The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

On 3/14/2020 at 5:13 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

I wish I could get plugged back into the scene. Kids and jobs totally screw up my sailing. Hell, by the time I get back to it, I may have forgot how to do it. It has been probably 5 years since I was in a real deal regatta. Need that in my life bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Also had 4+ 800-900 lb bull sharks in the harbor.

1) Bulls are NASTY 

2) Bulls don't get near that big.  Probably 350 tops

3) It doesn't matter Bulls are Nasty

Looked it up...  I stand corrected.  Exceptionally large pregnant females can get up to 800.  But the one in that pic is NOWHERE near 800.  It would look like a small submarine.  I'd not be happy to be in the water with that thing....

Edited by Loco

4 minutes ago, Loco said:

1) Bulls are NASTY 

2) Bulls don't get near that big.  Probably 350 tops

3) It doesn't matter Bulls are Nasty

Looked it up...  I stand corrected.  Exceptionally large pregnant females can get up to 800.   I'd not be happy to be in the water with that thing....

I've caught a lot of big sharks, I'm pretty confident in my guess on this one. Bitch was fucking huge and fat. Much fatter than any bull I have ever seen. I stepped back from seawall instinctively when it swam by.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

I've caught a lot of big sharks, I'm pretty confident in my guess on this one. Bitch was fucking huge and fat. Much fatter than any bull I have ever seen. I stepped back from seawall instinctively when it swam by.

The waters off Eleuthera are nicnamed Jurassic Park for a reason...   Just google Tiger Beach (not near you but still)....  nope nope nope

Edited by Loco

Just now, Loco said:

The waters off Eleuthera are nicnamed Jurassic Park for a reason...   Just google Tiger Beach....  nope nope nope

Indeed.

Most bull's I've come across are the scraggly river variety. Plump ones like this are cray.

2 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

G650, does the mast stay up while your boat is ashore?  Is there much service and maintenance after a race?

It does if it is just going into the cradle for storage. Right now it's getting broken down for trucking home.

48296-jpeg.jpg

48468-jpeg.jpg

Service and maintenance never ends really. Generally, as the boat matures, it gets to be less and less, but everything is a wear item. It's almost 24/7 when commissioning the boat, but probably gets down to around to anywhere from half a week of work around a local regatta to week and a half for travel race. Worklist right now includes servicing all the winches, repainting and polishing the bottom, replacing fabric in one of the bunks, replacing a grenaded purchase wheel ( I think I put pictures of these upthread during build), fixing string pot that indicates mast rake and fixing leaking hydraulic bags around the keel among several other miscellaneous items.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

It does if it is just going into the cradle for storage. Right now it's getting broken down for trucking home.

48296-jpeg.jpg

48468-jpeg.jpg

Service and maintenance never ends really. Generally, as the boat matures, it gets to be less and less, but everything is a wear item. It's almost 24/7 when commissioning the boat, but probably gets down to around to anywhere from half a week of work around a local regatta to week and a half for travel race. Worklist right now includes servicing all the winches, repainting and polishing the bottom, replacing fabric in one of the bunks, replacing a grenaded purchase wheel ( I think I put pictures of these upthread during build), fixing string pot that indicates mast rake and fixing leaking hydraulic bags around the keel among several other miscellaneous items.

Break

Out

Another

(10) Thousand

• Like 2

Kids are going batshit stir crazy, so thought maybe next weekend we’d head to Catalina for a little escape.  Yesterday they shut the island to all outside visitors, boaters included.  No moorings at all.  Could still find an isolated cove and anchor, but prefer to that in more settled summer weather.  Can get a little dicey this time of year, as most of the most protected coves are all mooring only.  So most anchorages are a little more exposed.  We’ll see if we crack as the week progresses. 

if you're wanting stimulus then there's no better group to give money to than a boat owner. Give me 100k and I'll put riggers, electricians, mechanics, fiberglassers, painters, etc, etc to work instantly.

I'm still in Samana planning how to get back to mainland US by boat in the next month or two. 5 or 6 boats left here a day ago heading to PR with plans on Grenada. That was our plan but it just seems too hopeful and risky. I don't see ports opening up to outsiders for awhile. Hope I'm wrong and shit gets better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heisenberg said:

Bruin,  Are you allowed to leave the port/marina (and return), or is it shut down?  I would think a few hours under sail would be good for the soul.

Yes, you can.  Sailed last weekend and it was glorious 

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

My brother in law in Florida says they’ve shut down all of the fueling stations at marinas. I think his Jupiter holds over 300 gallons. That’s a shitload of 5 gallon cans. 

I just fueled up in Marathon and heard that other marinas along the keys are open. The dockhands are being cautious: they spray the fuel handle with disinfectant and tell you to stay on your boat.

The one thing they've done in our marina is shut down the shitter pumpout.  And it will remain that way for awhile.  I don't have a gauge telling me how full it is, but i know it's getting there.   The closest pumpout is probably an hour away in Long Beach.  

22 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The one thing they've done in our marina is shut down the shitter pumpout.  And it will remain that way for awhile.  I don't have a gauge telling me how full it is, but i know it's getting there.   The closest pumpout is probably an hour away in Long Beach.  

https://www.boatus.com//boattech/articles/msd.asp

Just got a call from our marina, they were putting a new floor on the pontoon while storing it this winter, was supposed to be delivered on the 13th (Its still cold in Michigan) they said they haven't finished the carpet and since the Shelter in place order prohibits boating they are shutting down all operations. So now we have a boat with an exposed floor sitting at the marina all summer (likely) and the one thing we were looking forward to in all of this is out. 

Disclaimer: We live on a private lake with no public access and the only people who were going to be on the boat would be the wife and I. So we were not being irresponsible just trying to find a way to enjoy the outdoors since it is the only thing we can do. I guess it will be swimming, Kayaking and paddle boarding this summer. Womp womp 

• Like 1

That sucks.

Did they complete the new floor decking?  And what's it made from?  The deck on a friend's pontoon boat is all aluminum, I take it yours is something else?

Other than that is it operational?  Might still be able to use it without the carpet...

3 hours ago, Viking said:

I just fueled up in Marathon and heard that other marinas along the keys are open. The dockhands are being cautious: they spray the fuel handle with disinfectant and tell you to stay on your boat.

That’s good. He’s in Pompano Beach. 

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

That sucks.

Did they complete the new floor decking?  And what's it made from?  The deck on a friend's pontoon boat is all aluminum, I take it yours is something else?

Other than that is it operational?  Might still be able to use it without the carpet...

Unfortunately its an old school plywood floor, We looked at switching that to composite when they did the new carpet decided it wasnt worth the cost as we are probably going to upgrade in the next few years. 

Our lake is attached to some protected land so about 8 years ago they made it electric only. This boat was basically ghetto rigged into having a trolling motor attached to the throttle. We will get true electric with the next one so everything works as it is supposed to. 

Signed a contract to sell the Mastercraft today. It’s a little bittersweet as I had pretty well decided to keep it for another season. Still could fall through I guess, but there shouldn’t be any issues. Oh well, if this shit ever clears I’ll at least get to have a little fun shopping for a replacement. Going to see if I can find a good DC to use at home on the lakes as well as keep at the beach during summer school breaks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

That’s good. He’s in Pompano Beach. 

I saw your post earlier.  Didn't respond because I don't know for sure, but lots of boats on the water.  Somebody is selling gas and marinas have a lot of loopholes and are deemed essential.  I've heard a Saltwater Products License will get you around a lot of the closures..  $50 online...  I don't know if that's bs or not.

https://myfwc.com/license/commercial/saltwater/

Saltwater Commercial fishing has been deemed "essential"