The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

3 hours ago, G650 said:

It's a one off by Harry Dunning, same dude that did the McConaghy 38.

You get a slightly smaller piece of wood than the first place dude.

Screenshot-20200130-115826-Instagram.jpg

How long is that taking?   Would be a lot of fun just after a coldfront  (strong NW wind)   

Are you allowed to run inside Hawk Channel?

1 minute ago, Loco said:

How long is that taking?   Would be a lot of fun just after a coldfront  (strong NW wind)   

Are you allowed to run inside Hawk Channel?

Anywhere from 10 to 15 hours. You have to stay outside of any imaginary line off the reef. There were some high profile brick ups that damaged the reef and this was put in place to keep people out of there.

12 minutes ago, G650 said:

My old man did three. Back when it was straight through in Hobie 16s. Did it with Hobie Alter Jr. one time.

Respect

Yeah I just looked it up...  saw that it was broken down into legs.  Safer I guess and easier to manage

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

Anywhere from 10 to 15 hours. You have to stay outside of any imaginary line off the reef. There were some high profile brick ups that damaged the reef and this was put in place to keep people out of there.

Lol that would be a legendary cluster fuck.    I just figured cutting the corner, avoiding the gulf stream, and protected water would make that the preferred route...  I thought they might take that out for sporting purposes.

Edited by Loco

The ladies room is a nice place to be.

There's a boat from Texas doing Eleuthera, you should weasel in.

For those of you that don’t know, G650’s life is probably better than yours.

Winters racing sailboats out of Miami - this is a cool scene.

7 hours ago, troph said:

There are few threads on this miserable board where I think most on it have a solid grip on a reasonably happy life, and 650 might be a baller but I think most of us here do just fine. I know I’m all out of complaints.

You absolutely do. I actually live a pretty simple life, sailing is just a joy and something I'm fortunate enough to do at a high level.

If I could give my young poor self any advice it's that enough money to be secure is good, and anything beyond that doesn't buy happiness. That comes from within.

12 hours ago, troph said:

There are few threads on this miserable board where I think most on it have a solid grip on a reasonably happy life, and 650 might be a baller but I think most of us here do just fine. I know I’m all out of complaints.

As far as boats go, I have exactly what I want.  Wouldn't change a thing.  Well, maybe swap my three trolling motor batteries for one lithium.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

As far as boats go, I have exactly what I want.  Wouldn't change a thing.  Well, maybe swap my three trolling motor batteries for one lithium.

boats are like women, I know exactly which one I want, wouldn't change a thing.  not sure she'd like to know I want a second boat though, maybe a third one too.  yes talking only about boats.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 12:40 PM, Lat22 said:

In my world, her name is Sabine Skiff.

Those are definitely cool. If anything ever happened to my Hell's Bay, I center console versatile would be on the very short list of replacements.  It doesn't hurt that Brian is about as cool a guy as you'll ever meet. 

Edited by Pescado_Rojo

On 2/7/2020 at 2:25 PM, utee94 said:
There are plenty of boats I'd like better than mine.  There are plenty I'd like a lot less too.

Preach. Down here doing some winter maintenance, which will certainly require an overnight to make sure all is secure.  Edit, also having a new mechanic (first one I’ve had since moving down to San Pedro) come on Tuesday to do a full service on the diesel, and want to get out all the filters, oil, etc so he doesn’t need to root around my boat.  Never met him but spoke to him and he comes highly recommended by my boat neighbor who has used him for years.  Don’t really want to take a half day of to drive down to meet him, so gonna let him aboard site unseen.  Marina said he’s a good guy too, so I’m ok.  May try to do a Catalina run next weekend if the weather cooperates, which it only occasionally does this time of year.  Forecast looks spotty but manageable.  Fam is lukewarm on the idea.
e334fcbd29d0ec1799e585b48f8d9c25.jpg

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 8:21 AM, Pescado_Rojo said:

Those are definitely cool. If anything ever happened to my Hell's Bay, I center console versatile would be on the very short list of replacements.  It doesn't hurt that Brian is about as cool a guy as you'll ever meet. 

Brian is a nice guy. He installed the SeaDek in my boat. 

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Hey @Loco, have you done any fishing around Great Isaac?

Little bit.   Like everything depends on the time of year.   Yellowfin tuna run through there but I think it might be a little early for that.  Just look for the birds or anything that has been floating a while (wahoo/dolphin will be hanging around)   If you're doing less than 18 knots trolling a pug WWB would get you some random strikes.  But be prepared you can hook a monster every now and again.

But it's been a longtime since I was up there...  used to run by on the way to the out islands or fucking around Bimini

3 minutes ago, Loco said:

Little bit.   Like everything depends on the time of year.   Yellowfin tuna run through there but I think it might be a little early for that.  Just look for the birds or anything that has been floating a while (wahoo/dolphin will be hanging around)   If you're doing less than 18 knots trolling a pug WWB would get you some random strikes.  But be prepared you can hook a monster every now and again.

But it's been a longtime since I was up there...  used to run by on the way to the out islands or fucking around Bimini

Yeah. I hear ya. We are heading to the out islands ourselves.

My actually curiosity is whether you know or know anyone that has accurate soundings. I have to figure out how safe it would be to thread the needle between Great Isaac and Northeast Rock/ the Brothers in a boat that draws 10 feet, possibly at night and at speed.

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yeah. I hear ya. We are heading to the out islands ourselves.

My actually curiosity is whether you know or know anyone that has accurate soundings. I have to figure out how safe it would be to thread the needle between Great Isaac and Northeast Rock/ the Brothers in a boat that draws 10 feet, possibly at night and at speed.

I don't know anyone with that kind of knowledge.   Maybe check with the folks at Bluewater.  http://www.bluewaterweb.com/

I'm getting anxious just thinking about running around there fast and at night ... hope your GPS is really on it's game.  Coral heads do NOT budge.   

I'm sure you've checked https://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11469.shtml

1 minute ago, Loco said:

I'm getting anxious just thinking about running around there fast and at night ... hope your GPS is really on it's game.  Coral heads do NOT budge.   

Indeed. The NOAA charts are so so, but the Navionics ones are pretty good, and Cmax has digitized the Explorer chartbooks.

Just now, G650 said:

Indeed. The NOAA charts are so so, but the Navionics ones are pretty good, and Cmax has digitized the Explorer chartbooks.

Years in the keys back country have shaken my faith in electronic maps for shallow water.  I trust my eyes.  Nothing scarier than having to run an unmarked channel at speed in the dark...  And let me tell you, up by Hens & Chickens it's going to be DARK AF unless there is a big ole moon out.    (Granted it's not that tight of window you shooting for)    I would give the guys at Bluewater a call.  Lots of salty old sailor types in there (or used to be) 

There's no chart that accurately depicts the flats around the Keys or anywhere else for that matter.

I have reached out to some pilots to see what I can turn up. The other issue is current flows around the northern parts of Eleuthera, especially Spanish Wells and Glass Window, which can rip at several knots. Get sent sideways at 4knots at 3am in the dark towards the reef is no bueno.

Bluewater is a good chart seller. They have the Explorer charts I mentioned as second option on their product list.