Downtown Projects

Longhorn Al

25 years ago... 1999.

image.png.4aa81b25f10664716ba73d44de3bcf93.png

people don't believe me when i say downtown Austin used to be a barren wasteland.

• I see Liberty Lunch down there!
  • 2nd street has come a long way.
  • lots of surface parking
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

People have a REALLY strong attachment to Spaghetti Warehouse.  I probably walked through those doors like 3x and I don't think I ever ate there, but so many people mention it first when talking about that warehouse district area.  Not Mezzaluna or Sullivan's or Bitter End or Cedar Street or a dozen other memorable spots within 100 yards.  Was it actually decent food, or just the only "fancy" Italian place around in the 90's?

• Hook 'Em 2

That wasn't directed specifically at you.  I spent the better part of 15 years working within a block of 4th and Colorado, so whenever the topic of a changing downtown comes up, that's where my focus goes, and an easy 50% of the time, whoever I'm talking to immediately brings up Spaghetti Warehouse.  Literally happened just last week.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, yoladu said:

25 years ago... 1999.

people don't believe me when i say downtown Austin used to be a barren wasteland.

And an earlier look (1897/1900) at that area….

https://www.austinchronicle.com/features/2001-01-26/80321/

IMG_2640.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

26 minutes ago, Mittens said:

People have a REALLY strong attachment to Spaghetti Warehouse.  I probably walked through those doors like 3x and I don't think I ever ate there, but so many people mention it first when talking about that warehouse district area.  Not Mezzaluna or Sullivan's or Bitter End or Cedar Street or a dozen other memorable spots within 100 yards.  Was it actually decent food, or just the only "fancy" Italian place around in the 90's?

I used to love Mezzaluna. In my mid/late 20s, that was a fancy night out.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

I think of Spaghetti Warehouse as more of an 80’s thing and like you I’m not sure I ever even ate there. Mezzaluna (which I loved) opened in what ‘89 or so? There was also a good older Italian place near the Back 40 bar. City Grill was another good downtown restaurant. Man looking back it’s amazing how limited the options were.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, yoladu said:

25 years ago... 1999.

It's so beautiful. I'm not crying, I just got something in my eye.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2024 at 10:45 AM, Mittens said:

I remember going to Spaghetti Warehouse for my mom's (no pics) 40th bday and then they went to Maggie Mae's afterwards apparently.  That's one of my earliest memories of downtown.