Better Call Saul- returns August 6th

Goo Punch

48 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I'm wondering if the thief got the statues mixed up. The manager flushed the toilet right as the thief was about to make the switch.

Nah.  He's going to use his $4K to start a pest control company called Vamonos Pest.

Personally I think what Jimmy read outloud was not the words on the letter from Chuck.  Kim read it first but she was overcome with emotion as Jimmy made up the words from Chuck to make her feel better.

That is a weird theory, I mean he plainly offered to let her read it alongside him. Although it would point to her starting to realize what a shitbag he is. I was struck that he managed to get out of bed and leave the house for probably at least an hour and all she said in the morning was, "You slept late." She's smarter than that imo.

32 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i gotta say, the amount of people here who thought that Jimmy was making the letter up as he went along was baffling to me. that thought never crossed my mind, and i don't think that's what happened.

Yeah.  He didn't make it up.

Like others said, Kim was upset because she sees that Jimmy has detached emotionally. 

Chuck was a royal prick toward him in the later years. How he felt years ago means nothing to Jimmy - he wanted Chuck's love and respect to have been ongoing.

Yes, Kim knew both of them - the good and the bad. - and her reaction was puzzling to me at first because we know that she knew how Chuck treated Jimmy.

but "emotionally detached" nails it.

This is the first time for her to see Jimmy not give a shit. In her eyes, Jimmy always forgave Chuck no matter how bad things got between them.

11 hours ago, PilotsError said:

I think that scene showed she's horrified at the thought of continuing on as their counsel.

10 hours ago, HouTex said:

My thought as well. They will need at least a regional, if not national, firm to handle the legal work and Kim is smart enough to know that. She could do a piece of it and make sure good local counsel is selected in each state, but this is way beyond the capacity of a solo practitioner.

I thought it showed that Kim is still haunted by the fact that she only has this client and all this work because Jimmy duped Chuck and forged those documents to make it look like Chuck fucked up.  This has always bothered Kim.  She knows she can do all the work.  She could hire associates and build a small firm based on this client.  But she knows she only got Mesa Verde because Jimmy was a piece of shit.

She was looking at all of the models and all of the potential work and thinking, “I didn’t earn this.”

That was my take.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

I thought it showed that Kim is still haunted by the fact that she only has this client and all this work because Jimmy duped Chuck and forged those documents to make it look like Chuck fucked up.  This has always bothered Kim.  She knows she can do all the work.  She could hire associates and build a small firm based on this client.  But she knows she only got Mesa Verde because Jimmy was a piece of shit.

She was looking at all of the models and all of the potential work and thinking, “I didn’t earn this.”

That was my take.

Yup. She is riddled with guilt that Chuck died and she is at least partially responsible. Meanwhile Jimmy is cheerily eating corn flake and gives zero fucks about Chuck's death or the letter.

On 8/21/2018 at 2:53 PM, Bartles said:

That is a weird theory, I mean he plainly offered to let her read it alongside him. Although it would point to her starting to realize what a shitbag he is.

He also showed it to her at one point to show her how it was signed.  Plus, the envelope was still sealed when he opened it.  So that would mean she would have to have had to steam it open?  Yeah that seems like a stretch to me.  Much more likely it was all just to show the viewer Jimmy’s emotional detachment and Kim’s frustration with it.

I saw something a while back, don't remember if it was a tweet or at some panel, where someone speculated that Kim, having left her hometown as fast as she could (her words), might not have had the best family life, and Rhea Seehorn replying, "yeah, I could see that".  So it might come up again in the future where she's upset because she never had a sibling/family member show her that kind of love.  Or she lost someone close to her as well a long time ago and can't understand how Jimmy could just dismiss Chuck's feelings..  Or it could be total bullshit.  Just spitballin.  

On 8/21/2018 at 9:56 AM, PilotsError said:

I think that scene showed she's horrified at the thought of continuing on as their counsel.

I just caught up, was in the throes of a hellish two-week family visit when s3 premiered.

the way this sequence was shot conveyed this visually in a pretty cool way. When Kim enters the bank, we see her from an extreme low angle.  Which makes her look like a giant - imposing, confident, feeling good.

when she leaves, we see Kim from the complete opposite angle.  It’s an extremely high angle looking down on her, dwarfing her, making her look small and vulnerable against the big, imposing cowboy statue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jw4381 said:

Nothing for tonight?

We were thinking Kim's got something wrong with her from the car crash. Head injury that wasn't caught or something. 

My take is she's eat up with guilt. She knows Jimmy scammed Chuck to get her Mesa Verde and it drove Chuck over the edge. Now everything she does with Mesa Verde just amplifies the guilt. I think she's looking for an exit and get back to trial work. The Judge threatening to make her do pro-bono just fit like a glove. "Oops, sorry I missed that important deadline, but the Judge ordered me to take this case." The preview hinted as much.

I have a problem with Mike's warehouse scene where he's inspecting the load. Walking down the dock you see all the yellow safety loading lights pointed at the dock floor instead of inside the trucks. If he's really as nitpicky about stuff like barely worn straps, why is he using a pen light in a workspace instead of the safety loading light?

i didn't understand the scenes with the judge whose court she was observing. what was that about?

