The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Can someone explain to me why a boat like that costs so much? Inflated price above or not, isn't this just a speedboat for cruising and water sports? Is it just a Rolls or Bentley on water? Elite craftsmanship?  

Craftsmanship, WetSounds, wake tech, surf tech, etc... BUT, it’s ridiculous.

16 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Saw a 315k Natique (iirc, not a ski guy) at the Houston boat show last week. 
Dealer to 2 women: 315k.

Astonished woman: 215k!  Oh my

Dealer: (EXTREMELY sheepishly) Ahem, 315k

FF: lolololol as I walked by. 

It did have some kick ass recliner like seats on the stern that face the skier/wake/surfer. 

I can’t comprehend $315k for a ski boat.  You could buy a serious yacht for that.  A very serious yacht.

The boy and I sailed down to Alamitos Bay for the night.  Well, wife and daughter are driving down, we’re all going to dinner, then they are driving back as my MIL has taken a turn, and wife wants to be close by.  I’ll overnight here and sail back in the am.

9CCD5576-A56A-419A-B1A0-7AB0151F1E5D.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I can’t comprehend $315k for a ski boat.  You could buy a serious yacht for that.  A very serious yacht.

The boy and I sailed down to Alamitos Bay for the night.  Well, wife and daughter are driving down, we’re all going to dinner, then they are driving back as my MIL has taken a turn, and wife wants to be close by.  I’ll overnight here and sail back in the am.

9CCD5576-A56A-419A-B1A0-7AB0151F1E5D.jpeg

Yeah that’s just insane. That kind of money will get you a used boat with a bedroom or 2, a/c, full kitchen, some pretty serious radar/electronics, etc. granted it will be 10 years old or older but then again it’s also insane to buy a new boat of that type.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2020 at 10:07 PM, Goofyboy said:

Craftsmanship, WetSounds, wake tech, surf tech, etc... BUT, it’s ridiculous.

I’ve had a wakeboard boat of some variety for 20 or so years at this point. I couldn’t believe when they crossed $100k or even $200k, but $300k is f-ing ridiculous. I’ll stick with my old cheap X-1.

• Like 1

I’ve had a wakeboard boat of some variety for 20 or so years at this point. I couldn’t believe when they crossed $100k or even $200k, but $300k is f-ing ridiculous. I’ll stick with my old cheap X-1.

I’ve been on and ridden behind some of these newer ones. They are amazing machines, but it’s not really needed. The 2001 SANTE was one of the best true wakeboats made, IMO. 1000 lbs of lead and the stock ballast and that wake was a beast. $65k out the door.

My friends are poor, the newest one I’ve ridden was my ‘07 SANTE 220 I had several years ago. I went back to a 205 after one year because I got tired of worrying about the interior in it and I never liked the wake all that much.

I view these new ones the same way I look at the guy at the beach running a $700k+ quad center console that never drops a line and just hops from sandbars to the real bars. It’s more about showing you can afford it than the quality of the experience it was designed for. I can afford it, but I can’t justify it.

I agree. Also, a lot of them are built to surf. So many people surf now and wakeboarding has slowed. Surfing bores me to death. I don’t mind at the end of the day, but can’t stand it to start with.

They are mostly party boats. There are a few crews in the Houston scene that throw down still behind these. I am not one of them. I’m the best beginner you’ve ever seen.

I’d hurt myself wakeboarding but surfing not likely. That’s my main reason to go slow. And yeah, $200-300k is insane. Ours is great and brand new with some solid bells and whistles was under $100k. I love my baby but the day we go over $100k for a boat we’re getting a cruiser or fishing yacht like justhookit mentioned above. I just can’t justify on any level a boat at that $300k price that doesn’t sleep 5 comfortably.

I’m with Goofy on surfing and with you on wakeboarding, that’s why I ride a skate most of the time now. I’ll still wakeboard on occasion, but I’ve backed it way down to just riding and a little wake to wake. With a skate I can still ride and screw around because it’s not as hard on my knees. You have to be careful on it, because it can hurt you probably as bad or worse than a wakeboard but I just ride it and do a few surface tricks and try not to get stupid.

On 1/18/2020 at 11:00 PM, Sbbruin said:

That thing can d9 equal to apparent wind or better, can’t it?  What a sled.

Downwind targets in 20+ are 10 knots faster than apparent.

3 hours ago, troph said:

just can’t justify on any level a boat at that $300k price that doesn’t sleep 5 comfortably.

That's getting to be a stretch at 300.

On 1/18/2020 at 6:31 PM, G650 said:

20200118-192909.jpg

Finally got the girl back in the water in West Palm. Been on the hard since October.

Didn't you say that you don't have anti-fouling paint on this boat and have to dive it very frequently to scrub the hull?   Have you seen any growth difference with it now down in Florida?

7 minutes ago, davidg said:

Didn't you say that you don't have anti-fouling paint on this boat and have to dive it very frequently to scrub the hull?   Have you seen any growth difference with it now down in Florida?

No, it has anti fouling on it, Baltoplate. The last one was just Durepox epoxy.

It has only been in the water for two days, and will be out again next Monday, so it won't be much of along term study. Generally race boats need a wipe down every race morning anyway.

4 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Buddy of mine broke his femur wake skating. You’re right - it can really hurt you.

Knock on wood, it’s been easier on me than wakeboarding was and I have fun with the technical nature of it. The injuries I’ve seen on them have come from jumping them which I don’t do and people getting a leg hung up trying to save themselves from falling. I ride a fairly lightweight one and if I lose balance on it I just go down rather than try and pull out of it.

I’ve been hurt worse on a jet ski (handlebars broke landing a pretty stupid jump) and a tube than I ever have on any wakesurf/skate/board so it’s all about how you ride any of them. I don’t ski balls to the wall on double blacks through the woods any more and I don’t get crazy on the water either. I just try and enjoy the ride. It was more fun in the past but the cost/benefit equation doesn’t work any more.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, G650 said:

That's getting to be a stretch at 300.

well I'll stretch and pay more for a sleeper, 300 for a runaround with sinker tanks and some flippers on the back isn't a stretch it's the definition of insane.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 4:02 PM, Brew said:

Knock on wood, it’s been easier on me than wakeboarding was and I have fun with the technical nature of it. The injuries I’ve seen on them have come from jumping them which I don’t do and people getting a leg hung up trying to save themselves from falling. I ride a fairly lightweight one and if I lose balance on it I just go down rather than try and pull out of it.

I’ve been hurt worse on a jet ski (handlebars broke landing a pretty stupid jump) and a tube than I ever have on any wakesurf/skate/board so it’s all about how you ride any of them. I don’t ski balls to the wall on double blacks through the woods any more and I don’t get crazy on the water either. I just try and enjoy the ride. It was more fun in the past but the cost/benefit equation doesn’t work any more.

Ever tried an air chair? Those fuckers will break a neck. I got on one a few times 25 years ago. Don't know how long they lasted on the market. 

4 hours ago, G650 said:

Holy shit

Almost every boat ad I see has the financing broken down to 180 mos. One of the best decisions I made was paying cash for mine (no humblebrag).  The definition of a toy. 

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

That increase in consumer purchasing power has enabled the manufacturers to skyrocket their prices without the market holding them in check.

Same thing is happening in auto finance.  I know for sure I’ve seen some 8 year options advertised.   No reason a 3/4-ton should be 80k. 

24 minutes ago, davidg said:

Gonna suck calling the insurance company about that brand new boat.

Also,  looks like there is a FLIR and a marine spot light on the hardtop.  All those toys and not having the skills to use them.

My guess is they had the courtesy lights on and their night-blinded asses were just enjoying a nice cool evening.  That inlet is HUGE and straight out to sea.  I bet they were running along just off of John Lloyd  beach and just didn't see it (or look for it) ...  glad they didn't take out some fishermen.

port-everglades-florida.jpg

On 1/21/2020 at 4:05 PM, Anastasis said:

People are stupid. 

15 year interest only at 2.5%.  Let the fucking bank own the fucker.  Pick one off cheap and use it / charter it.  List it for more than you paid - profit. 

Looking now.  Miami boat show in 3 weeks.  I’ll be hard until then.  

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

15 year interest only at 2.5%.  Let the fucking bank own the fucker.  Pick one off cheap and use it / charter it.  List it for more than you paid - profit. 

Looking now.  Miami boat show in 3 weeks.  I’ll be hard until then.  

Whether that is a real rate on that type of note or not, you are going to be upside down on a 250k wake boat immediately. Maybe a different boat at a different price would play out differently. 

Edited by Anastasis

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Whether that is a real rate on that type of note or not, you are going to be upside down on the wake boat immediately. 

Don’t buy a new boat for that.  Or yes.  But there’s literally 12-14M boats that some poor chap has to dump for 2-3M a decade or less later.  If you have a good broker he will find those.  In this market?   Rare.  But the minute things start to look bad the first thing dumped is that sweet new yacht.  

edit: the rate/note is real if you have a nice chunk with that bank.  GS has been very kind.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Don’t buy a new boat for that.  Or yes.  But there’s literally 12-14M boats that some poor chap has to dump for 2-3M a decade or less later.  If you have a good broker he will find those.  In this market?   Rare.  But the minute things start to look bad the first thing dumped is that sweet new yacht.  

Yeah. The numbers probably work quite differently when we are talking about multi million dollar yachts. But that exchange was more specific to wake boats and how crazy they have gotten. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah. The numbers probably work quite differently when we are talking about multi million dollar yachts. But that exchange was more specific to wake boats and how crazy they have gotten. 

Yep I scrolled up and caught that.  Pretty sure when I was a kid you could be on a pretty badass wake boat for 60k but it’s possible I’m  remembering that completely wrong.  

1 hour ago, Loco said:

That inlet is HUGE and straight out to sea.

I mean, I've been out of there a million times. My boat just went out of it yesterday as a matter of fact. I definitely would not classify it as huge, much less with captial letters.

But these people are still terrible.

57 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Hahahahahahahahahaha.