Better Call Saul- returns August 6th

Goo Punch

Just finished binge watching this the last few days. And reading this thread as I went along to see insights and perspectives I might have missed. The end was fucking good. It started off a little slow but they ended with a bang. I enjoyed the German construction storyline. We are presented with Kai as a guy who might be dealt with later. I had no idea it would end up being the crew leader who was the loose cannon. You could tell it pained Mike to do what he did to him. He tried as much as he could to deal with another way with Gus but no half measures. I guess he fucked up too much. From getting drunk in the bar and telling about what he was doing. Then taking off. I thought Gus might try and get him to finish his work since they were already so behind and deal with him after. But I guess he crossed a line there was no coming back from.

Loved we got introduced to Gale.

I enjoyed seeing Chuck and Jimmy having a moment together after he officially became a lawyer. Even though Chuck in his usual fashion had to have the moment be about him (stealing the mic). But they both enjoyed it. We never really saw that during the show.

I did think they could have got Jimmy to Saul a lot quicker. They kind of milked this along but I don't mind. But we are finally having more and more of the Breaking Bad world collide with the Better Call Saul world.

The lengths they went to get Huell's case dropped was so over the top but that made it so great. That was Jimmy at his best. Him being the pastor was great.

I'm guessing this has about 2 seasons done. Maybe even like what Breaking Bad did. Two 8 episode seasons.

6 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

They wouldn't be showing those scenes if they weren't planning on having some extended time in it. At worst we'll get an episode of Omaha epilogue, at best we'll get an entire season. 

An entire season post BB would be weird.  I realize the Venn diagram almost completely overlaps, but there have to be some people watching BCS that never saw BB.

1 hour ago, Angry Gorilla said:

An entire season post BB would be weird.  I realize the Venn diagram almost completely overlaps, but there have to be some people watching BCS that never saw BB.

Maybe some but very little. And even then, that is their issue. They know Better Call Saul is a Breaking Bad spinoff/prequel. They can easily watch it if they want by now. I would love to see what happens to Saul once he goes to Nebraska. Not sure about an entire season but more than just an episode.

Also, I agree with whomever said this show does not have great replay value. I love the show but don't think I can ever go back and watch it again. Even with as good of a finish they had to this season. Breaking Bad's replay value for me is off the charts. Seen it twice through and might go back and watch it a third now that certain elements are being introduced in a prequel sense from Better Call Saul. Gives you a better understanding and perspective. And will do it even more as this show continues and gets closer to the Breaking Bad time frame.

4 minutes ago, Lurch said:

A Day in the Life should have just been the piano chord and saved us all 4 mins.

Not really the same comparison. There was no filler in that song. There has been a good chunk of it in this series. Breaking Bad for me almost had none besides that shitty Fly episode. But I get this show will never be like that and that is just fine. I just think it could have gotten from Jimmy to Saul a season earlier. 

I contend that what some are calling filler is really the whole reason for the show. The cinematography, score, character development, dialog, acting, suspense, misdirection... that’s what it’s about. It’s not all just a conduit for feeding us the outcome (which was known!)

Now, I’m not suggesting it was all perfect or high level art that only a few “get”, but I do give it more leeway than some in that regard. Stop and smell the roses.

• Like 2

yeah there are so many great shots in the series.  in the penultimate episode, the scene where jimmy is packing up his shit in the bed room and kim is sitting in the living room, but the camera captures the mirror in the bedroom so they're both in the same shot despite being in separate rooms was fan-fucking-tastic.

and the shot in where mike kills werner may have been the best shot in both BCS and BB.

22 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

the shot in where mike kills werner may have been the best shot in both BCS and BB.

That was a helluva scene cinematically. The delay between the flash and the bang. The lights in the background. The whole thing was just beautifully shot. I'd expect that kind of quality from an Oscar contending film, not a basic cable TV show.

I finally watched the finale. What a great way to wrap up the season. 

