The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

On 1/20/2019 at 9:54 PM, conVINCEd said:

I’ve read your posts about your boat before and know you’ve been doing this forever, but I have a couple of questions:  are you handling that boat solo, and if so, how long would it take someone who has never sailed before to become competent enough to sail something that size solo?

Go race recreationally for a year.  Free classes on sailboat operation.

dont expect to be on a boat like g650.  He’s on a very high level.

Edited by CoTex
Damn iphone

On 1/24/2019 at 9:11 AM, G650 said:

Ye Olde Structure going in this week, plus some great looking carbon. Also engine box and step design coming together.

image003.jpg

image006.jpg

image008.jpg

image017.jpg

G650.  When do you start working on things like sail design and inventory?  Are North and Quantum the only two serious sailmakers, or are there other options?  Does your sailmaker guy sail with you regularly or nah?

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

G650.  When do you start working on things like sail design and inventory?  Are North and Quantum the only two serious sailmakers, or are there other options?  Does your sailmaker guy sail with you regularly or nah?

About 6 months ago! Our sailmaker pretty much sails every high priority race with us, more because of our longstanding relationship and friendship than necessarily the sails we buy. Before I had myriad other life responsibilities I was one of the regular team he put together for other programs, plus we do a lot of stuff outside of sailing. The two of us and the guy who fell overboard are actually being interviewed by a filmmaker Saturday for a documentary on the Mac race incident. 

In more fun news, boat came out of mold last Thursday. 

IMG-20190203-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20190203-WA0002.jpg

Edit: Yeah Q and North are about it.

Edited by G650
Sailmaker shit

12 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

So I take it they use lots of sophisticated models to design pretty much every single component and part?

Its not polite to discuss money but I can only imagine how expensive that stuff becomes.

These days, yes. The sail designers have some wildly powerful tools for FEA and CFD. You can make individual inputs like tension in the various standing rigging bits and watch the impact over all wind ranges. It's pretty wild.

43 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Your boat is amazing.  I predict ass will be hauled. 

When does it get paint?

Next week.

The Polaris on these things are like 8 knots upwind. In a 40 foot boat!?!? I am still amazed how boats have evolved. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Shit man, that thing is antique 

Edit: I guess I didn't answer the question huh. Upwind in most conditions the IACC boat is faster just due to such a waterline difference. Downwind and any direction in light air the new boat will be faster, sometimes a lot.

Edited by G650

3 hours ago, G650 said:

Shit man, that thing is antique 

Edit: I guess I didn't answer the question huh. Upwind in most conditions the IACC boat is faster just due to such a waterline difference. Downwind and any direction in light air the new boat will be faster, sometimes a lot.

You’ll have to show me.  I won’t believe it until I see it.

Maybe you’ll have some time mid-July, Chicago area?  

I can free up a few days in my schedule, just to make sure this thing is legit and you didn’t get scammed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, G650 said:

Next week.

The Polaris on these things are like 8 knots upwind. In a 40 foot boat!?!? I am still amazed how boats have evolved. 

On your previous boat, the Farr, what was terminal velocity?  At what speed did you start dialing back?  I'm guessing mid-20's.  Having gone 30 in a poling skiff, I cannot really imagine that with sails up.  

I can speak to a j/22 - at about 14 knots through the water, you really cannot improve your hand.  As the wind increases you sail deeper and deeper, while the waves increase but, unless you're in the southern ocean on that 22, you'll submarine into the back of the next wave, load up and fold the rudder.  Some guy on Sailing Anarchy claims 23.1 on a 22.  That just didn't happen and I would bet a lot on it.

I've gone faster on a Melges but I wouldn't say we ever hit terminal velocity.  I've seen some pictures from the gorge where m24 sailors have fear in their eyes. 

On 2/3/2019 at 2:42 PM, G650 said:

The two of us and the guy who fell overboard are actually being interviewed by a filmmaker Saturday for a documentary on the Mac race incident. 

20190209-150448.jpg

Going down now.

Edited by G650

On 2/4/2019 at 11:34 AM, CoTex said:

On your previous boat, the Farr, what was terminal velocity?  At what speed did you start dialing back?  I'm guessing mid-20's.  Having gone 30 in a poling skiff, I cannot really imagine that with sails up.  

Eh, pretty much somewhere mid 20s. Depends a lot on sea state and how deep you can go. 

