters abusing his own children and (bastard) grandchildren, and somehow managed to meet up with some like-minded psychopathic pedophiles, some of whom we saw in the Marie Fontenot video.  

Rust gets vindicated by a story that goes national, and Errol Childress gets his head blown off.

If the Yellow King/Carcosa stuff is what you're talking about, I can't imagine what you were expecting/hoping for.  That was obviously the mythology of the freaks behind the serial child rapes/murders, and really, what else could it've been.  I can't figure what you were hoping to learn or see.

I thought the ending was powerful and wholly satisfactory, which doesn't happen often.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Everyone talks about Episode 4 being the highlight of the series, but i think Episodes 1, 2, and 3 taken together is about as perfect as it gets. While Episode 4 is technically brilliant and enthralling TV, the tonal change that Episode 4 brought jars a bit. Maybe that was needed to sort of release some energy, i don't know.

I am not intentionally trying to be a contrarian on this, just my 2 cents.

oh, and my favorite quote of the series? 

Jake Herbert : So you're telling me the world isn't getting worse? I've seen kids today all in black wearing makeup, shit on their faces, everything is sex, Clinton.

Detective Marty Hart : You know, throughout history, I bet every old man probably said the same thing. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.

-

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 5

18 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Everyone talks about Episode 4 being the highlight of the series, but i think Episodes 1, 2, and 3 taken together is about as perfect as it gets. -

Which episode had naked Daddario in it?  That was the highlight of the series.  

But that aside, this series was just amazing.  I need to rewatch it, along with the Wire and maybe the Sopranos.

4 hours ago, yoladu said:

Everyone talks about Episode 4 being the highlight of the series, but i think Episodes 1, 2, and 3 taken together is about as perfect as it gets. While Episode 4 is technically brilliant and enthralling TV, the tonal change that Episode 4 brought jars a bit.

100%

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 2:17 AM, Augustus said:

Just finished my third time through the series.

My God, Rust's story in the wheelchair outside the hospital, about the darkness and his daughter and father...  Got a lump in my throat, watery eyes.  That may have been MM's finest moment as an actor, and he's had some incredible moments.

I honestly have no idea what's the basis for anyone's dissatisfaction with the ending.  Rust was sounding like a nutjob conspiracy theorist with his suspicion that there was a cabal of murderous pedophiles in high ranking positions in Louisiana, and of course we learned he's 100% correct.  Grandpa Tuttle created who knows how many monsters abusing his own children and (bastard) grandchildren, and somehow managed to meet up with some like-minded psychopathic pedophiles, some of whom we saw in the Marie Fontenot video.  

Rust gets vindicated by a story that goes national, and Errol Childress gets his head blown off.

If the Yellow King/Carcosa stuff is what you're talking about, I can't imagine what you were expecting/hoping for.  That was obviously the mythology of the freaks behind the serial child rapes/murders, and really, what else could it've been.  I can't figure what you were hoping to learn or see.

I thought the ending was powerful and wholly satisfactory, which doesn't happen often.

WTF man.  Spoiler that shit! Now I've got no reason to watch.

Spoiler

again :)

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

WTF man.  Spoiler that shit! Now I've got no reason to watch.

Hide contents

again :)

Damn, I felt awful there for a moment.

I suppose I should've spoilered it anyway, as there are surely folks who haven't seen it yet, for one reason or another.

They did a good job giving Marty some dumbass moments without the character being a dumbass.  He was a good detective--he's the one who made the connection with green paint on the house--but not very well rounded, culturally.

"I just want you to stop saying odd shit, like you can smell a psycho's fear..."

In another scene, Rust refers to us as sentient meat.  Later on, Marty asks in a by-the-way remark, "What's scented meat?"

If for any reason you haven't re-watched this series, then do so.  It's fantastic the first time, but in subsequent viewings you'll pick up shit you couldn't have known to pay attention to the first time, and it's even better.

2 hours ago, futureman said:

when rust pulls over marty after they hadn’t seen each other in years and then they go to the bar to talk and then to the storage unit… that whole progression was tense, great television.  

On second thought, you buy me a beer.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

This show is best binged. Not having that week long interruption makes for a far better experience. S1 had some magnificence to it.

Not true. Watching it as it aired and coming back to TOS to discuss shit about the show was a blast. That thread slammed and went as hard as the season did. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

So if one is new to the show , are you recommending watching it one ep a week ?

Eh….can’t really replicate the energy around the show so go ahead and binge it. Unless you can find the thread from TOS, do an episode a week and follow along that thread. That might give you a small taste 

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

So if one is new to the show , are you recommending watching it one ep a week ?

I think I'd watch 2 episodes, then re-watch them.

You should also be able to find some threads discussing the show during its original run.  It'd be worth following the discussion, as you're sure to pick up stuff that other people noticed but you did not.

• 11 months later...

Bumping this thread.

Mrs. Smwhorn and I binged it over the past few days.  It was our first time through.  Really fucking good but there's just some shit I didn't understand or am not smart enough to have caught the first time through.  Unfortunately, it took me 10 years to watch it the first time.  I am going to look for one thing though without binging a second time.  Trying not to "spoil" anything and being as bland and generic as possible, I want to know why they didn't notice the "bad guy" the first time they came across him.

Edited by smwhorn

1 minute ago, smwhorn said:

Bumping this thread.

Mrs. Smwhorn and I binged it over the past few days.  It was our first time through.  Really fucking good but there's just some shit I didn't understand or am not smart enough to have caught the first time through.  Unfortunately, it took me 10 years to watch it the first time.  I am going to look for one thing though without binging.  Trying not to "spoil" anything and being as bland and generic as possible, I want to know why they didn't notice the "bad guy" the first time they came across him.

Detective's curse.  Focusing on the wrong thing.  There are environmental things that obscure and distract, and before they can spend much time with him, they're called away with news on a lead they had been "hoping" would pan out.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/28/2024 at 10:08 AM, smwhorn said:

Bumping this thread.

Mrs. Smwhorn and I binged it over the past few days.  It was our first time through.  Really fucking good but there's just some shit I didn't understand or am not smart enough to have caught the first time through.  Unfortunately, it took me 10 years to watch it the first time.  I am going to look for one thing though without binging a second time.  Trying not to "spoil" anything and being as bland and generic as possible, I want to know why they didn't notice the "bad guy" the first time they came across him.

That may be the most honest depiction of police work in television history. 

Cops don't know shit unless you tell them shit.