He says he’s seen lawyers that have lost their love for the profession come in and observe hoping to find a career case that reignites their spark. He says there are no such cases, go back to earning coin with your bank practice. He fails to sway her, or that’s not what she was looking to do. I wondered if she wanted his seat perhaps.

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

He says he’s seen lawyers that have lost their love for the profession come in and observe hoping to find a career case that reignites their spark. He says there are no such cases, go back to earning coin with your bank practice. He fails to sway her, or that’s not what she was looking to do. I wondered if she wanted his seat perhaps.

Yeah, it's all teeing up her and Jimmy drifting further apart.  He's drifting toward the more sleazy parts of what got them to this point and she's drifting away from them.  Kim wants to get back to her version of the real world...clients and cases that weren't acquired with fraud which lead to the death of a family member.  Jimmy wants to get back to his version of the real world...stealing shit and scamming people and using his legit front job to network with criminals.  The other side is eating each up (cell phone store worker in therapy is going to suck for Jimmy and Mesa Verde and the direction it's headed is going to suck for Kim) and will eventually drive them apart.

• Like 1

I love the way the opening scene was set up, and it reminded me how much I love how these creators / directors frame a scene and tell a story.

Reminds me a little bit of starting with an extreme closeup and then slowly panning back to give more information to the viewer and to tell the whole story.

16 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

that was easily the best episode of the season. mike ehrmantraut is one of the great all time tv characters. jonathan banks has a fucking presence.

"You wanted me to talk.  I talked."

Thinking about it, I guess I've forgotten some stuff from BB, but I don't really understand why Jimmy is so freaked out at his Nebraskan Cinnabon hideout.  Dude is passing out from panic attacks he's so worried.  But he's kinda in the clear, ain't he?

Who knew he was Walt's lawyer and hip deep in the meth trade?  Walt?  Dead.  Jesse?  In the wind (though I suppose Jimmy doesn't know this).  Fring?  Dead.  Mike?  Dead.  All the Cartel guys?  Dead.

Only people I can think of are his fat secretary lady who don't take no shit, the second-story crew who he put Walt in touch with, Bill Burr, and Huell who, to this day, is still waiting in that apartment.  And the authorities aren't on to any of those people or have any reason to suspect they were involved with Walt's shenanigans. 

So maybe there's something to be revealed in BCS that will give him a reason for being so freaked out?  Possibly the Kim-Nebraska connection?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

"You wanted me to talk.  I talked."

Thinking about it, I guess I've forgotten some stuff from BB, but I don't really understand why Jimmy is so freaked out at his Nebraskan Cinnabon hideout.  Dude is passing out from panic attacks he's so worried.  But he's kinda in the clear, ain't he?

Who knew he was Walt's lawyer and hip deep in the meth trade?  Walt?  Dead.  Jesse?  In the wind (though I suppose Jimmy doesn't know this).  Fring?  Dead.  Mike?  Dead.  All the Cartel guys?  Dead.

Only people I can think of are his fat secretary lady who don't take no shit, the second-story crew who he put Walt in touch with, Bill Burr, and Huell who, to this day, is still waiting in that apartment.  And the authorities aren't on to any of those people or have any reason to suspect they were involved with Walt's shenanigans. 

But all of those people you mentioned (Walt, Jesse, Fring, Mike, etc.) did know that he was involved and it's not inconceivable that (in his mind) they told others who they interacted with who he was and so word could get back to the cartel or any other number of threats about who he was and how he was connected.

He can't know for sure that every single person in the world connected to Southwestern U.S. meth trade who knew him is either dead or gone. So he pretty much has to always look over his shoulder.

5 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

But all of those people you mentioned (Walt, Jesse, Fring, Mike, etc.) did know that he was involved and it's not inconceivable that (in his mind) they told others who they interacted with who he was and so word could get back to the cartel or any other number of threats about who he was and how he was connected.

He can't know for sure that every single person in the world connected to Southwestern U.S. meth trade who knew him is either dead or gone. So he pretty much has to always look over his shoulder.

I totally get looking over your shoulder, but from the few scenes we've gotten up in Nebraska, he's cracking the fuck up. 

Might be I'm just reading too much into it and it's just the show writer's way of showing that he's not happy, stressed, etc.

1 hour ago, SpiralOut said:

I totally get looking over your shoulder, but from the few scenes we've gotten up in Nebraska, he's cracking the fuck up. 

Might be I'm just reading too much into it and it's just the show writer's way of showing that he's not happy, stressed, etc.

Can you imagine living a life like that?  Constant looking over your shoulder would get to most anyone who isn't a sociopath or psychopath, which Jimmy clearly is not.

16 hours ago, RPM said:

You forgot about Skyler. She knew a lot about Saul and presumably turned State's witness to stay out of jail. 

I forgot about that bitch, too. So many good characters get killed and Skyler is still roaming around Albuquerque.