The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

7 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

My name is Brian. I know one of their sales guys Travis. The owner has built up that shop doing work for a whole bunch of wakeboarders over the years.

Yeah it’s always full of wakeboard/ski boats (My folks life down there, I pass thru often). I’ve got about all the audio I want (not much) and always figured they were just a speaker shop. Good to know they do details and whatnot too, because the last guy, well, he’s not getting a second shot.  I’m going to swing by and see what all they do.  I try to keep my boat in ship shape, but it’s getting to that age now where cosmetic things need to be stayed on top of.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it’s the off-season for fishing so now is when I get sent the pics once or twice a month to prove that the boat is still clean. And floating. Costa Rican mates are so much better than the Texas guys as far as taking care of a boat. However we’ve had a Texan on our boat for the last month while everyone was out of town and he’s done a really good job. Probably won’t get down to CR to fish again until January but the boat is ready to go.

0-A437-C8-D-0427-453-A-9-EEF-9-DE34-EED7
AB7-EAE49-FEA5-4-F5-E-8841-E464-BF62-B63
23-C5-F18-A-4763-43-E1-987-D-72-D22-EEBC

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

Well, it’s the off-season for fishing so now is when I get sent the pics once or twice a month to prove that the boat is still clean. And floating. Costa Rican mates are so much better than the Texas guys as far as taking care of a boat. However we’ve had a Texan on our boat for the last month while everyone was out of town and he’s done a really good job. Probably won’t get down to CR to fish again until January but the boat is ready to go.

Was this ever docked in Kemah?  It looks familiar, but Ive only been there 2 or 3 times.  This was 4 and 5 years ago. 

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

Is this a humblebrag or just a brag brag?  Either way, very nice!

Ha, it’s been posted plenty of times on this site and on Shaggy including when we did a Shaggy “field trip” out offshore of Port A on it. Yes, I took a bunch of I’m from the internet dudes out fishing.

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

Was this ever docked in Kemah?  It looks familiar, but Ive only been there 2 or 3 times.  This was 4 and 5 years ago. 

No, before the boat was in Costa Rica it was in Port A. The previous owner had it in Freeport when he didn’t have it in the Bahamas, but it was called Empty Pockets back then.

On 10/31/2019 at 1:11 AM, justhookit said:

AB7-EAE49-FEA5-4-F5-E-8841-E464-BF62-B63
23-C5-F18-A-4763-43-E1-987-D-72-D22-EEBC

That really is a beauty Viking.  What's the length again?  38?  What's powering her?

My buddy has a gringo who has been living in Cabo for 10 years washing and taking care of his.  Apparently has a pretty good rep.  I met him and he seemed cool.  Hoping to head back down there once before he brings it back this summer.

Weather is shaping up beautifully for this weekend.  Was planning on going down just to do some maintenance and trip prep for Thanksgiving at Catalina, but trying to talk the fam into a day sail Sunday.  I have Monday off for the first time in like 10 years, so I will overnight and work on her Monday.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 4:11 AM, justhookit said:

Nice ride!  If I have always lusted after a 65 Viking.  One of the sexiest rides ever made IMHO

6913898_20181117092450293_1_XLARGE.jpg

That said I have kind of moved away from big boats, the 30'+ CCs have the speed/comfort/draft/versatility/fishability that is hard to match for the type of boating I do... big boats are great for partying on the docks in the islands after fishing, but I want to shower/sleep in a real room.  (nevermind cruise in the 40s Vs 20s)

used-intrepid-boats-center-console-for-s

#teamrun&gun

Edited by Loco
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

That really is a beauty Viking.  What's the length again?  38?  What's powering her?

My buddy has a gringo who has been living in Cabo for 10 years washing and taking care of his.  Apparently has a pretty good rep.  I met him and he seemed cool.  Hoping to head back down there once before he brings it back this summer.

Weather is shaping up beautifully for this weekend.  Was planning on going down just to do some maintenance and trip prep for Thanksgiving at Catalina, but trying to talk the fam into a day sail Sunday.  I have Monday off for the first time in like 10 years, so I will overnight and work on her Monday.

Thanks, it’s a 45 with 800hp MANs. Very reliable engines but extremely pricy to service.  If there is a next boat it will have CATs.

• Like 1

Need to go to the fuel dock to fuel up and swap out my CNG tank (for stove). Glassy but what a glorious day in November. A little crappy store bought sushi lunch listening to the Rams c Steelers. Today is a good day. AND I get Veterans Day off for the first time in more than a decade. Already have my prime filet ready to go for tonight.
b1cceda20e19937385103e5b913ee61a.jpg9434d1a8999e08281432b9c24d896972.jpgppp

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, smuggs said:

Titanic on the flat screens? Nice.

