Operation Cobalt Magnet 22 - Nuke Attack Exercise in Austin

atomheartbevo

If you've been seeing dudes running around in all kinds of vehicles, with low-flying helicopters flying very aggressively, and various types of protective clothing, no, they aren't here to save us from ERCOT or Californians, but they are from 30+ local, state, and federal agencies.  I've been seeing the helicopter(s) (haven't checked tail numbers to see if it's multiple) - Hueys in a nice paint scheme with all kinds of data gathering instruments hanging off of them, flying low and fast and making me wonder if somebody is driving around with a simulated nuclear bomb that the helicopters are scanning for. I'm sure the pilots are enjoying the hell out of it, so here's hoping whatever government contractor does their maintenance does a good job so that something doesn't go wrong and they plow into a residential area or a school (which they've overflown one several times now).

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-to-hold-exercise-simulating-a-radiological-incident-next-week/

https://www.energy.gov/nnsa/articles/nnsa-working-federal-state-and-local-partners-hold-major-radiological-incident

More than 30 local, state, and federal agencies will hold a major radiological incident exercise in Austin, Texas, during the week of May 16-20. The Cobalt Magnet 22 exercise, which is led by the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration, brings numerous agencies together to ensure preparedness against radiological threats. 

Cobalt Magnet 22 is the culmination of 18 months of planning by local, state, and federal responders. Taking place at various locations around the city, the exercise will simulate a radiological attack, enabling response personnel to practice protecting public health and safety, providing emergency relief to affected populations, and restoring essential services. 

During the week, members of the public may see field teams in protective clothing using radiological monitoring and detection equipment, low-flying aircraft conducting data-gathering overflights, and groups of first responders and others staged at various locations. The exercise is part of a regular program of training, exercises and planning by which NNSA and federal, state and local partners prepare to protect public health and safety. 

“The men and women of the Nuclear Emergency Support Team – or NEST – are trained to provide decision-makers with timely, actionable scientific advice during fearful events,” said Jay Tilden, DOE’s Deputy Under Secretary for Counterterrorism and Counterproliferation. “Saving lives and reducing the impact of a nuclear incident requires a full understanding of what happened, who will be affected, and what the optimal response should be. NEST’s bread and butter is providing that information to local, state, and federal leaders as rapidly as possible.”

NEST is NNSA’s multi-mission nuclear emergency response capability, providing highly trained and equipped scientists and technical experts to contend with any conceivable nuclear or radiological challenge. During Cobalt Magnet, NEST will provide radiological monitoring and assessment assistance to state and local leaders to make informed public health and safety decisions. NEST will also work with local, state, and federal law enforcement to conduct radiological search operations and identify potential threat devices.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Who were the idiot posters who cried about Jade Helm? We can expect them shortly to bitch about this or did they learn not to be so easily duped by Russian bots?

Them boys from the Bastrop Walmart, they were dead within three hours. Buried in the damn pines out past the State Park. I still got the shovel.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Am I the only person who has a batshit crazy relative into conspiracy theories, and when they hear about something like this they text you something like "you make fun of me, but don't you think this is weird that this is happened after all the stuff in Ukraine" and my response is "Look, I can't talk to you about this on mobile phone, but you know that I have a friend who works at Camp Mabry, and all I can do is ask if you have a bug out bag ready, and how fast can you drive to Hearne?"

Thinking of changing your phone number? Read this first. - Trapcall

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

Am I the only person who has a batshit crazy relative into conspiracy theories, and when they hear about something like this they text you something like "you make fun of me, but don't you think this is weird that this is happening after all the stuff in Ukraine" and my response is "Look, I can't talk to you about this on mobile phone, but you know that I have a friend who works at Camp Mabry, and all I can do is ask if you have a bug out bag ready, and how fast can you drive to Hearne?"

Look if my option is post apocalyptic wasteland or hearne, I’m all in on the wasteland.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Their black blue/gray/silver UH-1 was flying low and fast again over our area.

Hopefully they aren't actually scanning for anybody who built a small home reactor based on Mr. Fusion from Back to the Future

Suspicious Meme GIF by MOODMAN

or looking for weed...

• Drool 1

7 hours ago, Captainant said:

Ah, good ol russian disinformation campaigns. It's wild to look back at how long they've been working the most chudley marks among us

What's really wild is that people who actually looked at where all of the Jade Helm stuff was happening (size of the operation area, etc.), and what units were publicly involved and what they were doing, quickly figured out that it was a trial run for the US putting special operations folks into Syria and how they would move around various areas (rural, urban, etc.) over long distances, which then happened in Syria.

And a lot of the conspiracy nuts were of the type not to want us to get further involved in other countries, and had they spent a few minutes online on the saner parts of the internet, and then start screaming from the rooftops that we were about to get involved in Syria in a major way, would have actual credibility.

But no, they were too fucking busy chattering about underground concentration camps and Walmarts turned into death camps and secret tunnels stretching between Texas and California and how a few hundred Green Berets were going to round up millions of Texans for those concentration camps and underground Walmarts.

And of course with this current exercise,  InfoWars made the leap to Jade Helm.

https://www.infowars.com/posts/radiological-exercise-in-austin-tx-to-feature-low-flying-aircraft-attack-simulation/

The NNSA and local agencies did not say whether Austin is under a viable radiological threat, or is considered to be a target.

The federal drill is reminiscent of the controversial Jade Helm 15 training exercise in 2015, in which the military gathered human domain analytics with soldiers operating “undetected amongst civilian populations” to see if they could infiltrate without being noticed.

Oh, hey, this exercise that was planned over the past few years is *probably* related to threats from Russia (gotta read between the lines).

The exercise comes as NATO and its allies have continued to prop up Ukraine in its war against Russia, provoking the former Soviet nation which has full nuclear capabilities. Agencies did not say the drills were in response to any type of threat from Russia.

On a side note, I talked to somebody who participated in Jade Helm (not a part of the state's "monitoring", but actually participated in the exercise).  They found the conspiracy nuts to be downright hilarious, had that photo above framed and hanging in an office at their base, and even thought about how they could fuck with the nuts (but didn't due to time and operational constraints of not being detected).  And the state's monitoring was bullshit as well - the whole point of the exercise was to avoid being noticed, and so they fed the "monitors" enough to pass on to various people/officials above them to make them think they were being monitored (and the NG/etc. who were supposed to monitor it knew they were being given false info/shown false events).  They said the crap with the "monitoring" was actually useful in the exercise as well, since they'd be working with partners in the Middle East that they couldn't trust not to blab about it somewhere.

This current exercise on the other hand is curious, not for conspiracy bullshit reasons, but whether it's related to J.J. Pickle's reactor, or if it's because Texas has nuke power plants or whatever.  Chances are the people involved with this exercise won't be talking about it in a few years, at least not why they picked Austin.  Probably not a lot of cities the size of Austin with actual nuclear facilities located within them, not to mention the collection of various state and federal agencies available in Austin.   Based on the helicopter flight patters, I'm betting Camp Mabry was also a staging area.