I agree with the analysis of why Kim would be upset, but I really don’t have any sympathy for her. She has known who Jimmy truly is for a long time, and she fanned the flames by pushing their cons and helping Jimmy con his way back into the bar. She is a naive fool if she thought Jimmy would ever truly walk the straight and narrow, or ever feel true grief for Chuck’s death.

That being said, I loved how they foreshadowed the event. It was the Potter Stewart moment for Kim. 

Edited by Planet Houston

On 10/10/2018 at 12:04 PM, Lobo said:

Say what you want about Lalo, he's quite resourceful and nimble for a run-of-the-mill trafficker.  Guy has obviously had some training.  

And man, I really want to eat that taco that he made for Nacho. Looked tasty.

On 10/16/2018 at 7:54 AM, NorthLoop said:

They wouldn't be showing those scenes if they weren't planning on having some extended time in it. At worst we'll get an episode of Omaha epilogue, at best we'll get an entire season. 

I agree. A full season might be a little much but possible. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Will Vince go the route of Breaking Bad with a 2 part Season 5 to finish the show? Maybe about 8 episodes apiece. Or would that be too much? I would like to see more than just an episode or 2 on the aftermath of all this when Saul is in Nebraska fearing for his life. 

I suspect the show will end, whenever it ends, with Saul getting clipped by whoever he's running from.  

This show is Vince and Peter Gould's. They are going to decide how it ends whether or not how much they "run" the show day to day. They are not handing this over to someone else to decide what to do with the direction and how it ends. They can help guide it but this will end how Vince and Peter wants it to and as of July, Vince said he doesn't know how it ends yet.

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I suspect the show will end, whenever it ends, with Saul getting clipped by whoever he's running from.  

he's gonna run into Kim again in Omaha right before the cartel catches up to him and kills her trying to get to him. Cut to Jesse making a box. Fin. 

I would assume such episodes would have more content driving an actual plot. These seem to be just to reinforce the long, strange road ahead of the Jimmy we’re still rooting for during the BCS timeline: from good to bad to slinging mall pastries and fearing his own shadow.

18 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

This show is Vince and Peter Gould's. They are going to decide how it ends whether or not how much they "run" the show day to day. They are not handing this over to someone else to decide what to do with the direction and how it ends. They can help guide it but this will end how Vince and Peter wants it to and as of July, Vince said he doesn't know how it ends yet.

Agreed. No way the two of them don't write, direct, or have a major say in how things end up. And whatever they do I am sure it will be awesome. 

12 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

so am i totally alone in not wanting to see whole episodes/parts of a season devoted to cinnabon jimmy?  even the 3-4 minutes flashes sometimes drag on too long for me.

I'm not opposed to how they choose to tell the story. I remember not really liking/caring about Walt in New Hampshire. Look how great that played out. Vince should never be underestimated. However BCS ends, it will have a sad ending with a seamless transition into BB. I'm hoping for a Kim/Giselle spinoff into uncharted waters. 

1 hour ago, RPM said:

I'm not opposed to how they choose to tell the story. I remember not really liking/caring about Walt in New Hampshire. Look how great that played out. Vince should never be underestimated. However BCS ends, it will have a sad ending with a seamless transition into BB. I'm hoping for a Kim/Giselle spinoff into uncharted waters. 

well technically they didn't spend much time in nh.  they fast forwarded what, a year or so, before he decided to head back and wreck shop?

obviously if they have some similar plan (and they might) for "gene" then i'm going to watch and if it's awesome, i'm happy to eat my words.  but as of now, i guess i just don't love odenkirk playing a nervous, jittery troll in nebraska.  jimmy i like, saul i love.  we'll see where it goes.

I fell behind and finally just finished the finale.  Man those last few episodes were great.  The way the Germans storyline played out was masterful.  Kai was a great red herring and then Werner was a great instrument to see Mike cross the line that he wouldn't last season.  Also, the look on Werner's face when he finally realized how much shit he was in was fantastic.  In a lot of ways he foreshadows (retroactively foreshadows?) Gale's fate.  They both seemed like good guys who took pride in their work but never should have gotten involved with Gus.

