Better Call Saul- returns August 6th

Goo Punch

1 hour ago, KaiserSoze said:

I realize you presented it that way in your earlier post, but I don't believe it for a second... you were just covering your shallow ass in finding a way to state you liked it for once.

jlaw.gif

because i'm always so concerned about having an unpopular opinion, right? idiot.

Edited by Goo Punch

On 8/28/2018 at 5:14 PM, RPM said:

You forgot about Skyler. She knew a lot about Saul and presumably turned State's witness to stay out of jail. 

When did she meet Jimmy in his Saul persona?  Maybe when Walt was buying the car wash and Jimmy wanted him to take the laser tag place? 

Might be time for a BB rewatch.

1 minute ago, SpiralOut said:

When did she meet Jimmy in his Saul persona?  Maybe when Walt was buying the car wash and Jimmy wanted him to take the laser tag place? 

Yup. She was all about the money laundering and Saul was their lawyer.

Yeah same.

All that happened was Mike goes "i was wondering when you'd ask. you found out, so kill me." But then they don't and Mike says "I knew you wouldn't, you're posturing because you want me to do a job, so what's the job?" And then roll credits.

my dvr cut out the last 10-15 seconds of mikes and gus conversation, the last part I saw mike telling gus he was wondering how long it would take till he found out about nacho

5 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Yeah same.

All that happened was Mike goes "i was wondering when you'd ask. you found out, so kill me." But then they don't and Mike says "I knew you wouldn't, you're posturing because you want me to do a job, so what's the job?" And then roll credits.

Correct, he's says lets get on with it and stop fucking around basically. Mike is so great. 

i don't know much about the relationship between attorneys and judges, but it seemed a little excessive (and unrealistic) to me that this judge, who presumably had no previous issue with this particular lawyer, would make time during his lunch to call in and berate someone like that. (especially a woman, and wearing an arm sling).

i get that they're cutting to the chase, and setting up where the story is gonna go, but there are a bunch of reasons she could be in the courtroom, and she's not obligated to disclose any of them to this shitbag judge.

i don't know much about the relationship between attorneys and judges, but it seemed a little excessive (and unrealistic) to me that this judge, who presumably had no previous issue with this particular lawyer, would make time during his lunch to call in and berate someone like that. (especially a woman, and wearing an arm sling).
i get that they're cutting to the chase, and setting up where the story is gonna go, but there are a bunch of reasons she could be in the courtroom, and she's not obligated to disclose any of them to this shitbag judge.

I took from it that he was trying to steer her back on the right path. They knew each other and he was teaching her a lesson.

yes, i get the point of it.  it was not subtle.  i thought the way it was carried out was excessive and unrealistic, but hey, it's a tv show.

his attitude was basically like, "don't let me catch you hanging out in my courtroom again, missy" and i didn't think a judge would act like that in real life (or even give a shit).  so i said so.

also he thought she still worked for hhm, so they're obviously not super close.  if she did still work for hhm, i can see a number of reasons she could've been hanging out in there during a random weekday.

57 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It would seem we are maybe 2 years out from the point in Breaking Bad where Gale is set up with his underground lab. I would assume all of next season is full on Saul, or at least the majority of it. Still loving the show.

I believe this is correct because BCS started 6 years before BB and we're now on season 4. 

The backstory is moving faster than I had hoped. I'd love a few seasons of Saul Goodman doing his thing getting Nacho, Badger and associates out of jail before merging into BB. The intro flashback was enjoyable. Still wondering/hoping if there will be a Kim spinoff. That's fertile ground begging to be plowed.

11 hours ago, RPM said:

The backstory is moving faster than I had hoped. I'd love a few seasons of Saul Goodman doing his thing getting Nacho, Badger and associates out of jail before merging into BB. The intro flashback was enjoyable. Still wondering/hoping if there will be a Kim spinoff. That's fertile ground begging to be plowed.

I'm not sure how interesting watching Saul Goodman operate would be.  A few episodes, sure.

19 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

I wonder if we're going to get a big time jump next episode.  Jimmy specifically mentioned 9 months and the lab is going to take roughly the same to build.  Jimmy seems like he's just going to put his head down and keep to the grind for the remainder of his probation.  

I guess people think the construction will take years, not months.

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

I guess people think the construction will take years, not months.

The first guy told them 7 months. They thought he was full of shit and sent him packing (although that may have been because he spoke about a previous engagement and they didn't want a 'talker').

I don't recall the 2nd guy mentioning a timeline but it certainly didn't sound like a moderately quick one.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, KaiserSoze said:

The first guy told them 7 months. They thought he was full of shit and sent him packing (although that may have been because he spoke about a previous engagement and they didn't want a 'talker').

I don't recall the 2nd guy mentioning a timeline but it certainly didn't sound like a moderately quick one.

