Bee attack kills landscaper in Austin.

Armybrat

16 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So is an attack like this something that can kill most people, or is it more likely he had an allergic reaction?

I took the risk and looked it up for those allergic to Google:

https://www.mitecalculator.com/bee-yard-blog/2019/5/24/how-many-bee-stings-will-kill-you

But hypothetically, and assuming we have no allergy to bee stings that could amplify their lethality, if we suit up in shorts and a t-shirt and get into a hot hive—or one that’s Africanized—just how many stings could we endure before we succumbed to them? The key piece of info on the above graphic is that a lethal dose of venom from a honey bee is 2.8 mg per kilogram of body weight. From that, we can do some figurin’…

Average weight of an adult male in North America: 178 lbs (80.7 kg)

Lethal dose required for average male: 80.7 kg X 2.8 mg = 226 mg

Approximate amount of venom in one honey bee sting: 59 micrograms

Stings per lethal dose: 226 mg / .059 mg = 3831 stings

So given a little bit of data, we conclude it would take 3831 honey bee stings to kill a 178 lb adult male.

Edited by clapclapclap
No idea how many mite bites can kill you

I love bumblebees.  They are normally docile, and perform the essential task of pollinating just about everything.  I let wildflowers grow in large parts of my yard so that I can watch them, honeybees, wasps, and butterflies flit from flower to flower, keeping the world growing.   

A couple of years ago I mowed over one of their nests, and they were definitely not docile about it.  Before I could get away, I was stung at least 40 times.  Obviously didn't kill me, but made me so sick that I had to go to the ER.  I haven't vomited like that since my college drinking days, and it dehydrated the hell out of me.  For two weeks I had a copper taste in my mouth, and some of the places that I was stung still itch when I get sweaty. 

0/10.  Would not recommend.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

https://www.mitecalculator.com/bee-yard-blog/2019/5/24/how-many-bee-stings-will-kill-you

But hypothetically, and assuming we have no allergy to bee stings that could amplify their lethality, if we suit up in shorts and a t-shirt and get into a hot hive—or one that’s Africanized—just how many stings could we endure before we succumbed to them? The key piece of info on the above graphic is that a lethal dose of venom from a honey bee is 2.8 mg per kilogram of body weight. From that, we can do some figurin’…

So given a little bit of data, we conclude it would take 3831 honey bee stings to kill a 178 lb adult male.

Africanized hot hive?

That’s truly horrifying. Seems like quite a dick move by everybody around to not get the ladder put back up, and surely SOMEBODY had some wasp/bug spray. Maybe it wouldn’t have helped in the end, but it doesn’t sound like anybody did much for 10 minutes while he screamed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Africanized hot hive?

Who knows.  I really expect to read something like this about the hot Austin beekeeper chic who does removals with a veil or gear.  She’s gonna get fucked up one of these days.

4 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

So now even the damn bees are using metric system.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

A decade or two ago, you'd hear a lot about Africanized bees in Texas, and after an attack like this there'd always be something said about getting some kind of analysis done to confirm if the swarm was Africanized or "standard."  But in recent fatal bee attacks I rarely even see that question asked or answered. Are Africanized bees still a thing here?

36 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

A decade or two ago, you'd hear a lot about Africanized bees in Texas, and after an attack like this there'd always be something said about getting some kind of analysis done to confirm if the swarm was Africanized or "standard."  But in recent fatal bee attacks I rarely even see that question asked or answered. Are Africanized bees still a thing here?

The current zeitgeist doesn’t allow bee discrimination 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

will the homeowner be subject to litigation of some kind? 

731CD048-1B63-4407-B4D7-2B2E0BB010B5.gif.d4297b4822d14b541902ba64cc382305.gif

Bilingual Bee Warning signs missing! This will be the largest Bee Injury Rico action since Sheriff Skeet put his business in that Bois D’Arc knot hole. 

Average of 62 people a year die from bee, hornet, or other sorry assed mfers.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/68/wr/mm6829a5.htm#:~:text=Among U.S. residents only.,high of 89 in 2017.

Among U.S. residents only.

During 2000–2017, a total of 1,109 deaths from hornet, wasp, and bee stings occurred, for an annual average of 62 deaths. Deaths ranged from a low of 43 in 2001 to a high of 89 in 2017. Approximately 80% of the deaths were among males.

Those big green sand hornets were bad. It left a pretty good sized welt. The seven yellowjacket stings just pissed me off. 

I have some questions. Did he see bees and plow on through? Did the homeowners know of them? If he didn't know and went near them did he have time to get out after he started cutting?

And most importantly why the hell didn't they put back the ladder? No ground crew? 

3 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

When I was in Arizona, there were no native honey bees left. They were all africanized.