Then Jimmy pulled off maybe he best con yet.  Even Kim was pulled in and of coursed she was pissed off about it.  She knows she should have known better.  The board members were really moved.  I can't imagine they're going to be too happy when Jimmy changes his name to Saul Goodman, starts running trashy commercials on cable, and helps scumbags get off.

Edited by WBT

2 hours ago, WBT said:

I fell behind and finally just finished the finale.  Man those last few episodes were great.  The way the Germans storyline played out was masterful.  Kai was a great red herring and then Werner was a great instrument to see Mike cross the line that he wouldn't last season. Also, the look on Werner's face when he finally realized how much shit he was in was fantastic.  In a lot of ways he foreshadows (retroactively foreshadows?) Gale's fate.  They both seemed like good guys who took pride in their work but never should have gotten involved with Gus.

Then Jimmy pulled off maybe he best con yet.  Even Kim was pulled in and of coursed she was pissed off about it.  She knows she should have known better.  The board members were really moved.  I can't imagine they're going to be too happy when Jimmy changes his name to Saul Goodman, starts running trashy commercials on cable, and helps scumbags get off.

i bet i would have gotten a lot more enjoyment out of this show if i was able to binge it from front to back without stopping at all, never mind for these absurd lengths of time we've had between seasons. how long ago did we see tuco and his grandma? mrs.kettleman? mike disarming the tool in the parking garage? feels like a lifetime ago to me. your comment made me realize that i don't even remember last season, or very much about the show in general due in part to how long the offseasons have been.

unfortunately, as i've mentioned before, a giant portion of this show just doesn't have great "rewatchability", so i don't really plan on trying to ever binge the show like that. oh well. still better than most of what's out there, i just hope than any ensuing seasons can get here much faster than they have been previously. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, WBT said:

Oh and in the scholarship scene I was waiting for Jimmy to say that the girl was right there in the meaty part of the curve, not showing off and not falling behind.

We had this idiot in my fraternity who finished last in his class.  He became an architect.

Seriously though---think about the fate of our two scholarship winners in their universe.  Gale and this girl now receiving a Chuck McGill scholarship.  I bet we see her next season and something bad happens to her.  

Can a lawyer in New Mexico really assume a new identity by simply filling out a d/b/a?

It’s not like the New Mexico Bar Association granted a license to Saul Goodman. In addition to the ethical implications (candor anyone?), it seems like the licensing authority would have something to say about it.

8 hours ago, Player said:

Can a lawyer in New Mexico really assume a new identity by simply filling out a d/b/a?

It’s not like the New Mexico Bar Association granted a license to Saul Goodman. In addition to the ethical implications (candor anyone?), it seems like the licensing authority would have something to say about it.

yeah, i was thinking about that.  as much as "changing your name" is a normal legal decision (i guess), you would think doing it as a licensed attorney would be a little more complicated (right?).

seems like, 'yeah, i was a troublemaker my whole life, but i studied and passed the bar, so now i'm gonna practice law under this new name" would be an issue.

It turns out that a lawyer in NM can change their name on the official roster maintained by the bar association by filing a form. But the form has to be accompanied by a marriage decree, divorce decree, or a final order from a civil court that grants a petition for a name change.

Filing a d/b/a alone apparently wouldn’t do it.

I’ll take Walter white assembling a robot helicopter gun in the back of his car but I’ll be dammed if I’m gonna buy that Saul Goodman just uses that as a DBA and still maintains his bar registry under James McGill.  

19 hours ago, Lobo said:

Seriously though---think about the fate of our two scholarship winners in their universe.  Gale and this girl now receiving a Chuck McGill scholarship.  I bet we see her next season and something bad happens to her.  

She didn't win. That's what Jimmy's speech was about.

No one cares about Jimmy in Nebraska and it really doesn't make sense for him to be tracked down and killed there.  What would be interesting is Jimmy coming back to New Mexico for some compelling reason.  Based upon his personality, I don't see Jimmy living to a ripe old age selling Cinnabons at the mall.  He has a character flaw that prohibits him from staying on the straight and narrow - I think his ego makes him risk a trip back to Albuquerque.