Better Call Saul- returns August 6th

Goo Punch

On 9/12/2018 at 6:43 PM, RPM said:

I've noticed a lot of questionable stuff (language/nudity) is shown on original airings, but is blurred/deleted from reruns. I'm sure there's a reason behind it.

A lot of times, those reruns are airing earlier in the day, and that's a different audience than the post-9pm Eastern audience.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

The Feds. He's guilty of money laundering, tax evasion, conspiracy and a lot more. I'm sure the Cartel and the prison gang would like to chat with him, too.

i asked a similar question earlier, and i can say with 99% certainty - the way he's scared, it's not the feds.  maybe the other stuff, but i agree it doesn't make a ton of sense given the circumstances (everybody dead).  if prison was his fear, he'd be in venezuela or some such.  he thinks he's gonna get whacked.

For the Germans digging the underground lab, why wouldn't you expect to be murdered at the end of the job?  Obviously you know that there are nefarious reasons behind your job.  You're being promised most likely a large amount of money at the end (potentially being paid in installments while you're there.)   The workers don't know where they are but there isn't much reason for Gus to leave them alive other than they have to hope that Gus will honor their agreement.

They just have to trust Mike and Gus not to kill them after the 12 months (or whatever.)

the whole process reminded me of that shitty ben affleck movie, "paycheck."  cool premise, awful execution.  

for those unfamiliar, he's an engineer doing top secret shit, so he works a certain amount of time, and then, using some new tech, they go in and erase that portion of his memory, so he basically wakes up however many months or years later not knowing anything he just did.  seems like that would work well in this situation.

On 9/15/2018 at 1:17 AM, henrygandorf said:

i asked a similar question earlier, and i can say with 99% certainty - the way he's scared, it's not the feds.  maybe the other stuff, but i agree it doesn't make a ton of sense given the circumstances (everybody dead).  if prison was his fear, he'd be in venezuela or some such.  he thinks he's gonna get whacked.

The Nazi guys were killed a year after he went on the lam. He probably has no idea they're dead. Or Walt for that matter.

28 minutes ago, Nole-4-Life said:

The Nazi guys were killed a year after he went on the lam. He probably has no idea they're dead. Or Walt for that matter.

That's a good point. Also do we know how far into the future the Gene timeline is? Have they dropped any date hints on us that I forgot about? 

halfway through the episode right now and it is pretty goddamn boring. "derka, they're moving the story along, and establishing the fallout between kim and jimmy, blah blah blah"; yeah whatever, it's still boring. and the amount of tension in the air over this Aspen conversation? everyone gathering around like it was some big spectacle? just forced, and strange. the "slow burn" isn't doing it for me. slow and satisfying is fine; this is just forced and drawn out. 

Edited by Goo Punch

I thought it was an excellent episode. We have a definitive timestamp now and Saul is born. We are 4 years away from Walter and Jesse meeting Saul. 

The first half was very cinematic. Sorry if it's not as riveting as Kim going full Wexler on an opponent, but it has it's place and is done very well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RPM said:

I thought it was an excellent episode. We have a definitive timestamp now and Saul is born. We are 4 years away from Walter and Jesse meeting Saul. 

The first half was very cinematic. Sorry if it's not as riveting as Kim going full Wexler on an opponent, but it has it's place and is done very well.

Agree...one of the best episodes so far.  Big turning point episode on several fronts.  Plus a couple of lol moments.  The closer we get to Saul and the further we get from Jimmy, the better they are.

I love the show, but the building of the underground lab storyline is just boring to me.  Mike being a part of Gus's operation, sure good stuff.  But I just don't find interest in project delays and construction discussion.  The Jimmy/Kim storyline, great.  The slow distancing of their relationship seems both realistic and painful.   The Gus/Hector storyline, fantastic.  When Gus dismissed the doctor because he really didn't want Hector to get *that* much better was a great scene. 

