The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

18 hours ago, davidg said:

Be careful with that one. That picture is misleading. To my knowledge, they don't offer what the picture suggests with all the colors included. They offer perfect match gel that will match your hull perfectly less the sun fade. Spectrum makes the gel coat for several Brunswick brands nowadays.  It is good shit.

It’s been a while since I posted a pic  let’s see if this works  

https://ibb.co/3fVwXXw

She's a beaut! Not sure what it is about boats, but they feel like they are alive. And need to be cared for as such. Looks like you do that.

Told my wife I needed to go to the boat sometime in the next week or so. Her response: "What do you need to do?" She doesn't understand that she just needs to know I haven't abandoned her. I need to touch and feel her (the boat, not my wife. I've been married 23 years). As to what I need to do? I'll know when I get there. So headed down tonight. Remarkably mild night. Probably mid 60s. Just got a Crown Royal Black as a gift today. It's a good night.
37ee6924d624f1bad89cf6d994c444f4.jpg
  • Like 1

That’s insane.

There was also someone on the boat in very serious discussions with the sales guy. I just laughed. Boat show needs X amount of suckers to be a success. That includes the suckers like me paying $10 to see all the overpriced shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

There was also someone on the boat in very serious discussions with the sales guy. I just laughed. Boat show needs X amount of suckers to be a success. That includes the suckers like me paying $10 to see all the overpriced shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We bought our axis on a whim at the boat show two years ago. But it is wasn’t six figures when we signed on the dotted line.

16 hours ago, troph said:

How is that even possible?

I can do this with a smaller boat (not recommended unless there is a hard current and wind coming off the dock)  but I think this guy hits the bow a little bit on the dock and that brings the stern in quick before she sits down.  I've been in Bimini when the current is ripping and you've got a tight slip.  Not for the faint of heart (or wallet)

When there's a lot of wind and or current you have to do it fast to maintain steerage. Its twice as critical to maintain speed in sailboats to keep water moving over the foils and fight the windage of the rig.

Edited by G650
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 7:49 PM, Handcruser said:

That includes the suckers like me paying $10 to see all the overpriced shit.

Anyone been to Houston show yet?  I’ll be there, buying my $8 beers at some point.  I just can’t resist that fresh fiberglass smell, which faded away long ago on my sled. Also nice to see the same boat I bought a few years ago going for 2x as much. Makes me feel a bit better, I guess. 

• Like 1

I still go to the boat show just to see the coolest new ideas/gadgets, but yeah, the prices are insane.

Since I'm an RV guy as well, I also like that portion of the show.  Sadly I missed it this year, usually still out of town for the holidays during the first weekend in January.   I liked it better when it was later in the month.

I finally got the boat "ready", quit my job, and pushed off the dock for good a week before Christmas. We were trapped in the Fort Myers area for a week while a system spun around but Christmas day brought us a N wind that we used to get to the keys. We've been moving fast ever since trying to get to the exumas. We generally sail a day for 6-10 hours and then take the next day off.

spacer.png

We're currently anchored off Highbourne Cay where the Christmas trades are in full force. Winds E at 25 gusting 33 all day and night for 3-5 days straight.

spacer.png

• Like 7

On 1/7/2020 at 9:04 AM, utee94 said:

I still go to the boat show just to see the coolest new ideas/gadgets, but yeah, the prices are insane

This is 90% of the reason I go. To see what the nicest ones are using for different components, then bring that back and upgrade mine if/when applicable.  Whatever is good enough for YF, Seahunter, and the like is good enough for my ride when the time comes.  And I like seeing 90k Mowdys with fuel tanks lag bolted to the floor, sharp aluminum corners, etc.  

• Like 1

I finally got the boat "ready", quit my job, and pushed off the dock for good a week before Christmas. We were trapped in the Fort Myers area for a week while a system spun around but Christmas day brought us a N wind that we used to get to the keys. We've been moving fast ever since trying to get to the exumas. We generally sail a day for 6-10 hours and then take the next day off.
N5xpA6Q.png
We're currently anchored off Highbourne Cay where the Christmas trades are in full force. Winds E at 25 gusting 33 all day and night for 3-5 days straight.
WC0LARx.jpg

Might need a new thread to document your travels.
  • Like 2

On 1/10/2020 at 9:20 AM, davidg said:

Did we ever get a set of pics of your boat? What are your plans now?

Not yet. I've got a bunch of pics taken while on the boat but very few of the boat. I'll try to get some at anchor. Maybe we'll do some MOB drills and I'll get some of the boat under sail. 😁

Our plans are *breathes deep* to get to Grenada by June which is the start of huricane season. It's going to be a bitch though since we're going against the trades until we get to the Virgin Islands.

On 1/10/2020 at 10:20 AM, Chewbacca said:
On 1/10/2020 at 7:04 AM, Viking said:
N5xpA6Q.png
WC0LARx.jpg

Read more  

Might need a new thread to document your travels.

There's a thread for boat retirement/sabbatical but I'd be the only one posting to it. I dunno if my ego is big enough to have my own surly thread.

On 1/10/2020 at 12:49 PM, G650 said:

Heading to Staniel Cay?

We'll prob hit staniel cay on the way down to Georgetown. Been there? Any recs? We know little about the exumas except what is in the explorer charts.

45 minutes ago, Viking said:

We'll prob hit staniel cay on the way down to Georgetown. Been there? Any recs? We know little about the exumas except what is in the explorer charts

Many times. There's a ton around there to do if you are inclined, people have already mentioned the pigs and the nurse sharks, plus my favorite, Thunderball Grotto, which you can see from Staniel Cay YC.

I can PM you my contact info if you want some more in depth stuff?