Downtown Projects

Longhorn Al

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2019 at 5:53 PM, Longhorn Al said:

I go over to Skyscraper Pages every once in a while and they have thread on this project.

More renderings have come out, and myy jaw just dropped.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=8666902&postcount=25

Spoiler

tVoIwjS.png

Well that styled building sitting above such a historic building will be used in textbooks in the "Air Rights" section for decades to come, that much I know.

And right across the street from my old building, one of the ugliest and goofiest in Austin with a secret Luby's in the basement.  

• 4 weeks later...

At a meeting at the new  ZaZa.  It’s like Four Hands opened up a hotel.  Everything in here is impeccably poor made.   But looks nice.  Also, dude fest.  Its nice enough but not worthy the seven years it took to build.  Walked through residential side as well, odd lease rates considering who they want to attract.  

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a tower is planned near the convention center where P.F. Chang's currently sits.  Be a damn shame to lose that Asian culinary gemstone to such needless development.  I know I'll weep as hard as I did when took away Fuddrucker's.  

• 4 weeks later...

Cross-posting this

I’ve heard this rumor from multiple people, both from a neighborhood email list, and from some people from the neighborhood I was talking to after voting this morning.

The rumor is that the Randall’s at 38th and Shoal Creek is going to be torn down and replaced by a large apartment complex.    I don’t like their prices, but i usually stopped by a few times of week to get stuff for my kid or us, and I always thought an H-E-B would just kill it there.  Even so, they always seemed busy enough.   

That would be such an Austin thing to do - replace a neighborhood grocery with apartments.  Because, you know, we need more traffic on 38th, Exposition, North Lamar, Shoal Creek, Mopac, etc. as people have to drive a few more miles to get to a grocery store.  

• Haha 1

I'm expecting them to tear down the Randalls on Mesa and Spicewood, only because there is a max of 5 people in the store at any given time. That being said, they probably won't tear it down, since I've long believed Randalls for a front for drug trafficking. It's the only logical explanation at how they can exist without customers. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Cross-posting this

I’ve heard this rumor from multiple people, both from a neighborhood email list, and from some people from the neighborhood I was talking to after voting this morning.

The rumor is that the Randall’s at 38th and Shoal Creek is going to be torn down and replaced by a large apartment complex.    I don’t like their prices, but i usually stopped by a few times of week to get stuff for my kid or us, and I always thought an H-E-B would just kill it there.  Even so, they always seemed busy enough.   

That would be such an Austin thing to do - replace a neighborhood grocery with apartments.  Because, you know, we need more traffic on 38th, Exposition, North Lamar, Shoal Creek, Mopac, etc. as people have to drive a few more miles to get to a grocery store.  

Bryker Woods is considered downtown now?

Curious to see how all the people on the newly expanded bike paths are gonna carry all those HEB bags home.  Wow that area is already a shitshow with traffic.

Don't know where else to put this but it's gonna hit close to home for literally half this board since it was probably the very first place we bought liquor with a Fake ID at UT and probably the very first place we legally bought liquor at UT...but the Centennial Liquor Store on Guadalupe has closed down forever.  I remember going there to buy a bottle of Jaeger after we upset Nebraska in '96.  End of an era.  Pour one out.  

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

I'm expecting them to tear down the Randalls on Mesa and Spicewood, only because there is a max of 5 people in the store at any given time. That being said, they probably won't tear it down, since I've long believed Randalls for a front for drug trafficking. It's the only logical explanation at how they can exist without customers. 

I guess the Randalls in Tarrytown finally stopped selling then... O'Henry kids stopped buying maybe?

I did really like that Randall's when I lived in that neighborhood as I could be in and out in far less time than the HEB. 

21 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Same with the one on Balcones.  I'll swing by there if I need one or two items in a rush, as it's closer than the closest HEB.  But that place absolutely sucks, and the few people in the store whenever I'm there are doing the same thing--buying a few items needed on the spot, but they do the bulk of their shopping at HEB or Central Market. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2019 at 10:31 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Cross-posting this

that would make me sad. That is my go to "10 items or less that I need right away" store. Been going to that store for 20 years.

That cluster of Randall's---Mesa & Spicewood, the one at 2222 & Expo, the one in North Tarrytown, the one at 183/360, and then the one off 35th/38th.  HOw are there so many that do so little?  

What’s The one right at 2222 and mopac, SW corner of the broader intersection.  There’s a twin liquors and a few mid rise office buildings.  A chase bank, chez nous restaurant, etc.  Greek restaurant and some other shit.  Surely you know the Randall’s I am speaking of. 

I'd expect an announcement at Barton Springs and Riverside soon.

Just 2-3 days ago, it was announced that Endeavor bought out Aussie's. A few months ago, the Zax property next door was purchased by Endeavor. Now, this announcement:

After a 16-year run, Zax Restaurant & Bar is closing. Chef and owner Jeffrey Lynd confirmed the news as happening “very soon,” but was not able to give an exact date. CultureMap will update this article when the final service day is available.

The reason for the shutter is unknown, but the fate of the restaurant has been a subject of speculation since Endeavor Real Estate Group purchased the 312 Barton Springs Rd. property in June. At the time, Lynd told the Austin American-Statesman that there were no immediate plans to close.

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/12-19-19-zax-restaurant-bar-closing-barton-springs-road-riverside/

Edit: I imagine it's only a matter of time until we hear what'll be done at the old Threadgill's cattycorner to these properties.

Edited by bolverk

14 hours ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Another tall, glass rectangle to an already forgettable skyline. Austin deserves better architecture. 

I'm quite confident this proposed tower is superior architecturally to the 1 story suburbanesque BBVA motorbank it will be replacing.

Of course opinions are like assholes.

the way the City Council orders the closures of lanes literally just weeks before massive construction projects begin, absolutely cracks me up.  it's fucking criminal.  Somebody working in the NW quadrant of downtown who lives down around Circle C or somesuch.  Can now expect a full 75 minute commute home during this debacle that could have been easily avoided had City Council delayed that bus expansion.  

22 hours ago, Lobo said:

the way the City Council orders the closures of lanes literally just weeks before massive construction projects begin, absolutely cracks me up.  it's fucking criminal.  Somebody working in the NW quadrant of downtown who lives down around Circle C or somesuch.  Can now expect a full 75 minute commute home during this debacle that could have been easily avoided had City Council delayed that bus expansion.  

What are you talking about?