The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Got damn, that is a very expensive hobby.

My bass sled is in the shop at the moment getting a new lower unit.  I was running wide open trying to get to one more hole before dark (stupidly) and heard some god awful sounds when I powered down.  Idled back home and got the diagnosis from the shop last Friday.  It's a '96 Mercury 225, but the mechanic said they only use SEI lower units when replacing. It comes with a 3 year warranty.

I'm ready to get it back.  Those late evening therapy sessions are much needed at the moment.

36 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Those late evening therapy sessions are much needed at the moment.

Fuckin A man. All I got at the moment is pedaling my bicycle. Which is pretty peaceful I have to admit.

It's not quite as expensive a scene as you would think though, the crane is like 500 bucks and truck was 1500 inclusive of permits. I could have moved it with my lowboy, but my guys haul bulldozers and shit of a not so delicate nature, so I though better of that. This is the first time this one has come back to the shed, the last couple has trailers we pulled with an F350. And the only reason it's here now is because of the corona. Going to fit casters to the cradle and wheel it inside for the foreseeable future.

Edited by G650

54 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Got damn, that is a very expensive hobby.

My bass sled is in the shop at the moment getting a new lower unit.  I was running wide open trying to get to one more hole before dark (stupidly) and heard some god awful sounds when I powered down.  Idled back home and got the diagnosis from the shop last Friday.  It's a '96 Mercury 225, but the mechanic said they only use SEI lower units when replacing. It comes with a 3 year warranty.

I'm ready to get it back.  Those late evening therapy sessions are much needed at the moment.

had that happen back in the late 80's with mercruiser I/O.  Had just finished a ski run and a buddy that was driving said "engines making a funny sound".  Bearings were just toast somewhere in lower unit

That sounds like what happened to me.  It would still fire up just fine but sounded like the whole thing was going to come flying apart when I gave it any throttle.  I thought it was going to be the powerhead, so I'm feeling a little lucky to get out with "only" a new lower unit.

1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

had that happen back in the late 80's with mercruiser I/O.  Had just finished a ski run and a buddy that was driving said "engines making a funny sound".  Bearings were just toast somewhere in lower unit

Your story reminded me:  Mid 80's, I was living in an apartment off Riverside drive.  My dad (foolishly) let me bring our old Ranger bass boat to Austin to ski at the lakes and stuff.  My buddies and I enjoyed the heck out of it.  It had a 4-cylinder Mercruiser I/O, not too many of those around.  One day I got home from class, my buddies are like "Hey dude, did you take your boat motor apart?"  No, I didn't, but went out to find that the lower unit was gone, hydraulic hoses cut, 8 bolts loosened, and gone. /CSB

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

What brand / model are those?

The small one on the left is a 315 Cat. The bigger one is a 942 Liebherr. The Liebherr actually runs, I keep it around the yard for lifting shit like dump truck engines.

20180621-101321.jpg

We left Samana, DR to head back to Florida on Monday. The Bahamas is closed to transiting boats so legally our route had to be around the Bahamas on the north or south side. I was tempted to cut through the middle and take my chances (its huge with limited naval resources, so 99% chance I'd go undetected) but eventually decided on the south route. Trip was 6 days, 900 miles from DR to Marathon where we rested 1 night and then another 150 up to Charlotte Harbor FL.

spacer.png

No idea what are options are for next year. I worry that even if countries are open what the reception will be like. Our current thoughts are that if the Bahamas is open by November that we'll head there for next season and spend 6 months there and then maybe 6 months in the US and Canada northeast (Nova Scotia, Maine, Chesapeake, etc)

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

When you say you "rested" one night, where?  Not hove to, right?  

We dropped the hook west of Boot Key where a dozen other boats were anchored.

Funny you mention hoving to because the next night we tried to figure out how to do just that.  We were heading directly into a 12kt wind in Florida Bay. Night came and we could no longer motor since there's a god damn fucking ass ton of crab pots in SW Florida. We'd tried a few things to stop our motion without success and finaly just deployed the jib and slowly sailed perpendicular to the wind until it shifted. I need to figure out how to hove to in a cat.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Viking said:

We left Samana, DR to head back to Florida on Monday. The Bahamas is closed to transiting boats so legally our route had to be around the Bahamas on the north or south side. I was tempted to cut through the middle and take my chances (its huge with limited naval resources, so 99% chance I'd go undetected) but eventually decided on the south route. Trip was 6 days, 900 miles from DR to Marathon where we rested 1 night and then another 150 up to Charlotte Harbor FL.

spacer.png

No idea what are options are for next year. I worry that even if countries are open what the reception will be like. Our current thoughts are that if the Bahamas is open by November that we'll head there for next season and spend 6 months there and then maybe 6 months in the US and Canada northeast (Nova Scotia, Maine, Chesapeake, etc)

Glad y'all made it safe and sound. If you do opt for the Bahamas, let me know, I can put you in touch with a couple harbours that would certainly be happy to have you. I think you did Staniel already? They certainly would give a good reception. So would Eleuthera.