Also depends if you have exploded the A5 like a gang of idiots and its blowing 30

So i took the fam to the desert last night and it rained heavily on our return. I felt the only prudent move was to head to the boat to make sure all the rain we've been having wasn't going to sink her. All is well. So I think I will make me a filet mignon, Caesar, and some mash for dinner. I love being here by myself. 6bb50d4e06475d78479df7db88627b33.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 3:39 PM, G650 said:

Progress. We had a snafu with Harken Italy delivering the pedestal, but I think we've gotten that sorted well enough to stay on schedule. They also had a heater break, so that set us back on the hull, but they flopped the labor to the deck, so hopefully that's a wash.

Deck-Laminate.jpg

Hulldebulk.jpg

keelhead.jpg

rudder.jpg

winchbuckets.jpg

I have no idea what I’m looking at, but it looks badass.

I have only owned one boat. A 70’s green pickle fork with a supercharged 427. If it was metal I chromed it, if it was aluminum I polished it. Never really knew how fast it would go, I just knew how fast I was willing to throttle it. Which wasn’t very fast.

Driving a boat fast isn’t remotely the same as driving an automobile fast. And I have owned several 9 second cars. But it would turn heads if it didn’t do anything but sit in a lake and idle.

Any recs for a Houston area Yamaha mechanic?  I've got a F150 that needs VST tank cleaning/filters and float assembly.   I did a lower unit seal replacement and water pump last year after if set up for a while and when I tried to start it again,  the tank float wouldn't cutoff and dumped fuel all into the intake.  I'm thinking I would just go ahead and get a pro to do it and get the boat back on the water this year.

Just ordered another Odyssey 31M-PC2150 for a house/cranking battery.  I bought the boat used and it came rigged with an Odyssey 31M-PC2150 as well as an Optima Blue Top.  The Optima Blue Top was testing bad so decided to roll with two Odysseys going forward.  My little bay boat wintertime spruce up has gone full B.O.A.T. on me.  VHF, antenna + mount, speakers, livewell pump and now a starting battery.  About $1350 in just hardware.  

Also keeping with the B.O.A.T. theme: the Yamaha trim/tilt motor died while the rig was in the installer's shop.  Gonna have to have a few extra beers out on the water to take the sting away.    

• Like 2

Unlikely to go anywhere soon - if at all - but what the hell... any of you sailor types wanna wax on about this?

how unrealistic is it to sail around the world ... and I don’t mean be the boss lady. I’d have cash for sure but to get a boat or be on a boat as a helping hand but no where near in charge (and not a hired hand) and see the world in a fuck it I’m out of here sort of way?

I’ve got sea legs so the ocean isn’t the concern. And I assume I can learn enough in a few summers to be a novice on a team. I’d just wonder how much I’d need monthly and whether I could either join a group or if I could hire a guy or two that I liked and they could help us circumnavigate the fucking world. Because fuck this day to day bullshit.

/insert take your wakesurfboat around the globe joke here

8 hours ago, troph said:

Unlikely to go anywhere soon - if at all - but what the hell... any of you sailor types wanna wax on about this?

how unrealistic is it to sail around the world ... and I don’t mean be the boss lady. I’d have cash for sure but to get a boat or be on a boat as a helping hand but no where near in charge (and not a hired hand) and see the world in a fuck it I’m out of here sort of way?

I’ve got sea legs so the ocean isn’t the concern. And I assume I can learn enough in a few summers to be a novice on a team. I’d just wonder how much I’d need monthly and whether I could either join a group or if I could hire a guy or two that I liked and they could help us circumnavigate the fucking world. Because fuck this day to day bullshit.

That's actually not far fetched at all. There's many different avenues, from paying to race like in the Clipper race, to getting hooked up with people who are doing an around the world cruise and looking for another set of hands.

I would't recommend trying to put it together on your own though, that is a heavier load than I can accurately describe here.

I’m thinking either rent or buy the boat and recruit the rag tag team of experts and say pay your own way on incidentals and food and I’ll carry the boat and boat related expenses (insurance, marina fees and fuel and etc and whatever else) or ask to tag along the other direction.

Would love to see the South Pacific, Galapagos, Indonesia, South Africa, Crete and Cyprus maybe and the Caribbean this way. 2-3 years maybe.

Just a dream right now, it’s clear I can’t do everything I want. But I need to figure it out over the next few years.

9 hours ago, troph said:

There is a thread on this 

The short answer is to get you some sailing experience, ASA classes,  class racing or crewed charters, whatever .   Look at something like Mahina Expeditions for  a true crew experience offshore sailing or some like Crewseekers.net for a paid/nonpaid crew position.   The thread above has some thoughts on costs.

Welp, I’m needing to relocate to the North side of San Antonio for work, so it’s going to be Canyon or Medina Lake for me (30+mile drive either way).

