Broken Window Pane Replacement

I need to replace a single glass pane on window. Size is about 31” wide and maybe 25” tall. Had a company come out and the quote they sent back was $350. That seems crazy. Anyone have experience with this? I looked on YouTube, perhaps I can do it myself?

I’ve tried buying glass from Home Depot and cutting it with the tool and it turns out like shit. But if you’re really OCD you can probably cut it yourself and I think glass tops out around $30, maybe less. 

you can probably find a shop to cut a piece for you for $75 or less. 

My handyman charges me 175-250 depending on if it is first floor or second. 

It’s usually not that difficult once you have the glass depending on your frame. Post a picture of what you have. 

This is on a house we are remodeling and renting. This is a back window that likely will have blinds or drapes closed all the time so I was hoping to just replace the glass vs. the whole double pane section. It is pretty small so $350 seemed like a lot. They don’t want to replace the single pane because it will get moisture between the panes pretty quickly they said. I’m tempted to give it a try.

d6158ffc9e91a4675ac6ffc1b0291481.jpg
5d286083684cbae044c5b618c2414b53.jpg
178b9fbc45f86a6aee9398fff733426d.jpg

You might find a cheaper quote but I don't think you would find anyone who is going to try and replace just a single pane of a double pane window. At very most the quote might be $100 too high... for a remodel job your going to be able to save more with your time somewhere else.

You might find a cheaper quote but I don't think you would find anyone who is going to try and replace just a single pane of a double pane window. At very most the quote might be $100 too high... for a remodel job your going to be able to save more with your time somewhere else.

I agree, we are just at the very end of the remodel and I am pretty over cash going out the door. Need to get it rented and cash coming in. Funny how little stuff like this can be difficult, yet I just dropped $16k on a concrete driveway! It’s just such a tiny window and the quote kinda shocked me.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Former glass and window salesman here.  You can't just replace one piece of glass in a double paned window.  The two panes are sandwiched around a spacer bar that is filled with desiccant and then sealed with melted butyl. Even if you were inclined to try, I doubt you could get the outer pane completely removed. That butyl sealant is some sticky shit. Use a heat gun to melt the sealant if you want to try. Even if you were somehow able to do it, though, the space between the two panes will fog up instantly and look like shit.

If you are inclined to do this yourself, it is fairly easy, but you will need to get an insulated glass unit made to do it right. They are custom made to order. You will probably fuck up the measurements if you try to do it yourself. So you will probably end up ordering two. You have to provide the position of the muntins (the bars inside the glass) with the measurements. Also, fucking with glazing bead is a challenge if you don't know what you are doing.  You'll probably fuck that up the first time too.

If it was me, I would pay the $350 to get this done once and done right. That's not outrageous.

Former glass and window salesman here.  You can't just replace one piece of glass in a double paned window.  The two panes are sandwiched around a spacer bar that is filled with desiccant and then sealed with melted butyl. Even if you were inclined to try, I doubt you could get the outer pane completely removed. That butyl sealant is some sticky shit. Use a heat gun to melt the sealant if you want to try. Even if you were somehow able to do it, though, the space between the two panes will fog up instantly and look like shit.
If you are inclined to do this yourself, it is fairly easy, but you will need to get an insulated glass unit made to do it right. They are custom made to order. You will probably fuck up the measurements if you try to do it yourself. So you will probably end up ordering two. You have to provide the position of the muntins (the bars inside the glass) with the measurements. Also, fucking with glazing bead is a challenge if you don't know what you are doing.  You'll probably fuck that up the first time too.
If it was me, I would pay the $350 to get this done once and done right. That's not outrageous.

See post above, another company came out and replaced it for $157. I didn’t say but it was replaced with a double pane window. It looks great and matches the old windows. Woot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk