Downtown Projects

Longhorn Al

On 1/27/2021 at 5:55 PM, Lobo said:

If y'all could make one suggestion to the CTRMA board about transit in the area....what would it be?  

Make the toll road on 183 North a managed toll road.  That road doesn’t need two permanent roads going North and South 247/365.  The traffic on the road is very one sided based on the time of day.  Also if we’re ripping up the road, why not figure out how to squeeze a rail line in there too WHILE CONSTRUCTION IS ALREADY HAPPENING.  This would have been smart to do on 183 South and Mopac too but those ships have sailed.  Maybe add a rail line to I35 while that project is going on too.  Seems like it would be far cheaper to just do them while the road is expanding, versus trying to squeeze it next to an already finished road.

• Like 1

scholars maintain the tower was erected to help fireman train to remove homeless people from burning tents erroneously placed in front of fire hydrants despite obvious fucking signage!  

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 7:36 PM, Lobo said:

scholars maintain the tower was erected to help fireman train to remove homeless people from burning tents erroneously placed in front of fire hydrants despite obvious fucking signage!  

Oh shit, I didn't realize I posted that like 10 days before the homeless actually set fire to it.  Great, now all my credibility on solving homelessness is lost with Mayor Adler.  Dammit.

I have to say, our skyline has been developing nicely.  Nothing gorgeous, but nice enough for a city our size.  And I don't want to pin my hopes on that Google sail building, but that is gonna be fucking beautiful.  I haven't drive into downtown from IH-35 in years, but from MoPac and Lamar and South 1st...it's just glorious.  Really happy somebody did something different in that SW cluster.  

I really like Indeed Tower as well. The crown lighting looks great.

6xGuadalupe is about to start making an impact on the skyline.  The glass installation has begun, and it's unlike anything else that's gone up in Austin.  And of course being 848' tall, it will have quite the presence on the skyline.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Don't get Lobo started.

This is why we can't have nice things!!!

I kid. I used to use the term on a weekly basis it seems and now I can't remember it and I can't google search for it correctly.  It's the finish-out term by which they can easily convert the majority of the square footage of some of those levels of parking into level office space for future use one day after the parking is no longer relevant.  It's a term of art that architects and engineers use and I cannot fucking remember it because I'm old and insane.  Not 'functional obsolescence', this is a term that refers to the actual design style.  Anyway, it's what a large portion of that garage was built with.  They keep the structural integrity and the ramps on the edges, but most of the spaces are built level and HVAC and exterior walls 'n shit can be sustained by the current skeleton of the building.  The ramps are then removed and they do something else, I can't remember.  Anyway, it's happening all over Europe already and some East Coast cities.  It's gonna happen more and more with new builds in Austin.  They were about to it with the Avenue project before scrapping the idea for just no parking altogether.  Anyway, we have 6000 lawyers on here and 2 architects, maybe we'll get lucky and one 'em will venture over to this thread. 

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I kid. I used to use the term on a weekly basis it seems and now I can't remember it and I can't google search for it correctly.  It's the finish-out term by which they can easily convert the majority of the square footage of some of those levels of parking into level office space for future use one day after the parking is no longer relevant.  It's a term of art that architects and engineers use and I cannot fucking remember it because I'm old and insane.  Not 'functional obsolescence', this is a term that refers to the actual design style.  Anyway, it's what a large portion of that garage was built with.  They keep the structural integrity and the ramps on the edges, but most of the spaces are built level and HVAC and exterior walls 'n shit can be sustained by the current skeleton of the building.  The ramps are then removed and they do something else, I can't remember.  Anyway, it's happening all over Europe already and some East Coast cities.  It's gonna happen more and more with new builds in Austin.  They were about to it with the Avenue project before scrapping the idea for just no parking altogether.  Anyway, we have 6000 lawyers on here and 2 architects, maybe we'll get lucky and one 'em will venture over to this thread. 

Hope you know I was just giving you a hard time because you've got up on that soapbox so many times -- I actually agree with you.

I'm not sure what the term you're referring to though but could imagine something along the lines of adaptive parking structure or repurposed parking. Those sound like the combination of words that would be used by architects/designers/planners.

Edit: And, of course, we're seeing the same trend with surface and street parking all over the country with the installation of parklets up and down Congress Avenue, along with lots of temporary uses like food trucks etc. in vacant parking lots.

Edited by bolverk

Yeah, I know...I've had to develop a thick skin over parking garage smack talk the last few years after having to pick up a bawling stassneyhorn at a number of them after he was turning tricks in the staircases.  

Anyway, it's a portmanteau that also somehow involves the engineering description of how they can change the interior walls while remaining structurally sound.  /csb

In other news, look for another hotel project (Denver developer) to get announced soon in anticipation of the corrupt, green light being given to the Convention Center expansion.  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

I've heard it called "future-proofing" by Genlser (designing a garage with flat floorplates and slightly taller floor-to-floor heights so it can become the framework of future occupiable space). 

On 4/23/2021 at 5:15 PM, ftf82 said:

I've heard it called "future-proofing" by Genlser (designing a garage with flat floorplates and slightly taller floor-to-floor heights so it can become the framework of future occupiable space). 

FWIW - the parking garage next to Jester & the Blanton museum is built with flat floorplates.

On 4/23/2021 at 2:39 PM, Lobo said:

I kid. I used to use the term on a weekly basis it seems and now I can't remember it and I can't google search for it correctly.  It's the finish-out term by which they can easily convert the majority of the square footage of some of those levels of parking into level office space for future use one day after the parking is no longer relevant.  

Deparkingism.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, bolverk said:

Why is the red arrow pointing to the intersection of I-35 at 35th? Is something being planned for there?