Should I look for a boat locker close to the lake or closer to home? I’m thinking closer to home, but I’ll be putting more miles on the trailer that way, and incurring the inevitable road-related issues (tires, bearings, etc). I’m spoiled living close to my current locker/ramp.

11 hours ago, davidg said:

The short answer is to get you some sailing experience, ASA classes,  class racing or crewed charters, whatever .   Look at something like Mahina Expeditions for  a true crew experience offshore sailing or some like Crewseekers.net for a paid/nonpaid crew position. 

Be sure to have crew three transpacts and know how to tie a sheepshank...

22 hours ago, troph said:

I sailed across the Atlantic with a 6 hour stop in Horta.  Boston to Bristol - 29 days.

Find an opportunity to do 3-6 days offshore before you make any large commitment to circumnavigating - having been offshore on a boat a lot, I can say it’s different than you imagine.  You sleep in 2-4 hour spurts and shot always breaks when you’re sleeping and it’s dark.

oh, and g650 - shut the fuck up about 29 days, in advance.  I know that’s slow.  It was a traditionally rigged vessel full of beer and it just wouldn’t go upwind.

P.s. if you want to do it for free - there’s this.

http://www.sailtraining.org/billet/billet.php

Edited by CoTex
  • Like 2

On 2/21/2019 at 8:14 PM, davidg said:

Any recs for a Houston area Yamaha mechanic?  I've got a F150 that needs VST tank cleaning/filters and float assembly.   I did a lower unit seal replacement and water pump last year after if set up for a while and when I tried to start it again,  the tank float wouldn't cutoff and dumped fuel all into the intake.  I'm thinking I would just go ahead and get a pro to do it and get the boat back on the water this year.

Sport Marine in Richmond on 359.  Great folks. 

5 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I sailed across the Atlantic with a 6 hour stop in Horta.  Boston to Bristol - 29 days.

Find an opportunity to do 3-6 days offshore before you make any large commitment to circumnavigating - having been offshore on a boat a lot, I can say it’s different than you imagine.  You sleep in 2-4 hour spurts and shot always breaks when you’re sleeping and it’s dark.

oh, and g650 - shut the fuck up about 29 days, in advance.  I know that’s slow.  It was a traditionally rigged vessel full of beer and it just wouldn’t go upwind.

I, for one, would like more detail on this booze-laden crawl across the Atlantic.

10 hours ago, CoTex said:

Find an opportunity to do 3-6 days offshore before you make any large commitment to circumnavigating - having been offshore on a boat a lot, I can say it’s different than you imagine. 

This times infinity billion.

10 hours ago, CoTex said:

Going upwind is overrated anyway.

On 2/11/2019 at 8:51 AM, G650 said:

Fairing the hull for paint finally, fitting out deck. Bulb has been rough cast and is getting ready for CNC milling.

This grinder pedestal is such a work of art I almost want to put it in my living room instead of the boat!

image003.jpg

image005.jpg

image017.jpg

image020.jpg

image025.jpg

Does that grinder pedestal have a gear shift option or is it single speed?  If it does shift, how does it shift?  Controlled by the guy on the handles or the guy on the winch?

13 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Does that grinder pedestal have a gear shift option or is it single speed?  If it does shift, how does it shift?  Controlled by the guy on the handles or the guy on the winch?

Those two black plates on the end of the handle drive shaft switch between regular and turbo. You smack them one direction or the other. I prefer it to Lewmar who use a button on the floor.

13 hours ago, CoTex said:

Short version - scholastic suspension for excessive and sustained awesomeness resulted in me involuntarily leaving college.  Wealthy friend’s mother got me a job sailing on a tall ship in January of 1996.  I had sailed a lot but never anything made of wood.  Mostly racing small boats.

I had some good fortune - deckhand on tallship turned into deckhand on tallship sailing a goodwill tour for the Boston beer company.  420 cases of SA loaded on board - head to Bristol without delay.

beer parties in England, Ireland, Holland, France and Spain for May- October of 1996.

if youve watched Master and Commander you’ve seen the HMS Surprise.  Before that it was named HMS Rose and was my ride for that year.

https://web.archive.org/web/19980623184446/http://www.tallshiprose.org/log/status0596.html

Wait, so you crewed on a tall ship across the Atlantic?  That's fucking awesome.  Hope you didn't get scurvy.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

If you ever read about what keelhauling really entailed, it was brutal torture and most often ended in death.  Homies don't fuck around on those old ships.

yeah, i know what it was.  But I prefer the Urban Dictionary Version

The unsavory practice of surprising a sleeping partner by running the full lengthof a sweaty grundle across their nose/face.

• Like 2