2017-18 Dallas Mavericks: Bombing for Bamba

RexWilson

8 hours ago, texasfight2025 said:

Isn’t Porter from Missouri the more likely pick (if mock drafts are to be believed)?

The more we win, the more likely the Mavs are to drop out of the MPJ range. I'm still pulling for the team to tank enough to get MPJ or JJJ and re-sign Noel. A core of DSJ+Barnes+MPJ/JJJ+Noel is pretty promising for the future. 

One more year to watch greatness:

Dirk Nowitzki plans to return for a 21st NBA season, the Dallas Mavericks center told The New York Times this week.

Nowitzki will be 40 when the 2018-19 season begins, but he told the Times that he feels ready for another year.

"As of now, I'm planning to come back," Nowitzki told the Times this week. "I feel great. I've only missed one game all season. I signed a two-year contract because I wanted to play two more years. And here we are."

26 minutes ago, Hornstrader said:

Besides Barnes and DSJ is anybody on the current team going to be around if the Mavs become decent/good again? 

Barnes won't be lol, he's only got 2 more years and then he's a third piece somewhere that's closer to needing a third piece. We better trade him next year for someone with more potential IMO  

To be fair the Blazers failed to even show up tonight. You gotta have the other team cooperate. Can’t just say “I’m losing tonight” and do just that. 

They even tried to throw the game by using nothing but scrubs and DSJ for the last 8 minutes or so. At some point you’re going to win a game because the other team sucks worse than you. 

I mean I guess they could have just played 4 guys all night...is that legal?

Just now, Kevin O’Shea said:

Was at the game tonight, not their fault they won. Portland couldn’t hit shit, Mavs gave them every opportunity in the 4th and they couldn’t beat DSJ and G Leaugers. Very unimpressed with Portland, can’t be the 3rd best team in the West. 

You beat me to saying the same thing. 

They’re getting bounced in the first round. They can’t play on the road. 

All we can hope for is that the mavs Koss the next 3(especially against Orlando) since there’s no way Phoenix beats anyone. 

Harrison Barnes, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Powell, Dennis Smith Jr. all listed out Wednesday

The Dallas Mavericks are in full tank mode, as Harrison Barnes, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Powell, Dennis Smith Jr. will all sit Wednesday against the Pistons. The most popular play on the Mavericks today, will be J.J. Barea. The Magic are one of the worst teams in the NBA at defending the point guard. Maxi Kleber will also be popular, he has scored over 25 FDP in two out of his last three games. Other Mavs in play today include Aaron Harrison, Yogi Ferrell, and Dorian Finney-Smith. On Fan Duel the Mavs have only one player that will play over $5.0K.

http://twitter.com/RotoGrinders/status/981536821162192897

Now, this is what I am talking about. #TeamTank

19 minutes ago, CBT said:

This could be the ugliest game in NBA history.

Per the Twitter, Jonathan Isaac, Jonathon Simmons, Evan Fournier and Terrence Ross will not play tonight against the Mavericks.

Magic favored at home by 3.5.

He might be too good.

Couple of good Dallas points in Lowe's latest. Check it out. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23044990/zach-lowe-10-things-like-including-nikola-jokic-dimes-nba

7. Dennis Smith, posting up?

Hey, look, late-season player development that isn't resting your best players with fake injuries, benching them in crunch time, and playing young guys grotesquely out of position!

Smith has recorded 14 post touches this season, and half of them have come over the past 10 days, per Second Spectrum. This is absolutely worth trying. Smith is 6-3, physical, explosive, and a little nasty. The point guard post-up is an underrated weapon. Post-ups are best used now to draw help and unlock kickout passes. It makes sense to try them with your best passers.

Smith has been thirsty for highlights and points as a rookie, but he has good vision and slings fastballs across the court with either hand. Later against Minnesota, he posted up Jeff Teague again, sucked in help, and fired a lefty crosscourt laser to Dorian Finney-Smith for a wide-open corner 3. He whipped a similar pass the next night on a post-up Rick Carlisle called out of a timeout.

Smith is already comfortable turning for righty hooks and floaters.

This won't work every time, or even most of the time, obviously. Smith is young, prone to bad judgment. When Teague understood what was coming, he stonewalled Smith a little further from the basket.

But it's something to monitor.

8. Harrison Barnes, still an enigma

Barnes remains one of the league's more puzzling players -- not quite the same isolation-heavy scorer he was last season, but not all that much different. He can still be too tentative with the ball:

You have a direct line to the basket, buddy! Take it, and you'll find a layup, or an easy drive-and-kick!

But then you also see passes like this:

Barnes didn't have that in his game two seasons ago, and perhaps not even last season. He barely ran the pick-and-roll, and when he did, it was stilted. His game has tilted a hair more toward traditional perimeter play this season. He's setting fewer screens, and navigating around more as a ball-handler. His drives are up, and his isolations are down, per NBA.com and Second Spectrum. He is attacking the rim with a new physicality, especially when he goes left.

He's jacking about 1.5 more 3s per game over last season, and a lot of the jump has come via tougher off-the-dribble bombs. He has hit 38 percent of those. His rebounds, assists and free throws have all ticked up.

But the gains are small. Two dimes and four free throws per game is still low considering how often Barnes has the ball. Barnes is growing. The NBA is really hard. Some players never grow at all. But Barnes' growth has come in small increments.

59 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

Let's talk tie breakers.  If Mavs, Hawks, and Magic end up with the same record, who gets the better odds in the draft lottery?

Convoluted process.  Teams with the same record will have a coin flip (or whatever for 3-way) for the "base" draft spot.  But the odds of jumping in the Top 3 or Top pick are split between the teams (if 3 normally has a 20% chance and 4 has a 10% chance then they both will have a 15% chance).

• Like 1