The photo is from a real estate website mentioning redevelopment opportunity, so I think you're probably correct. Seth Meyers Yes GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Guest Lobo

Somebody's gonna do a major redevelopment of that Shell gas station site? Smushed between the residential neighborhood, the IH-35 ROW and 39th street?  What a fascinating tract of extremely limited possibilities. I don't get the arrow thing.  What am I missing?  Oh wait, a homeless hotel? 

• 3 weeks later...

Thought about starting a new thread but figured my audience was probably already here.

Have been wanting to learn more about Austin history, specifically through a real estate and urban development lens.  Been thinking about who (individuals or organizations) have been the most impactful in driving change and who has rode the wave of that change most skillfully.  I'm especially interested in recent history (last ~30 years) but recognize that history shapes the present and a real analysis would stretch way beyond that.

Any good books / articles / opinions you can offer?

You young guys --yeesh.  Roy Butler, dammit!

Just from Wikipedia:

Former Austin Mayor Bruce Todd credited Butler as one of the real estate developers most responsible for transforming Downtown Austin.[2] Butler established some of the first, and most important commercial developments in the neighborhood, which eventually attracted new residents and businesses to the area.[2] Butler was responsible for leasing a building he owned at the corner of Sixth and Lamar to both Whole Foods Markets and the GSD&M Idea City ad agency, both of which are headquartered in Austin.[2] With the addition of another tenant, Book People, Butler's property became an important site which attracted people to downtown Austin

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DalTxHornFan said:

You young guys --yeesh.  Roy Butler, dammit!

Just from Wikipedia:

Former Austin Mayor Bruce Todd credited Butler as one of the real estate developers most responsible for transforming Downtown Austin.[2] Butler established some of the first, and most important commercial developments in the neighborhood, which eventually attracted new residents and businesses to the area.[2] Butler was responsible for leasing a building he owned at the corner of Sixth and Lamar to both Whole Foods Markets and the GSD&M Idea City ad agency, both of which are headquartered in Austin.[2] With the addition of another tenant, Book People, Butler's property became an important site which attracted people to downtown Austin

One of my friends did some consulting work for Mr. Butler.  Mr. Butler reportedly pulled out a savings account passbook (google it, youngsters) that showed a $20 million plus balance on deposit.  He was wondering if there might be a better use for his money.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:29 PM, Armybrat said:

And the renderings are pretty cool

1250A8F7-459C-4B1C-AA62-9FBA10927A40.png

i assume that prominent angle above the podium is due to the capitol view corridor from the Pfluger Bridge/ Lamar Bridge.

i am a bit frustrated that so many of these new buildings in Austin have tops that look like afterthoughts (Indeed Tower being the exception.)

Correct on the Capitol View Corridor restrictions dictating the angle.

yes, not much in the way of interesting crown tops in Austin’s high rises. The Frost Bank, the Indeed, the Norwood, and marginally the Independent (only because of the nighttime lighting) are not bad. The rest are pretty mundane boxes.

The Google “Sail” building will be cool though.

my goodness, speaking of depressing tops and facades.  Not sure flag it'll carry, but there's a 15-20 story hotel going in right south of El Mercado on Guadalupe.  It's a tight 1/8th tract.  But it has to be the blandest fucking thing I've seen in Central Austin in awhile.  I thought they were gonna somehow magically dress it up at the end, but nope...it's in punchlist phase right now to open before school/football starts.  Great location and looks like street level outdoor bar/cafe.  I know I'll certainly hit it up when on campus, but the tower itself it just awful.  It's like the architects from 5th & West and the Westin pinky-swore to one another during an acid trip to design the worst looking building since RLM.  

Hyatt Centric developer team back off the ledge, and looking at another downtown flag possibility in the mid-market space.  My guess is near the Convention Center.  

Probably would have happened sooner if the City of Austin had required the contractor to use re-bar inside the tunnel, but hey---at least the homeless get a nice park out of it.   I kid, I kid.  

8/14 grand opening with Gary Clark, Jr. opening up the pavilion on 8/20.  Sure we lost tens of millions, but I'm taking my kids there that weekend, should be fun.

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Probably would have happened sooner if the City of Austin had required the contractor to use re-bar inside the tunnel, but hey---at least the homeless get a nice park out of it.   I kid, I kid.  

8/14 grand opening with Gary Clark, Jr. opening up the pavilion on 8/20.  Sure we lost tens of millions, but I'm taking my kids there that weekend, should be fun.

Looks like it could be a cool place to tailgate. Do you know if that's going to be in the offing?

APD and park police are gonna be heavily present from August to December just to make sure the Greenway from Town Lake to Medical District is "safe" and "family friendly" and all that.  Based on what I've heard, I'm guessing open containers with folks walking through on their way to the stadium...no big deal.  But I think large-scale tailgates with dozens of attendees per event, open cooking, lotsa booze, etc.---I think that'll likely be frowned upon unfortunately.  Again, because of Central Health and homelessness politics.  I think by 2022, something will be worked out for small tailgate parties at the northern end near med school/etc.  But sad to say, 2021 will be mainly paranoia with regard to no big events, no excess crowds/traffic near med center/brack redevelopment/encouraging homeless to hang out and congregate.  But who knows...I'm gonna bring this up later this summer...see if there's a prevailing opinion.  I think right now, small/discrete gatherings won't be a big deal...but you know as well as I do...shit like that blows up after a game or two...and draws attention.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 5:40 PM, Lobo said:

Look at those tickets this morning when they went on sale... wtf $250 a seat? They are pretty proud of that Amphitheater