Primary Night - Tuesday May 24

Pancho

58% of the vote is in and Edwards is still holding around 5 points ahead of Cawthorn (seems like a bunch of Election Day votes are going to other candidates as well).  Cawthorn might just get a runoff, but again, nearly 70% of the state is voting against him.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Cawthorn crossed the 30% threshold for a runoff, but only 51% of precincts are in, and he's still got the problem that nearly 70% of the voters are voting against him.

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2022/results/north-carolina/republican-primaries/us-house-district-11

Doesn't matter if Cawthorn gets 30 percent if he still has fewer votes than the Edwards guy. It only goes to a runoff if both of them are below 30 percent.

From the NYTimes:

The number to keep in mind is 30: The top finisher in North Carolina primaries must gain a plurality of more than 30 percent of the vote or face a runoff against the second-place candidate.

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Doesn't matter if Cawthorn gets 30 percent if he still has fewer votes than the Edwards guy. It only goes to a runoff if both of them are below 30 percent.

I totally blanked on that. Cawthorn has gained a little bit as they hit 60% reported.

It'll be tight though.

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I totally blanked on that. Cawthorn has gained a little bit as they hit 60% reported.

It'll be tight though.

Yeah, no worries. It's kind of a weird concept for us Texans, and I also had to double check. "So, you leadin' the race but got only 30 percent? I s'pose that's good enuff."

At the same time, if we had that rule in Texas, I think it'd would've changed a bunch of primary races where the initial leader lost in the runoff after his/her opposition consolidated. I'm too lazy to check right now, but I think that's how Cruz ended up beating Dewhurst.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Hot wheels might pull it out in Nawf Carolina.  down only 2,000 or so.

Bunch of votes left in Buncombe County where Edwards has a sizeable lead.

image.thumb.png.d71d5f883daefd624fec2d5c561b049f.png

image.png.711aab4aa3de7f30ceaf24daf7990a22.png

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/05/17/us/elections/results-north-carolina-us-house-district-11.html

Edited by bolverk
don't know if paywalled but added link anyway

Buncombe is almost out of votes to count and Edwards is up only 1700. Bulk of remaining votes are now in those red circle counties above with one last good chunk coming from Henderson, which is one of those yellow ones.

ETA: Lead now down to 1600 on latest update.

Edited by bolverk

Love seeing Pat McCrory cry

Charles Booker choosing to run for Senate again instead of a layup for Louisville mayor is interesting

PA Republican Gov candidate moved forecast to lean Dem from Toss Up, PA Sen will be important because the Gov ticket wont help make the Senate race more competitive

Didn't know shit about this GQP gubernatorial candidate, Mastriano, but holy shit. From wiki:

In April, Mastriano spoke at and raised money for his campaign at a far-right Christian conference called "Patriots Arise for God and Country" in Gettysburg.[91][92] The conference promoted conspiracy theories including that there is a global cabal of Democrats sex trafficking children, 9/11 was a false flag attack, vaccines amount to genocide therapy and Adolf Hitler faked his death.[91] Jewish organizations criticized Mastriano following the rally due to the improper use of Jewish symbols as "campaign props" to open the event.[87]

• Pancho changed the title to Primary Night - Tuesday May 24