And Seppinwall's recap reminded me of this, but where's Nacho?  What's he up to?  Also, in the timeline of things, doesn't Tuco take over at some point for Hector?  I'm all for more Tuco. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lurch said:

Good review, but he missed that Jimmy has used "Saul Goodman" twice already in the series.  It was a stupid phrase Jimmy developed in Cicero ('s all good, man) and also as his alias when he was directing TV commercials right after being suspended.  It's probably something he always had around when he was "Slippin' Jimmy".  I'm curious to see how/why he changes his name legally from Jimmy to Saul.

The opening montage was brilliant, but the 2nd one featuring the German construction workers just bored me.  I had the thought at that point, "I'm tired of montages...just have some damn dialog for a change".

Just now, MC Fresh Breath said:

I love the show, but the building of the underground lab storyline is just boring to me.  Mike being a part of Gus's operation, sure good stuff.  But I just don't find interest in project delays and construction discussion.  The Jimmy/Kim storyline, great.  The slow distancing of their relationship seems both realistic and painful.   The Gus/Hector storyline, fantastic.  When Gus dismissed the doctor because he really didn't want Hector to get *that* much better was a great scene. 

And Seppinwall's recap reminded me of this, but where's Nacho?  What's he up to?  Also, in the timeline of things, doesn't Tuco take over at some point for Hector?  I'm all for more Tuco. 

all of this.  especially nacho.

it was a fine episode.  the big issue is that all of the storylines are either stuff we already know, or already think and therefore, saw coming.

-kim and jimmy and the distance between them (been happening all season)

-kai, the trouble-making german

-jimmy running his mouth

-gus hates hector

-jimmy morphing into saul

the stuff with the cop, huell, and kim fighting with the prosecutor is good stuff, and more like previous enjoyable episodes of this show.

1 hour ago, RTF Horn said:

The opening montage was brilliant, but the 2nd one featuring the German construction workers just bored me.  I had the thought at that point, "I'm tired of montages...just have some damn dialog for a change".

I was about to mute my TV just so I wouldn't have to listen to that fucking awful song anymore.  And just save it, Burl Ives fans.  I don't need to hear how great that song was.  It felt like it was 25 minutes long.  Every time he started back over with the bees buzzing, I wanted to puncture my ear drums just to make it stop.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Go Pokes said:

I was about to mute my TV just so I wouldn't have to listen to that fucking awful song anymore.  And just save it, Burl Ives fans.  I don't need to hear how great that song was.  It felt like it was 25 minutes long.  Every time he started back over with the bees buzzing, I wanted to puncture my ear drums just to make it stop.  

Yeah, it felt like it went on for 10 minutes.

4 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

He's in prison for 3 to 5  or whatever it was.  Convenient on the timeline depending on when you want go reintroduce him. 

that review of the show that was linked here was so over-the-top fan boyish that it can't be taken seriously. interesting how, at least based on what's been posted here, about 80% of us thought the episode was somewhere between meh-fine, while the other 20% think it was just absolutely amazing tv. i don't see how you can compare it to the best of this series (or what's more the best of BB) and come away thinking anything about it was that great. more nacho, more mike disarming cocky guns for hire, more nerd drug dealers with baseball card collections, more huell, and saul, and francesca, and punk kids getting street justice, please and thank you. and fewer montages for the sake of montages, and less of the "slow burn" from here on out, please and thank you as well, especially if jimmy and kim are just going to slowly drift apart. i really could have done with about 80% of the last two seasons. 

Edited by Goo Punch

I thought the episode sans construction was amazing. Love the growing apart montage. It's brilliant tv. And it culminated in jimmy going full DB and embarrassing Kim (I think on purpose) bc he's still bitter that she doesn't want to office with him anymore.

Also Gus' mussel sauce looked amazing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

Fucking Derka’d thread.

God dammit.

derka'd used to mean four hypomanic paragraphs full of insane personal insults with at least three "water head retard" references; now every time i don't like a tv show episode or don't slurp a recruit it's "derka'd"; never mind that the majority of people responding in here are also nonplussed by the show. stop being so dramatic.