If you come up here to the Chesapeake, definitely drop a line.

6 minutes ago, Viking said:

We dropped the hook west of Boot Key where a dozen other boats were anchored.

Funny you mention hoving to because the next night we tried to figure out how to do just that.  We were heading directly into a 12kt wind in Florida Bay. Night came and we could no longer motor since there's a god damn fucking ass ton of crab pots in SW Florida. We'd tried a few things to stop our motion without success and finaly just deployed the jib and slowly sailed perpendicular to the wind until it shifted. I need to figure out how to hove to in a cat.

Yeah, not sure if it would work the same in a cat, but on a mono it's pretty easy.  Backwind the jib, and then ease the main until you are +/- 40 -50 degrees off the wind and it should bounce back and forth within a 10-20 degree window, at a knot or so.

Yeah, not sure if it would work the same in a cat, but on a mono it's pretty easy.  Backwind the jib, and then ease the main until you are +/- 40 -50 degrees off the wind and it should bounce back and forth within a 10-20 degree window, at a knot or so.

Also turn the rudder to steer the bow into the wind against the backwinded jib.

heave-to-wind-diagram.jpg
  • Like 2

Yes, you likely will regret it. Then go get another.

Had to head to Wilmington to the Pumpout since the one by us is closed. Mercy hospital ship
031face1fdf649ef558130fb05e6dc0f.jpg

Cops rolled up on me when I went by. Gunboat guarding it as well.

USS Iowa
321ff4e781ee16208ca55a98bbdbb473.jpg

Toured it with the Boy Scouts. Very cool. The fins are massive.

• Like 2

Family came down and took the boat over to Cabrillo beach, grilled some burgers, chilled.  Nice day.  Then when we came back to the dock my wife said I could stay down here if I wanted as long as I was back reasonably early tomorrow.  Normally I’d hem and haw and feign resistance.  The words weren’t even completely out of her mouth before I said “sure!”.

C52ECEA4-FD18-4F37-A585-6AC5BE9AC8D9.jpeg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Yes, you likely will regret it. Then go get another.

I’m already looking for the next one. Trying to find a good 22-24 ft DC I can use at the beach as well as at home. However, that was the perfect lake boat. I probably should have just bought a boat strictly for the beach, but it just never made sense to add another boat to the stable. We’ll see what I can find.

• Like 1

I’m already looking for the next one. Trying to find a good 22-24 ft DC I can use at the beach as well as at home. However, that was the perfect lake boat. I probably should have just bought a boat strictly for the beach, but it just never made sense to add another boat to the stable. We’ll see what I can find.

Get a mastercraft center console. Already has a swk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Get a mastercraft center console. Already has a swk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hard pass, I’m either buying a 22-24 foot offshore DC or I’m going back to the original plan of buying a 22 foot bay boat to leave there and I’ll pick up another wake boat to keep at the lake. We’re in SW FL, so I don’t really need a big center console. I’m hoping the DC can serve both purposes, but it may be asking too much. I already had a boat problem with the pontoon, wake boat, flat bottom and jet ski’s in the shop in the winter. I need to go 1 for 1.

My kids just ride the wakeboard or the skate. With two girls who prefer tubes, I don’t see them ever doing much more than just riding them. My nephews still ride, but they are going less and less as they get older. I gave up my arsenal of tricks years ago when fear of getting hurt outweighed my interest in throwing something new, so I just ride now as well.

I got the bass sled back at the end of last week and have been working it through the break-in process.  Has anyone done this before?

I've been letting it get really warmed up before increasing the throttle much at all and then don't exceed 3,500 rpms for the first 5 hours.  With the way this boat is set up, it's a pain to get up on a plane without exceeding 3,500.  It stands straight up and plows for a while before leveling out so I have to make sure I've got a wide open lake in front of me.

The difference in the strength of the tell tale stream with the new lower unit is incredible.

• Like 1

So the fam was supposed to come down for a sail today. Got the call that too much homework was on the table. Fuck it then, I'm going. And it was nice and breezy. So headsail only and doing 6+kts . Catalina teasing me in the distance though. But it's closed to boaters so f'd.
597c950ad5e3fa2e16b628c32784e807.jpg

• Like 1