Fuck you for not securing your shit

Jameslaw121

Hit an extension ladder on I-20 west of Fort Worth in my 88 Mercury Cougar back in ~1990.  Bent a plate that protects the exhaust pipe up to the point it was touching the pipe and giving me a constant very high pitched metal-on-metal squeak.  Took it to the local muffler shop the next day, dude lifted it up on the rack, found the source of the problem, bent the plate back into place and sent me on my way with no charge.  That and a little paint loss from the very bottom of the air dam up front was it, didn’t even knock the wheels out of alignment.

Happened at night, with low beams on and my GF distracting me I didn’t even have time to come off cruise control before I hit it.  Probably a good thing.

1 minute ago, SurlyGator said:

Hit an extension ladder on I-20 west of Fort Worth in my 88 Mercury Cougar back in ~1990.  Bent a plate that protects the exhaust pipe up to the point it was touching the pipe and giving me a constant very high pitched metal-on-metal squeak.  Took it to the local muffler shop the next day, dude lifted it up on the rack, found the source of the problem, bent the plate back into place and sent me on my way with no charge.  That and a little paint loss from the very bottom of the air dam up front was it, didn’t even knock the wheels out of alignment.

Happened at night, with low beams on and my GF distracting me I didn’t even have time to come off cruise control before I hit it.  Probably a good thing.

Sounds like you were lucky the bump didn’t make the gf bite down. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

When I saw thread title , first thought was, ‘ I bet it was a motherfucking ladder.’

Sorry about the vehicle and the experience for your wife. Glad little one wasn’t in there.

Saw ladders way too often in Houston metro on freeways.  Concur with your overall sentiment of the thread, bigtime.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:40 AM, Lat22 said:

I see two or three ladders a week on Houston roads.  It's not that hard to secure stuff.  I drive a flatbed pickup carrying shit all day.  I've never had anything come off of my truck.  Glad she's ok.  That looked like a [Larry Mac] hard lick [/Larry Mac].

I probably just jinxed the shit out of myself.

I was driving to IAH 2 weeks ago and had to swerve to miss a ladder and then a tire that I narrowly avoided and then followed me up 59 for about 2 miles before it finally hit the barrier. 

On 5/18/2022 at 9:40 AM, Lat22 said:

I see two or three ladders a week on Houston roads.  It's not that hard to secure stuff.  I drive a flatbed pickup carrying shit all day.  I've never had anything come off of my truck.  Glad she's ok.  That looked like a [Larry Mac] hard lick [/Larry Mac].

I probably just jinxed the shit out of myself.

This.  All you do is give it a shake and say "that aint going nowhere."

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 6:01 PM, Jameslaw121 said:

I don't know that that would have been better. She (used to) drive a honda fit. If it was one of those cheap aluminum ladders, maybe. but if it was a heavy duty ladder, I think it would have been alot worse. 

Has anyone heard from @ROFL BOX lately?

• Like 1