The worst selfish asshole thing dumbasses do on the road: pulling out in front of me

markstanco

A college buddy had an idea to remedy this. In each city/county every law enforcement agency that works traffic would be allowed to deploy a titanium vehicle that runs over fools like this. No questions asked. Naturally, there would be no shortage of volunteers for such a fulfilling assignment 

• Haha 1

He probably saw the white truck coming up in the left lane and didn't notice the vehicle passing him on the right. He took the right lane because he didn't want to cut off the truck. That would be my guess. Dude in the white truck should've been in the right lane. 

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Nah, if it were Jesus, He'd have been in a Tesla or a Maserati or Bugatti or something... because, y'know, He could.

I like to picture jesus as a lead vocalist for a Lynyrd skynyrd concert. And I'm in the front row, hammered drunk!

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He probably saw the white truck coming up in the left lane and didn't notice the vehicle passing him on the right. He took the right lane because he didn't want to cut off the truck. That would be my guess. Dude in the white truck should've been in the right lane. 

What the fuck are you talking about?  That person pulled out way too close for either car. In other words, even if OP hadn't been hauling along next to white truck, it was still terrible driving.

Actually some fucktard did the exact same thing to me this morning.  However I knew that 1) he was a contractor type guy driving a little Ford Ranger type of mini-pickup, and 2) correctly assumed he was dumb as dick dirt, so I braked well ahead of time although I had to pull pretty good to avoid the dumbshit. 

Thus, most of the time if you go around assuming that, although no one would mistake you for Einstein, you're way, way, way smarter than 97% of the population you come in contact with, and always assume that the other guy is going to do something absolutely fucking shitbrained, you expect it and once again save some shitbag from extinction, because you're smart enough to control his existence, never mind yours.

It's a simple rule, really.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TornACL said:

What the fuck are you talking about?  That person pulled out way too close for either car. In other words, even if OP hadn't been hauling along next to white truck, it was still terrible driving.

Yeah there’s a remedy to all this. It’s called the long peddle to the right

6 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

A college buddy had an idea to remedy this. In each city/county every law enforcement agency that works traffic would be allowed to deploy a titanium vehicle that runs over fools like this. No questions asked. Naturally, there would be no shortage of volunteers for such a fulfilling assignment 

Why titanium?

5 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Actually some fucktard did the exact same thing to me this morning.  However I knew that 1) he was a contractor type guy driving a little Ford Ranger type of mini-pickup, and 2) correctly assumed he was dumb as dick dirt, so I braked well ahead of time although I had to pull pretty good to avoid the dumbshit. 

Thus, most of the time if you go around assuming that, although no one would mistake you for Einstein, you're way, way, way smarter than 97% of the population you come in contact with, and always assume that the other guy is going to do something absolutely fucking shitbrained, you expect it and once again save some shitbag from extinction, because you're smart enough to control his existence, never mind yours.

Pretty much this.

5 hours ago, phdhorn said:

I think this pretty much sums up “defensive driving” but more succinctly than an eight hour class.

On 5/31/2018 at 5:22 PM, phdhorn said:

This is the correct answer. Not saying that the car wasn't a dumbshit, but you should always assume that they are. You have to capitulate to survive and advance. The optimal solution would have been to back off and get behind the white truck then advance without having to slam on the brakes. Yeah, you still get cut off and slowed egregiously, but your overall advance improves. It's 3D chess. Or Frogger. Or something like that. 

11 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Sucks when theres not a merging lane in the middle of the road for people like her to use.  That would have solved the problem easy.

Hope you don’t mean a center turn lane, because it is not legal to use those as merge lanes. 

5 hours ago, RPM said:

This is the correct answer. Not saying that the car wasn't a dumbshit, but you should always assume that they are. You have to capitulate to survive and advance. The optimal solution would have been to back off and get behind the white truck then advance without having to slam on the brakes. Yeah, you still get cut off and slowed egregiously, but your overall advance improves. It's 3D chess. Or Frogger. Or something like that. 

The thing is, about 75% of the time, the dumbshit in the other car meets your worst expectations.

5 hours ago, RPM said:

Something like this. After seeing her shoot across, more than likely she's going to end up in your lane. Either way my foot would've been off the gas as soon as I saw it and the brake applied a lot earlier. But I'm also the best driver here, so...

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It's not legal to go 79 in a 75 either, but you got to do what you got to do.

In Texas, exceeding the posted speed limit is only prima facie evidence of speeding. Conditions may warrant a higher speed that is perfectly safe and legal. And yeah, Texas is one of the minority of states that takes this approach to speeding. As far as I know, treating a center turn lane as a merge lane isn't legal anywhere in the US. It is dangerous because the oncoming drivers often have no way of knowing which lane the left-turning driver will try to occupy.

From the, this happens to other people file.  Last night 6/3 late, tooling home from the GF's all smooth and shit.  I'm in the left lane on a darkened city street goin 40, car on the right goin 39 and I'm pulling ahead.  All of a sudden 'she' smashes brakes and the tires begin to squeal.

Reflex.  I brake too.  In that moment I see a human, rag dolling in the street in front of us. 

I do the 911.

Get out and go to the body, a nurse person has on gloves, and asking him quessions.  One of which was, 'have you had anything to drink'?

To which his reply was, yeth I hads 1 beer.

Was happy to see the flashing reds and can't find account in the morning news.

14 minutes ago, NastyDreams said:

From the, this happens to other people file.  Last night 6/3 late, tooling home from the GF's all smooth and shit.  I'm in the left lane on a darkened city street goin 40, car on the right goin 39 and I'm pulling ahead.  All of a sudden 'she' smashes brakes and the tires begin to squeal.

Reflex.  I brake too.  In that moment I see a human, rag dolling in the street in front of us. 

I do the 911.

Get out and go to the body, a nurse person has on gloves, and asking him quessions.  One of which was, 'have you had anything to drink'?

To which his reply was, yeth I hads 1 beer.

Was happy to see the flashing reds and can't find account in the morning news.

You're drunk right now, aren't you?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

So you chose legal stupid and dead.  I'll choose illegal not stupid and alive.  Lets see who wins.

I choose patient, legal, and safe. When there is no foreseeable break in traffic, I turn right and find somewhere to double back. Your way is only “safe” once you’re in the center turn lane, by which point you may have caused a wreck in the lanes coming from your right because they locked it up due to the idiot swerving into traffic. 

• 3 months later...
Yea, that wouldn't have worked even with my 440 horsepower vehicle. Maybe watch the video again?

What kinda vehicle are we talking about?
Highway 59 just South of Texarkana.  There are numerous dangerous spots on it between TXK and Houston where the road isnt truly divided. 

No kidding. Hate that mess.