2017-18 Dallas Mavericks: Bombing for Bamba

RexWilson

I don't like the 5th spot simply because we're too low for Doncic and too high for one of the wings.

I want to emulate Boston's strategy of loading up on interchangeable wing assets.  Since the Mavs in 2011, it doesn't seem like teams are winning with 7 foot traditional centers.  And this draft is a Center-heavy draft at the top.

Who would be more likely to get playing time on a Finals team in the next 5 years?

Ayton, Bagley Bamba or...
Doncic, Mikal Bridges, Miles Bridges

Jackson Jr. is the only big who looks like a modern NBA big.  And he doesn't really wow me.  He just happens to be okay at the things that matter now.

Oddly enough, I sort of envy the Clippers in having 2 late lottery picks.  They can take the wing players that fall, and they get two.

Edited by fellside

11 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

I can’t believe I just read that the Mavs are interested in pursuing DeAndre Jordan again in free agency. Evidently his big fuck you to the Mavs before wasn’t enough to dissuade them from this absurd chase again.

Lol no way

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

Ive already convinced myself that i'll be happy with any of Mo, Jackson, Porter or Mikal.

In fact thats probably my prefered order

I'm becoming more intrigued by Porter Jr. I like all the guys on your list, but a guy with Porter's size and offensive skill seems invaluable.

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

But that back tho.

I've been a little worried about it too. Saw the following in an SBNation story about Porter though:

"A study done by two orthopedic surgeons from NYU’s Hospital for Joint Diseases, and one from Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Northwestern, compared those who had surgery after disc herniation (like Porter did) and those who chose rehab.

Using PER as a baseline, the study found that in a small, 61-person sample size, those who had surgery had a decline in games played and in PER in the year after their surgery, but showed no difference in the years following. Those who did not choose surgery saw no change in PER or games played, but had shorter careers."

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/5/17/17337374/michael-porter-jr-injury-history-nba-draft-2018-missouri

On 5/21/2018 at 4:47 PM, Ricky Butler said:

I'm becoming more intrigued by Porter Jr. I like all the guys on your list, but a guy with Porter's size and offensive skill seems invaluable.

I’m worried Porter will become this generations Carmelo Anthony. He displayed less of an inclination to pass than the college version of Carmelo and he was a contested jumper monster. Dude had like 1 assist in 50 shot attempts during his 2.25 games in college.

On 5/26/2018 at 5:11 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

I’m worried Porter will become this generations Carmelo Anthony. He displayed less of an inclination to pass than the college version of Carmelo and he was a contested jumper monster. Dude had like 1 assist in 50 shot attempts during his 2.25 games in college.

If he's Carmelo Anthony, that's a steal at number 5.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CBT said:

Pretty sure that came out with all the other Ussery stuff. What a horrible piece of shit.

Pretty sure this is new information. Cubes knew about all this shit. Wonder what the fallout will be -- if there is any.

7 hours ago, CBT said:

There was huge fallout. The CEO and his lacky head of HR were fired. 

Ussery left several years ago, of his own accord. Think the HR guy was simply suspended. I'm wondering what the blowback will be on Cubes. It's becoming quite apparent he wasn't completely honest (at a minimum) when the initial story broke.

Ussery left several years ago, of his own accord. Think the HR guy was simply suspended. I'm wondering what the blowback will be on Cubes. It's becoming quite apparent he wasn't completely honest (at a minimum) when the initial story broke.

Cubes rhymes with pubes. I think that says it all.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some draft centric notes from Fish

Nugs looking to shed Farieds salary.  Would be willing to part with 14.  

Celts rumored to want Bamba.  Mavs could be involved.  Most likely for Jaylen Brown and pick(s).

I think id be more inclined to take the Denver deal if that is actually the case.  But i could see a world thru my mavs colored glasses where both deals could be pulled off.  

Of course im part dumbass

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:

Boston would laugh Dallas out of the room if the offer was the 5th pick for Tatum

Yeah, then they would call back and laugh some more. The original article also mentioned Jaylen Brown as a possibility. I wonder if they really are open to moving him. #firstworldproblems

3 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

boston is not trading tatum.  get that out of your head.

It's all crazy talk. I was surprised they even floated the idea of trading Jaylen Brown. I'd do THAT in a heartbeat because he's a 21 year old wing with a ton of potential. Rozier? No thanks.

On 5/31/2018 at 10:41 AM, TommyGufano said:

Boston would laugh Dallas out of the room if the offer was the 5th pick for Tatum

Beyond that, the report about Boston giving up Brown or more likely Rozier for a swap of picks to get Bamba was simply speculation by Sean Deveney, not reporting.  His report was they had interest in Bamba but he has no idea what they would offer.  I'd take with a healthy grain of salt.  Tatum is pretty much untouchable.

18 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

His report was they had interest in Bamba but he has no idea what they would offer. 

Yeah, but the top of this draft is solid, so it's definitely going to cost them to move up. Celtics are a weird case because they are both "win-now" and "win in 5 years." Maybe they covet one of the top three centers in this draft, and see them as a cornerstone going forward. They do have Hayward, Tatum, and future picks, so they can always address wing depth going forward if they were to trade Brown.

I've been out of the loop the last couple days and I think that Boston chatter has been dispelled, but regardless, no one should be excited about making a trade with Danny Ainge. Especially the Mavs. If hypothetically Ainge genuinely did want Bamba and you're Donnie/Cubes, you turn your phone off, sit your ass down, and mark every single other name off your draft board that's not Mo Motherfucking Bamba.

• Like 1