Downtown Projects

Longhorn Al

I wouldn't count on it.  Their leverage profile looks okay (not good, but not awful), and they're conveniently getting into the wind business on top of their mineral packages.  

Yeah, the developers I checked in with this week are all full-steam ahead on a handful of projects in Central Austin.  Don't know how long that will last, but.  

Said there were a few crews that were a few guys short, but nothing beyond some nominal delays. One guy brought up a good point, he is the head of one of the larger construction companies in Texas.  Everyone would know his company name.  Said a lot of these guys are gonna work until it becomes 100% illegal to be seen at a job site.  Come hell or high water, they're gonna keep getting a check and doing a good job.  But they all worry that (no/CR, but fuck off if you don't see the logic here) Trump is gonna start vilifying construction sites for spreading the virus because (dog whistle alert), it's one of the last en masse gatherings of manual labor allowed.  Meanwhile manufacturing plants are allowed to keep up and running despite them being in even closer quarters than open air construction sites.  But the people that make buildings are Hispanic.  And people that ship bottled water aren't.  NoCR, and fuck off if you don't see his point.  

On 3/20/2020 at 10:33 AM, Lobo said:

Yeah, the developers I checked in with this week are all full-steam ahead on a handful of projects in Central Austin.  Don't know how long that will last, but.  

Said there were a few crews that were a few guys short, but nothing beyond some nominal delays. One guy brought up a good point, he is the head of one of the larger construction companies in Texas.  Everyone would know his company name.  Said a lot of these guys are gonna work until it becomes 100% illegal to be seen at a job site.  Come hell or high water, they're gonna keep getting a check and doing a good job.  But they all worry that (no/CR, but fuck off if you don't see the logic here) Trump is gonna start vilifying construction sites for spreading the virus because (dog whistle alert), it's one of the last en masse gatherings of manual labor allowed.  Meanwhile manufacturing plants are allowed to keep up and running despite them being in even closer quarters than open air construction sites.  But the people that make buildings are Hispanic.  And people that ship bottled water aren't.  NoCR, and fuck off if you don't see his point.  

nm

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Dammit, I fell for it. Sorry.

Okay, I need to amend my statement regarding construction stopping.

I'm not sure what's going on now.  It looks like some projects haven't stopped working, but  appear to not have as many workers on site.

Are they just limiting the number of workers per jobsite?  I don't know.

15 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Okay, I need to amend my statement regarding construction stopping.

I'm not sure what's going on now.  It looks like some projects haven't stopped working, but  appear to not have as many workers on site.

Are they just limiting the number of workers per jobsite?  I don't know.

Yesterday the City of Austin issued an advisory clarifying its SIP order and stating that commercial and residential projects are generally subject to the order, and only enumerated exceptions are permitted.  The language of the SIP order allowing construction reads as follows:

“Construction, including public works construction, and construction of affordable housing or housing for individuals experiencing homelessness, social services construction, and other construction that supports essential uses, including essential businesses, government functions, or critical infrastructure, or otherwise as required in response to this public health emergency.”

Many lawyers and construction trade groups read that language broadly, as on its face it permits construction in general, followed by an arguably nonexhaustive list of construction projects.  In response, the City has said in effect, "No really, we mean only those projects enumerated in the order can proceed."  As a result, many commercial and residential construction projects are halted under the SIP order, although the City is giving contractors and project owners a few days grace to wrap up their work.

But questions still remain.  Can construction of residential subdivisions proceed at least in part if that construction involves installation of roads and utilities that could be "critical infrastructure"?  The City's advisory raises many other questions and shows just what a mess we're dealing with.  And the impacts are huge.  In addition to halting so many construction projects across the City, whenever the SIP order is lifted can you imaging the burdens contractors and project owners will face in having to re-mobilize subcontractors and trades who have scattered?  That will take on several more weeks of indefinite delays in resuming work. 

I expect growing pressure from the construction industry explaining just how devastating it would be to shut down most commercial and residential projects will cause the City to further amend or clarify the SIP order. 

Sorry I can't find the advisory online.  A law partner forwarded a pdf copy of it to me late yesterday, and this Luddite can't figure out how to paste an image of it.

22 hours ago, South Austin said:

Yesterday the City of Austin issued an advisory clarifying its SIP order and stating that commercial and residential projects are generally subject to the order, and only enumerated exceptions are permitted.  The language of the SIP order allowing construction reads as follows:

“Construction, including public works construction, and construction of affordable housing or housing for individuals experiencing homelessness, social services construction, and other construction that supports essential uses, including essential businesses, government functions, or critical infrastructure, or otherwise as required in response to this public health emergency.”

Many lawyers and construction trade groups read that language broadly, as on its face it permits construction in general, followed by an arguably nonexhaustive list of construction projects.  In response, the City has said in effect, "No really, we mean only those projects enumerated in the order can proceed."  As a result, many commercial and residential construction projects are halted under the SIP order, although the City is giving contractors and project owners a few days grace to wrap up their work.

But questions still remain.  Can construction of residential subdivisions proceed at least in part if that construction involves installation of roads and utilities that could be "critical infrastructure"?  The City's advisory raises many other questions and shows just what a mess we're dealing with.  And the impacts are huge.  In addition to halting so many construction projects across the City, whenever the SIP order is lifted can you imaging the burdens contractors and project owners will face in having to re-mobilize subcontractors and trades who have scattered?  That will take on several more weeks of indefinite delays in resuming work. 