I did a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 back in 05, and other than the daily position marker, the only other thing they had on the chart is where the Titanic went down. Fairly unsettling.

On 11/22/2019 at 8:08 PM, bigshark88 said:

I need six random digits and this is my retirement plan

I would take something similar, but give me a Nordhavn. Thanks.

They’ve set this model up for fishing too - https://nordhavn.com/models/n75eyf/. The larger yacht cruisers https://nordhavn.com/models/n96/ and the 120 ain’t bad either.

Haha I noticed the Titanic on the screens.

I actually found that video by watching a video on the Nordhavn 60. I wouldn't mind going that route which is actually close to economically doable.

Maybe run it with a captain for a while until I felt like I had a handle on all the systems and then take over...

2 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Maybe run it with a captain for a while until I felt like I had a handle on all the systems and then take over...

I'm sure you could get capable fairly quickly, but it's an immense amount of work just to maintain the thing, much less go anywhere in it. I'd run a 60 with at least a mate if I was the captain.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

All of this.

Yes, my 45 has always had a full time captain and 2 mates. If we didn’t fish we could get by with 1 mate and a boat washer. And that’s for a boat that is in one marina full time. Heck, traveling you’re gonna want 3 and really 4 people that know what they are doing. 

23 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yes, my 45 has always had a full time captain and 2 mates. If we didn’t fish we could get by with 1 mate and a boat washer. And that’s for a boat that is in one marina full time. Heck, traveling you’re gonna want 3 and really 4 people that know what they are doing. 

I was thinking capt +2 but on that size boat minimum.   If I wanted a live aboard thing to run down the Caribbean, I'd go smaller and simpler.  You're not in a rush...  don't make the run to the next island until the weather is nice.  This thing would be PLENTY comfortable for 2...  and way easier to run.   Is it going to pull a gaggle of champagne swilling party girls in Ibiza? NO.

But what you save in fuel and penicillin will pay for everything else,  but I'm more of a drink cold beer than scrub teak kinda guy.

m-45r7965-l450.jpg

Edited by Loco
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, G650 said:

But why?

Edit: Also, please don't be the douche on a Lagoon.

To be fair, that Nordhavn wouldn't get you that far at more than a few docks.

I'm not a blow boater, I just looked for a 45-50-ish Cat for reference.   Something big enough to be comfortable for 2 and small enough to handle without a ton of stuff to maintain.  Looked good to me, but that's why you do your homework.   Then again, I'm not going to go native on a boat for several years.   Rent something for a summer in Greece/Croatia/Italy sure.  Next year Philippines... rinse/repeat

3 hours ago, Viking said:

My marina neighbor has a Lagoon 450 flybridge like the one pictured. I used to think that the flybridge would be fucking badass but then I saw that the riggers needed a 5 step ladder to reach the gooseneck and the end of the boom. Fuck that.

Yeah, look where the boom starts.  It's like 10 ft off the deck. 

I can get by on my 36 with a captain, a deckhand, a galley wench, and a bartender.  Except I wear all of those hats.  Headed out in the am to Catalina.  Really not that psyched as it is supposed to rain Wed-Thurs, but we are committed to going- Thanksgiving with my BIL and his wife's brother's family- so my only other alternative is to stay in a hotel with my wife and kids.  I can't be at that island and not be on my boat.  So off I go.  But having that as my sanctuary will be nice.  Should be a nice crossing tomorrow.  Get on the mooring and then batten down the hatches (and crack open the grog).

• Like 1

Maybe 15 years ago I found a company that had this really cool gel coat repair kit that matched up with your color. It had instructions on how many drops of whatever to match your hull. I bought it for a sea ray I owned and it was perfect for those light dings at the gas pump. No idea where I ran across it.

Anybody have an idea about what I am talking about and a source?

On 11/27/2019 at 7:17 PM, markstanco said:

Maybe 15 years ago I found a company that had this really cool gel coat repair kit that matched up with your color. It had instructions on how many drops of whatever to match your hull. I bought it for a sea ray I owned and it was perfect for those light dings at the gas pump. No idea where I ran across it.

Sounds like this guy:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/evercoat--match-n-patch-gelcoat-repair-kit--1934454

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 7:17 PM, markstanco said:

How about this one 

https://spectrumcolor-com.3dcartstores.com/Gel-Coat-Search_c_7.html

• Like 1