Downtown Projects

Longhorn Al

On the drawing board?  Yes.  Was to be a multi-family high rise until it quietly changed to a Hyatt Property.  Still no parking garage, retail/restaurant and office space will remain largely unchanged, though office was reduced by square footage.  Tower remains now as Centric hotel rooms.  It will change the first floor facade and amenities somewhat as well.  Google now expanding downtown would have changed things again with this project, but here we are...

21 hours ago, bolverk said:

Not sure it would add that much anyway since it'd be hidden behind the Austonian from this angle.

Hey, what's the latest on the ridiculous building that looks like a ring pop? I think it was proposed around 2nd and Congress or thereabouts.

The new Parsley building looks too much like Colorado Tower across the street, in which they are currently located.

An Unexpected Tower Arrives in Downtown Austin’s Northwest Gap

The region of downtown Austin northwest of the Capitol, just east of the historic Judge’s Hill neighborhood and labeled by Google Maps as the “North Side,” is a bit of an odd duck. As we’ve covered in more detail before, this area’s got different zoning rules than the rest of downtown, meaning its buildings generally don’t go as high as you’ll find elsewhere — in fact, this quadrant of the central city represents a sort of gap between density in West Campus and the rest of downtown.

That gap may find itself filled in the near future, however — in addition to upcoming civic, hotel , and office projects, the part of town we’re apparently calling the North Side now finds itself the site of a new 27-story condo project at 1615 Guadalupe Street, according to planning documents recently filed with the city.

Named in these documents only as 17th Street Condos, the city filings describe a 319-foot, 104-unit residential tower with 5,306 square feet of retail space on the ground floor, planned on a .29-acre plot currently occupied by an insurance office — meaning it would become the area’s tallest tower by a bit, comparable in size to the nearby Dobie Center in West Campus. Actually, it’s 10 feet taller!

17th_condo_hotel_massings-780x488.jpg

70rainey_17thcondos-780x573.jpg

Poor Hotel Zaza.  Years late, over-budget, finally topped off and they can't fund the finish out.  And now the main orientation of the building to take in the capitol and UT views and the U-shape disposition of it all...is gonna be erased in 18 mos., about the time the 44-story neighbor surpases their height.  I'd feel sorry for Zaza if their design and aesthetic wasn't a replica of the Westgate building.  

Since Bill Murray loves Austin (between music festivals and theChive)...I'd like to think we can get him to get on top of that building in a life vest behind the Jib and proclaim, "I'm Sailing!!!"  

• 2 weeks later...
A new rendering of Bock 185:
46256120795_a05c79ab10_o.jpg

Oooh, I'm starting to really like this one.

Here's a photo of the progress as of this afternoon. Based on how much line is running from system they're using for drilling, those holes are at least 80ft. deep at this point.df4faa229b56272e690b3ce6a4c396dd.jpg
  • Like 2

Place your wagers:  Which opens first downtown---the Dominos Pizza at the base of the Plaza Lofts or the Goodnight Bowling Alley and Japanese Nightclub?  

Both are in last stages of finish out and moving with the expedition of a Rosie O'Donnell colonoscopy.  

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Place your wagers:  Which opens first downtown---the Dominos Pizza at the base of the Plaza Lofts or the Goodnight Bowling Alley and Japanese Nightclub?  

Both are in last stages of finish out and moving with the expedition of a Rosie O'Donnell colonoscopy.  

Dominos has only been under construction for a couple months.  The Goodnight and TenTen have been “under construction” since 2015.  

And I still have my doubts Goodnight will actually ever open.  

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Dominos can't open until those pizzas make their way out of Rosie's colon.

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

Dominos has only been under construction for a couple months.  The Goodnight and TenTen have been “under construction” since 2015.  

And I still have my doubts Goodnight will actually ever open.  

Why do you think goodnight might not open?

90-92 Rainey (Container Bar)

A 51-story tower is proposed at 90-92 Rainey St., where Container Bar and Bungalow now stand. The tower will include 290 apartments and a 293-room hotel, said developer Kevin Burns, who is also the founder and CEO of Urbanspace Real Estate + Interiors.

They also state that they would like Container Bar to go in the 1st floor and Bungalow on the 2nd floor.

Shaded box in the rendering is The Quincy.

They mention WeWork planning 1 million sq ft of office.

51 floors (~600')

zfQxMX5.jpg

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 2

Austin Symphony is trying to get their .4 acre lot rezoned as CBD to match the other half of the block where the Velocity HQ was at 610 E 11th.  Apparently they want to be incorporated into the future mixed use tower there (up to 45 floors) and have their offices included.  I assume the outdoor performance stage on the SW corner would be unaffected.

45 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

Apparently, the WeWork million square feet is in one tower - a 4th tower. That would likely go on the parking lot behind IHOP. The other 3 towers are the original Waller Park Place ones.

Came here to post about the new Rainey Street tower pictured above.

Question: Are there any million square foot towers (let alone other more horizontal buildings) in Austin? By comparison, I vaguely recall that the Frost Tower is about 350,000 square feet mas o menos.

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Came here to post about the new Rainey Street tower pictured above.

Question: Are there any million square foot towers (let alone other more horizontal buildings) in Austin? By comparison, I vaguely recall that the Frost Tower is about 350,000 square feet mas o menos.

The 2 planned towers are ~1 million.  The Republic is 920,000 and 6th + Guadalupe is 1,130,000.

2 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

The 2 planned towers are ~1 million.  The Republic is 920,000 and 6th + Guadalupe is 1,130,000.

Okay, really big (that's what she said). Is this separate from the rumored salesforce.com building or do you know? 

8 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Okay, really big (that's what she said). Is this separate from the rumored salesforce.com building or do you know? 

That I don't know.  The rumor was Salesforce was going in Block 185, but then it was announced Google is leasing that entire building.

With these two towers and the convention center expansion coming, Chavez between 35 and Trinity should be an absolute delight for the next decade. 

Nice shot. As an aside, does anyone know why the South Mall isn't aligned better with the Capitol and Congress? Was there a specific reason or was it just a lack of foresight and poor planning?

It would've been fantastic to have the future Capitol Mall essentially extend all the way to the Tower.