That's probably it, but last night I wondered if they sent him packing because he used a computer to record the details of what was needed, and Mike doesn't want any possible data trail to get out.  The look on Mike's face when he opened the laptop is what did it for me.

i thought the first (french) engineer was obviously full of it on top of not being thorough.  gus fring thrives on detail.  the french guy took two laser measurements, pronounced it a done deal with an overly optimistic time frame, and didn't use enough discretion in his conversation regarding prior clients.

7 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

That's probably it, but last night I wondered if they sent him packing because he used a computer to record the details of what was needed, and Mike doesn't want any possible data trail to get out.  The look on Mike's face when he opened the laptop is what did it for me.

That’s how I read the scene too.  Mike also gave the “Mike look” at the German’s notebook.  

Last night was a Top 5 episode for me.  Any guesses on the what’s happening with Howard?

14 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

That’s how I read the scene too.  Mike also gave the “Mike look” at the German’s notebook.  

Last night was a Top 5 episode for me.  Any guesses on the what’s happening with Howard?

He feels partially responsible for Chuck’s death. Also the firm has taken a big hit in reputation since Chuck got exposed. 

Howard’s father and chuck were the mechanism of HHM.  They attracted new business, through reputation.  They intimated other firms and they got results.  Howard is a  BizDev Douche rolling around town with his visor and sticks in the boot of his jaguar trying to preserve the firm’s prestige in a very difficult wake.  Jimmy will use that to his advantage one more time before totally turning Saul.  

36 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Everything about the French guy was the antithesis of what Gus and Mike want.  He looked around for 5 seconds and said, “Sure, no problem.  Piece of cake.”  He talked about other jobs (and the example he used was some halfass tunnel across the border, at that; they want a pristine underground laboratory).   He gave unrealistic timelines and didn’t even ask about any of the myriad of things he would need to know to evaluate the job.

The German guy was precise, thorough, direct and cautious, just like Gus and Mike. They want the job done right, not fast and cheap.

^^^^ this is correct.

On 9/4/2018 at 12:14 AM, RPM said:

Flash forward.

I expect the final episode will be entirely set in the present(Jimmy's present). Maybe even somehow with Kim. I expect her stroy to kind of veer away from the show by the end of this season or early next, which is what send him on his final delve into the Saul personality.

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Everything about the French guy was the antithesis of what Gus and Mike want.  He looked around for 5 seconds and said, “Sure, no problem.  Piece of cake.”  He talked about other jobs (and the example he used was some halfass tunnel across the border, at that; they want a pristine underground laboratory).   He gave unrealistic timelines and didn’t even ask about any of the myriad of things he would need to know to evaluate the job.

The German guy was precise, thorough, direct and cautious, just like Gus and Mike. They want the job done right, not fast and cheap.

Well...that and the French are assholes.

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Completely agree. 

11 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

I thought they sent the guy packing because of the combination of all the things mentioned.  He was too "slick" and arrogant ("I can do it in 7 months!"); and mentioning details of a previous job was certainly the dealbreaker.

Gus wants careful, methodical and understated people working for him... not braggy/flashy, flamboyant talkers.

EDIT - Longhornmatt actually provided a much better reply than I did.  Spot on.

Edited by oSuJeff97

Last nights episode was probably my favorite of the series so far.  it had the most overlap, and run into BB.  Amazing how much that episode moved things along yet had very limited exposure on the Gus side of the equation.  The engineering/lab feasibility scenes were fantastic.  JImmy is almost there to Saul.  I was hoping that at the end of this episode we'd get a 9 months of saul in the cell phone store montage, and next episode he'd be back in the law game full speed to Saul.

I kept thinking he was going to sell Jessie or Wendy a phone at the dog stand. 

He's bored.  Even if he gets another gig besides the cell phone store.  The only people he's going to meet are the kind that would hire Saul Goodman, not James McGill, Esq.  

Kim's last two forays into the court house were to help the under-represented in criminal defense.  She finds a quiet dignity in it and kind of enjoys throwing her intellectual muscle around.  JImmy will see that and justify his newfound New Mexico networking with her as, "Hey, I'm just like you...trying to help the little guy getting pushed around by a broken system."  At first it works for them both as Jimmy ramps up a client base to envy (as poster above points out).  But by the time the probation is up, he's too deep into it already and Kim notes he has lost sight or what they were both in criminal defense for in the first place.  It's worth noting---Kim's not going back to the courtroom for family law, or litigation (though that would make Mesa Verde nervous), or even elder care law where her work with Jimmy & HHM would carry much weight.  Nope, she chooses Criminal Defense---particularly for those who cannot afford decent counsel (and she's under no pro bono requirement as a solo practice).  Can't be a coincidence she's drawn to what Saul eventually glamorizes.