I expect growing pressure from the construction industry explaining just how devastating it would be to shut down most commercial and residential projects will cause the City to further amend or clarify the SIP order. 

Sorry I can't find the advisory online.  A law partner forwarded a pdf copy of it to me late yesterday, and this Luddite can't figure out how to paste an image of it.

Yeah.  This was pretty much my read on the initial advisory.

I think there need to be a longer grace period or some case by case allowances.

For example, my concrete construction firm is working on a small condo project in east Austin with 17 foundations.  We are scheduled to pour 6 foundations on Monday, but that may get moved to Wednesday due to other trades need to to come in and do final work and be inspected before we pour.  We also have beams opened up on all the other foundations and those need to get poured as well.  The site is about an acre and we have about 8 people on site and they generally work more than 6' apart.

This is especially bothersome because Hays and Williamson Cos have no such restrictions.

On 3/25/2020 at 7:46 AM, Armybrat said:

Stupid, just like the closed golf courses. 
if people are still “allowed” to walk outside in parks, trails & around their neighborhoods as long as they SD, what’s the difference with being outside on a course or a construction site?

Probably that golf is nominally social (groups of 2-4, riding around in carts, etc.) and, more likely, they don't want to staff the courses.

7 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Yeah.  This was pretty much my read on the initial advisory.

I think there need to be a longer grace period or some case by case allowances.

For example, my concrete construction firm is working on a small condo project in east Austin with 17 foundations.  We are scheduled to pour 6 foundations on Monday, but that may get moved to Wednesday due to other trades need to to come in and do final work and be inspected before we pour.  We also have beams opened up on all the other foundations and those need to get poured as well.  The site is about an acre and we have about 8 people on site and they generally work more than 6' apart.

This is especially bothersome because Hays and Williamson Cos have no such restrictions.

Williamson does, because a big chunk of the southern part of the county is in Austin’s City limits.

This has to affect the 122 acre Apple campus on north Parmer and some huge apartment complexes in the Lakeline area for example.

Yep, I believe all the Austin muni courses are open for walking golf. No amenities, no flagsticks. And totally free.

2 hours ago, Updawg said:

How crowded was the course?

When I went to Lions around noon or so yesterday, there were people around the course but mostly twos and singles.  When I got there a twosome was teeing off and I started just after them so didn't really have to wait, other than them playing slow. I only the played the front 9, but when I got done 1:30ish it seemed a bit busier, some groups were lined up at #1 and saw another group start at #10 to avoid waiting.

Lions was well maintained too and there were people tending the course.  I went to Mo Willie on Monday or Tuesday and the course was in rough shape, greens were brutal with weeds and stuff.  Was pretty wet from rain though too.

• Like 1

I received this from the Texas Construction Association yesterday:

https://t.congressweb.com/w/?PKKQAISMPN

Question.   I looked at the cam shot of DKR and it appears there are workers continuing on the south end zone site.   I wonder why the downtown constructions projects have halted, but this project is able to continue?   I mean, I want the stadium finished asap, but how about the safety of those workers?     Odd.

demolition underway for the Hyatt Centric at 8th & congress.  Though there are serious concerns about the new group's financial solvency to carry it to completion.  

8 hours ago, orangeut said:

Question.   I looked at the cam shot of DKR and it appears there are workers continuing on the south end zone site.   I wonder why the downtown constructions projects have halted, but this project is able to continue?   I mean, I want the stadium finished asap, but how about the safety of those workers?     Odd.

8 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Construction is considered essential throughout the state. Job sites are open, most never fully shut down.

Abbott took care of that on Tuesday

3 hours ago, orangeut said:

I guess I missed that,  thanks

A few points from my understanding:

A) Yes, Austin/Travis Co. issued an order that new commercial/residential construction was not considered essential after a couple of days of confusion and shut it down.

B) UT, as a State entity, doesn't have to comply by local city/county directives anyway as it operates as a separate jurisdiction.

C) The State stepped in and told the city/county to go fuck themselves, so new commercial/residential construction has started back up.

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

I liked your c) better.

I'm cool with it so long as they make sure construction workers who need the work/pay function safely and don't spread shit, which is obviously easier than worker bees in an in-door cube farm than outdoors.

It's only the porta-potties that give me any pause.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Well, they can just shit and piss on the sidewalk in front of the W.

No worries.

Don't forget the 2 self-cleaning toilet-o-matics that were installed downtown. I posted a story about them a few months ago but haven't heard any follow-up on if they work.

That said, 30 years ago, there were some in Paris when I was a late teen and it blew my small town, West Texas mind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Do they lose naming rights after conceding back that much square footage?  

Parsley has not given back any space in the new tower yet. They terminated part of their lease hold until he current building, Colorado Tower. That space was then back filled by DLA Piper. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just heard an interesting tidbit related to an HEB grocery store opening downtown.

I don't have a timeline, but I can tell you it will be in an existing property very near the center of downtown.  The property takes up half a block, has frontage on three major downtown streets, and has lots of parking.

It's a killer location for an HEB, but I always assumed they'd move into a new project if they opened a downtown store.

But I was told the entire building would be undergoing an extensive makeover, so it will probably be as good as new when they are finished.

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

How about you tell us which location exactly.  And I'll make sure you get well meantime...

Sorry, I'd feel weird releasing the address since there hasn't been any public announcement.  And while my source is trusted, I do not know for sure if it is 100% a done deal.  

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

No worries, I get it.  My usual MO on collecting market intel is compromised right now as it is frowned upon to meet for whiskey and lies in debaucherous locations.