Bee attack kills landscaper in Austin.

Armybrat

20 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I love bumblebees.  They are normally docile, and perform the essential task of pollinating just about everything.  I let wildflowers grow in large parts of my yard so that I can watch them, honeybees, wasps, and butterflies flit from flower to flower, keeping the world growing.   

A couple of years ago I mowed over one of their nests, and they were definitely not docile about it.  Before I could get away, I was stung at least 40 times.  Obviously didn't kill me, but made me so sick that I had to go to the ER.  I haven't vomited like that since my college drinking days, and it dehydrated the hell out of me.  For two weeks I had a copper taste in my mouth, and some of the places that I was stung still itch when I get sweaty. 

0/10.  Would not recommend.

My Dad ran over a bumblebee nest in a pasture on our ranch when I was a kid. He got nailed in the back of the head a couple of times. He parked the shredder back over their hole and left the shredder running, ran to the truck and came to the house. Went back an hour later and turned off the tractor. 
CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

My Dad ran over a bumblebee nest in a pasture on our ranch when I was a kid. He got nailed in the back of the head a couple of times. He parked the shredder back over their hole and left the shredder running, ran to the truck and came to the house. Went back an hour later and turned off the tractor. 
CHIEF

An hour? How many bales of hay did he get?

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

While I have never seen a bee attack claim, the answer is yes.

It wouldn’t let me edit.

i wanted to add that your insurance company has a duty to defend you.  It is unclear to me whether this particular homeowner would be found liable, as landscapers getting stung by bees is kind of part of the gig (this is obviously an extreme case), but if they were found liable they would be covered up to policy linits.

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

I thought about that later, but at the time I was just trying to get away.  I didn't know exactly where their nest was, and I wasn't going back until they chilled out.  Besides, I want them all alive to go about their pollinating business.  They didn't do anything wrong.

On 5/21/2022 at 10:57 AM, clapclapclap said:

I took the risk and looked it up for those allergic to Google:

https://www.mitecalculator.com/bee-yard-blog/2019/5/24/how-many-bee-stings-will-kill-you

But hypothetically, and assuming we have no allergy to bee stings that could amplify their lethality, if we suit up in shorts and a t-shirt and get into a hot hive—or one that’s Africanized—just how many stings could we endure before we succumbed to them? The key piece of info on the above graphic is that a lethal dose of venom from a honey bee is 2.8 mg per kilogram of body weight. From that, we can do some figurin’…

Average weight of an adult male in North America: 178 lbs (80.7 kg)

Lethal dose required for average male: 80.7 kg X 2.8 mg = 226 mg

Approximate amount of venom in one honey bee sting: 59 micrograms

Stings per lethal dose: 226 mg / .059 mg = 3831 stings

So given a little bit of data, we conclude it would take 3831 honey bee stings to kill a 178 lb adult male.

But way fewer than that many stings to rather be dead