2017-18 Dallas Mavericks: Bombing for Bamba

RexWilson

On 6/3/2018 at 12:56 AM, D_Goose said:

I've been out of the loop the last couple days and I think that Boston chatter has been dispelled, but regardless, no one should be excited about making a trade with Danny Ainge. Especially the Mavs. If hypothetically Ainge genuinely did want Bamba and you're Donnie/Cubes, you turn your phone off, sit your ass down, and mark every single other name off your draft board that's not Mo Motherfucking Bamba.

While I generally agree with this, Ainge is also the one that wanted to mortgage a lot of the picks from the Nets trade for Justice Winslow. 

Some talk that Memphis wants to part with Pick 4 and Chandler Parsons (salary dump). Fuck Parsons but I’d do that in a heartbeat. Offer Wes and Powell or a future protected 1st, then you have back to back picks at 4 & 5 to build around with DSJ. No brainer, imo, depending on what Memphis wants in return.

Said it in the other thread, but I don't think Memphis wants to simply lose the pick to dump Parsons. They want to use a trade down to dump Parsons.

Moving from 5 to 4 isn't worth taking on that amount of money.

Memphis was tanking harder than any other team and embarrassing themselves in the process. They didn't do that to just do a salary dump.

32 minutes ago, fellside said:

Said it in the other thread, but I don't think Memphis wants to simply lose the pick to dump Parsons. They want to use a trade down to dump Parsons.

Memphis was tanking harder than any other team and embarrassing themselves in the process. They didn't do that to just do a salary dump.

I’d be pissed if I were a Memphis fan if they did trade it just to dump salary... but they are Memphis and are in the position that they’re in for a reason, ie stupid contract decisions.

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

How are the Mavs going to acquire the 4th and 5th pick?

They already have the 5th pick. The Memphis talk is them giving up the 4th Pick mainly to get rid of the Parsons contract, which is awful. All you would need to give back is either a Wes or Dwight or maybe a future 1st

1 hour ago, fellside said:

Yeah, I always thought this scenario would include a player of value going to Memphis. They want to get off wasted money, but they want to win now.

Previous Ringer mock had us taking JJJ, now they have us back with Bamba. You've got all the Woj, Luka trade talk from a couple days ago and then I just saw Russillo tweet he heard the Mavs are interested in MPJ. This all means we probably end up with Mikal Bridges right?

Mavs have always been tight lipped about who they really want. 
The fact that it is so well know they want Doncic is starting to make me think they want to make sure he does no slide to 5 so the big they really want is there. 

This, just look to last year with the Frank smokescreen.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I think we trade up tonight. Trade with Hawks. Swap picks, we take on a salary dump maybe give up a future 2nd or heavily protected first. We get Luka, and Atlanta can still get Trae Young and dump salary.

If we stay put, I think other teams trade up to 3 and 4 and Luka and Bamba will be gone.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

I think we trade up tonight. Trade with Hawks. Swap picks, we take on a salary dump maybe give up a future 2nd or heavily protected first. We get Luka, and Atlanta can still get Trae Young and dump salary.

If we stay put, I think other teams trade up to 3 and 4 and Luka and Bamba will be gone.

Bazemore, perhaps?

11 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Bazemore, perhaps?

I don't quite get the Hawks dumping salary. Aren't they a team like the Mavs that are more interested in taking on bad contracts for assets? I would think teams interested in dumping are those that plan to be active in free agency and those above the luxury tax.

21 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I don't quite get the Hawks dumping salary. Aren't they a team like the Mavs that are more interested in taking on bad contracts for assets? I would think teams interested in dumping are those that plan to be active in free agency and those above the luxury tax.

I assume it’s geared more toward the bottom line and not the luxury tax. Mavs still sell tickets, Hawks do not.

1 hour ago, Ricky Butler said:

It's a shell game using a distressed assets portfolio.  Where can you find value with the players on the board.

51 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

I assume it’s geared more toward the bottom line and not the luxury tax. Mavs still sell tickets, Hawks do not.

Perhaps, but I had read that they were interested in taking on money. Maybe they want to create space to sign some veterans in free agency. They're going to need someone to mentor all these guys they are going to draft tonight.

17 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Allegedly-, the guy who is reporting the trade is saying Doncic+Bazemore for Young+Wes. I'd be amazed if that was it

This would be amazing. The last thing I want any Mavs exec to talk about is "keeping powder dry." Get young players now!

I do think if ATL moves, it's going to be us or Orlando. They have to get one of their guys. Can't trade too far down.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Perhaps, but I had read that they were interested in taking on money. Maybe they want to create space to sign some veterans in free agency. They're going to need someone to mentor all these guys they are going to draft tonight.

It comes down to the Hawks like Young more than Doncic.  So, why not use their position to gather value.  Getting off the hook of 38 million for 2 years could be a good thing especially if they can use that slot or money and pick up another first rounder from other teams looking to dump salary.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It comes down to the Hawks like Young more than Doncic. 

Totally agree if that's the case. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I love Doncic, so I'm running any proposed trades through the filter of "did a twitter Mavs fan just come up with this idea."

7 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

Now Mavs are getting cold feet. Feel they are paying 19 mil to move up 2 spots.

Bazemore is overpaid but not useless. Make him your first guy off the bench.

No the issue is the Hawks want an unprotected 2019 first. To move up 2 spots? No thanks 

if 5/33 and taking on salary isn’t enough than stay at 5 and take Bamba.