The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

9 hours ago, bigshark88 said:
On 2/25/2020 at 3:06 PM, Sbbruin said:
What a badass old dude.

I just started reading a book about this called Imperfect Passage. I read about the first third of it today. Will report back when finished. Trying to get into the sailing part of the story. I am a power boat guy.

Try reading it with your shoes off and don't shower till your done with it...  you know really immerse yourself in that world

• Like 2

On 2/25/2020 at 8:47 AM, HOOKEM4 said:

There was a time not too long ago that I had 5 boats, 3 of which my wife didn't know about. The struggle is real.

Back in the 80's my Dad knew someone who had 2-3 boats and 4-5 cars stashed all around Huntsville.  Always wonder what happened to all of them

Edited by AUinHsv

Had a threesome with my two boat trailers today. I got the worst of it.

Ameritrail "uprights" were down to one, lonely upright that was hanging by a thread. The other upright left the chat last Spring in the middle of a highway construction zone.

Not pictured is a step bit drill job I had to pull off on the duck boat trailer (securing trailer winch) and then the Pathfinder had a stripped screw hole under a hatch lid. Removed and inverted the lid, used Marine Tex.

Time for a cold one. a6b4bdd69e1ddb1d3222924554c01d94.jpg

One of, if not, the best mod I did. And it was done immediately. Any incandescent where led wasn’t avail I made with singles.  

I had done most of them years ago. But I had a few hangers on. Makes such a difference in power. But my ancient Alder Barbour fridge is a power suck that I definitely need to address.

3 hours ago, G650 said:

I cant remember last time that I saw an incandescent light on a boat

I had replaced everything years ago.  There just wasn’t an LED bulb that fit this fixture.  At least that I could find.  But yeah, I can have basically every light on the boat on, and it would probably be less amp draw than 1 or 2 incandescents 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viking said:

That sounds miserable. Does your route take you between Nassau and the Berrys? The waves look particularly shitty there.

Over top of the Berrys. Was really sloppy rounding top of Eleuthera past Spanish wells.

I've been meaning to post some pics of the boat but I got my phone wet and dead shortly after we got to Staniel Cay and it took 6 weeks until I could get a replacement in George Town. We left GT the day after my phone finally cleared customs (which was a total clusterfuck) and then took off to the DR on half a weather window. The first half from GT to Turks and Caicos was glorious down hill sailing.. 15 knots at 120deg and 3ft waves. The second half was shit. The wind increased to 25 gusting 30 and the waves and swell grew to 6-10ft and it was on our beam for 36 hours.

The boat is a 2004 Manta 42, built in St Petesburg FL.

This is at Water Cay in the Raggeds. After 2 weeks in George Town my wife and I needed a break and found it here. There were no other cruising boats for the 5 days we were there.

FzUX4Tk.jpg

Here's where we are currently in Samana, DR. The boat looks small but that's a 70' monohull on the right that belongs to a boarding school in RI and a 65' Bertram on the left.

KTPdWY5.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, G650 said:

Over top of the Berrys. Was really sloppy rounding top of Eleuthera past Spanish wells.

How many hours did the trip take you? When you wrote 200 miles I started thinking like a cruiser and figuring out how many days that'd take. But you're in a Ferrari vs my VW bus. Badass boat by the way... I need to figure a way to cross paths so I can bum a ride. Are you keeping it in S FL for awhile or taking it up to the lakes?

Edited by Viking
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 9:46 AM, Viking said:

How many hours did the trip take you? When you wrote 200 miles I started thinking like a cruiser and figuring out how many days that'd take. But you're in a Ferrari vs my VW bus. Badass boat by the way... I need to figure a way to cross paths so I can bum a ride. Are you keeping it in S FL for awhile or taking it up to the lakes?

36 hours, upwind 2/3rds of the way. That was for 300 miles total though. If it was a reach or run would have been 19 to 20 hours.

We are actually heading back to Va. on return, but if you ever are close by will absolutely take you for a ride. We should be back to Florida next winter.

Shot here shows Merlin to the right of us, and a Class 40 in the middle.

20200314-094644.jpg

Edited by G650

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Of course I know Merlin.  Transpac legend.  How very cool.

Standing on her right now.

Edit: They have done an amazing refit on it. New deck, new rig and all gussying up you can think of.

Edited by G650
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Kids and jobs totally screw up my sailing.

Shit, join the club. I'm way limited the past few years.

Brought home some hardware at least this time. I highly recommend Cape Eleuthera resort too, this place is awesome.