Downtown Projects

Longhorn Al

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to put this but the University Towers private dorms in west campus are going to be imploded on Sunday morning.

Towers is being replaced by 2 complexes : a 15-story building with 281 apartment units and 975 beds, and a 17-story building with 287 apartment units and 974 beds. The complexes will include space for 2,000 residents and 8,000 square feet of retail space.

aus_801w24thSt_austin.jpg\

16614-VIEW2-S-Copy1-1024x868.jpg

Edited by Pasken

I wasn't sure where to put this but the University Towers private dorms in west campus are going to be imploded on Sunday morning.

Towers is being replaced by 2 complexes : a 15-story building with 281 apartment units and 975 beds, and a 17-story building with 287 apartment units and 974 beds. The complexes will include space for 2,000 residents and 8,000 square feet of retail space.

What time they dropping that piece of shit? Will have to be present for that.

4 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Hobby building can’t be sold until after the next state legislation session. But the state agencies in Hobby are already making plans to move with expected approval. Many are moving to the new Capital Complex north of the capital.

Are they taking the rats with them?

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Jesus Christ--and now there are two lanes closed on Lavaca between 5th and 7th to deal with the construction on the Hanover Republic.  That's going to make my commute even more fun.

You'd be shocked at how blatantly the City Council approves street closures purposely within the 3-month windows of construction lane closure.  There's a half dozen glaring examples of it going on right now.  It's not an accident.  But it's an accident waiting to happen. 

Also, crown light show on top of Independent/Jenga tower is due to start later this month. the initial test videos look pretty awesome actually, considering it started out as a chain link fence solution to a 100 million dollar problem.

You'd be shocked at how blatantly the City Council approves street closures purposely within the 3-month windows of construction lane closure.  There's a half dozen glaring examples of it going on right now.  It's not an accident.  But it's an accident waiting to happen. 

Also, crown light show on top of Independent/Jenga tower is due to start later this month. the initial test videos look pretty awesome actually, considering it started out as a chain link fence solution to a 100 million dollar problem.
What is this light show? Are they improving the top?

I guess "light show" was a strong term.  I was on a lot of acid at the time.  Yes, it's an improvement.  I was up there for a test run and it was cool, but I'm not sure it's gonna take the stink off after it runs in a loop for 30 years

Somewhere up there, the original architect that proposed a more aesthetically pleasing topper to the Independent is rattling the chain link and shouting “Avenge Me!!!” to a city that won’t listen.  

we are honestly watching the middle part of “the fountainhead” play out in our city where developers and regulators and critics wake up every morning just ready to suck.  Look at the facade of 5th & West when you drive in to downtown.   didn’t know a completed building could have an abortion after it’d been built 

on a more alcohol and sushi related topic—-ten ten is finally opening today after almost 2 years of delays.   It’ll be right there on West six street on the southbound side across from the old post office.   The finish out looks really good actually even though the outside façade asks the question that nobody needs the answer to—-How much fake tin and copper can you line the outside of a building with in Texas before it burst into flames from all the absorbed sunlight?  I think somebody is still trying to put in a discotheque or bowling alley above it but that project seems doomed for development failure or financing challenges as well.

not quite downtown but further up on MLK by UT.  The AC hotel in Otis Hotel by Marriott are opening up in a few weeks.  For those of us to work on campus it will be a very welcomed retreat right nearby in terms of their lounges and workspace.  Plus how often do you get to get drunk at college and look up at the marquee and say Otis, My Man!   

Edited by Lobo

No you’re talking about the one right behind Whole Foods which I actually kind of like.  Fifth and West is both the name and the address of the condo tower across the street from Irene’s and the Austin Lofts.  
it’s for sod on the opposite side facing the capital and CBD is somewhat attractive.   Nobody can really see it from the south unless your way a pie in one of the Lakeside condo towers.  But all of us can see it on the drive-in on W. 5th St. into downtown.   And holy shit is that Out of central casting in every dystopian movie. 

I’m hoping they commission the most bad ass Mural project in north American history.  
but I think it’s just sitting there waiting to start collecting mold in a few years

Edited by Lobo

On 1/3/2020 at 12:43 PM, Pasken said:

replacing one eyesore with another?

not impressed

21 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

That looks small.  My memory is that it's going to be around 150 feet taller than the Jenga Building.

Yeah, around 850' vs around 700' for Jenga.

It's 3 blocks further north so that may have something to do with it not looking 150' taller, or the rendering is just not accurate.

On 1/14/2020 at 11:30 AM, Somnio said:

Yeah, around 850' vs around 700' for Jenga.

It's 3 blocks further north so that may have something to do with it not looking 150' taller, or the rendering is just not accurate.

Yeah, but if it's three blocks further north, then it's at least 15 feet uphill, which should offset any difference in perspective.

Fucking math nerds.  

but yeah for such a great building; that rendering is underwhelming.  

On a humorous note, a group I work with already fucked up booking an event at the new downtown Marriott.  They were supposed to be one of the first events there but instead booked the event at the J.W. Marriott just 1.5 blocks away.  We are currently working on a refund of the difference but may not be that easy.  

finally, bar at Austin proper hotel has an incredibly goofy layout but hot staff 

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I remember when Frost Bank seemed really tall. Give it a few more years and it's going to be lost in the shuffle.

Y'all think Austin will ever get a thousand-footer?

I think so.  My bet on the location is the old post office site just south of 6x and directly north of Republic Square.

It's a prime location with frontage on 5th, 6th, and Guadalupe.  It's also unencumbered by any Capital View Corridors.

Does anyone have any insider info about what's going on with this property?  It's been so quiet regarding any news or proposals.

• Like 2

I think so.  My bet on the location is the old post office site just south of 6x and directly north of Republic Square.
It's a prime location with frontage on 5th, 6th, and Guadalupe.  It's also unencumbered by any Capital View Corridors.
Does anyone have any insider info about what's going on with this property?  It's been so quiet regarding any news or proposals.

Endeavor owns it. They more than likely won’t do anything with it this cycle.
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 8:56 AM, tokamak said:

I remember when Frost Bank seemed really tall. Give it a few more years and it's going to be lost in the shuffle.

Y'all think Austin will ever get a thousand-footer?

I think there is an issue with a potential 1000’ building downtown and the FAA. It blocks something for planes on approach to AUS from the northwest. 

20 hours ago, Pasken said:

I think there is an issue with a potential 1000’ building downtown and the FAA. It blocks something for planes on approach to AUS from the northwest. 

I've been really unclear on what the story is with that.  Downtown Dallas has a building that is 900' and that is (1) directly in the approach pattern for DAL and (2) closer to DAL than downtown Austin is to AUS.  I don't know if the FAA revised its requirements recently or what.

9 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I've been really unclear on what the story is with that.  Downtown Dallas has a building that is 900' and that is (1) directly in the approach pattern for DAL and (2) closer to DAL than downtown Austin is to AUS.  I don't know if the FAA revised its requirements recently or what.

I don’t have the flight paths in front of me but looking at the directions of the DAL runways and downtown Dallas, I don’t think it’s similar enough to compare to austin. 

Are you sure it blocks the approach? I guess it’s wb traffic going to 31R?

Edited by Pasken