The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

3 hours ago, G650 said:

yeah it's been up for sale for awhile. It's one of those things that look fantastic and I really appreciate, but have no desire to own.

Exactly.  The upkeep on that would be 6 figures annually to keep it looking like that. 

This is a low end boat question, but my Dad is looking for a small fishing boat to cruise lakes in Texas, LA, and Arkansas during retirement.  Top end of the budget is $7,000. Preferred is 4.5-6.  I figured that people may be offloading toys right now to make ends meet and he is a buyer.  

"17 to 18 ft bass trackers with  40-60 hp engines, good trolling motor, decent fishing seats, and electronics.  Fiberglass models with bigger engines would be great, but the mechanical shape of the motor and electronics are more important."

Anyway, if you know someone that needs the cash let me know and I'll put you in touch.

This is a low end boat question, but my Dad is looking for a small fishing boat to cruise lakes in Texas, LA, and Arkansas during retirement.  Top end of the budget is $7,000. Preferred is 4.5-6.  I figured that people may be offloading toys right now to make ends meet and he is a buyer.  
"17 to 18 ft bass trackers with  40-60 hp engines, good trolling motor, decent fishing seats, and electronics.  Fiberglass models with bigger engines would be great, but the mechanical shape of the motor and electronics are more important."
Anyway, if you know someone that needs the cash let me know and I'll put you in touch.

Might be some motorboating going on in your future
  • Like 1

Where are you or Pops located? Hit FB marketplace, Craigslist and the boat sale forum on 2coolfishing. For $5k you can probably find a 10yo 16’ johnboat with a 50 2 stroke.

Be prepared to kiss a lot of frogs unless you are real handy at boat mechanicing or you can go up on your budget.

Yea, I think you'll be hard pressed to find something reliable at that price point.  I trolled Craigslist for months and months looking for a decent used Bass boat and it seems like the starting point for something decent was close to $10k.  You could find a decent Tracker in that range that was ready to fish.  At the $5-$6k range it seemed like everything was going to need work or would be a little iffy.  I was looking at Trackers, G3, Lowe and Alumacraft.  Maybe the market has come down with the recent turmoil, but the market was pretty thin for clean stuff back 2 years ago.

yea, at 7 grand you better be pretty handy with a wrench. If he's handy, his best bet might be trying to find a theft recovery or insurance owned boat and fix it up himself. The problem with people and their toys in this oil bust is most of them are bank owned, so will have to go through auctions. A friend of mine looked for almost two years for a specific fishing skiff and couldn't find one anywhere near his price range. He finally found a theft recovery hull on some skeezy used car lot in Florida, flew down, bought it, and strapped it to a uhaul trailer and drove it back to Texas. He spent about 9 months of nights and weekends working on it himself, bought a used motor, used trailer and put it all together himself for about 1/3 of what he could have bought a similar boat from an individual or dealer. 

• Like 1

I think deals can still be had, you just have to be ready to buy.   I've sold a nice skiff I had for under 5k once.  Sold it to a co-worker and he's still got it.  Has had to clean the carbs once.  Yammago 50 on a 17' glass skiff.  Funky trailer.  

I've seen ALOT of decent bass boats for about 10k.  5-6k is harder, but I'm certain they are out there.  I only had about 10 mins to look, but there are plenty for sale.

https://easttexas.craigslist.org/boa/d/pittsburg-bass-boat/7100878989.html     super easy motor to work on/have worked on.

I'm aware the next link is above the range you listed, but adding it only to show you can find ALOT of boat for low $$

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/richmond-ranger-519-vx/7110535906.html

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I think deals can still be had, you just have to be ready to buy.   

Yeah, this holds for a lot of boats.  Deals hit the market- maybe the seller just doesn't want the hassle of a lot of lookie-loos and wants it gone quick- but if you're watching for them, they hit and you can pounce.  Did that on a nice Apex RIB inflatable with a nearly brand new Honda 5hp outboard that a guy was selling.  $1,500.  Put it on craigslist that morning, I had been watching.  Drove over, tried haggling, he just looked at me, and I handed him the $1,500.  The engine alone was easily worth that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tigol said:

Damn.  Being poor sucks.  Thanks for all of the insight.  

Does your dad know much about boats? Could he spot a diamond in the rough? Sometimes farm and ranch auctions can be a gold mine for stuff like this if you know what you’re looking at. The one in Llano county usually has a few boats, some jet skis, dirt bikes, UTVs, etc. that kind of stuff usually goes pretty cheap at an auction like that, where people are really looking for hay bailers and disk plows and shit. My FIL has bought a few 4 wheelers and UTVs over the years for pennies on the dollar. The trick is to be able to look at one and know if it’s a worthwhile project or something that should be sent to the breakers. 

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I think deals can still be had, you just have to be ready to buy.   I've sold a nice skiff I had for under 5k once.  Sold it to a co-worker and he's still got it.  Has had to clean the carbs once.  Yammago 50 on a 17' glass skiff.  Funky trailer.  

I've seen ALOT of decent bass boats for about 10k.  5-6k is harder, but I'm certain they are out there.  I only had about 10 mins to look, but there are plenty for sale.

https://easttexas.craigslist.org/boa/d/pittsburg-bass-boat/7100878989.html     super easy motor to work on/have worked on.

I'm aware the next link is above the range you listed, but adding it only to show you can find ALOT of boat for low $$

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/richmond-ranger-519-vx/7110535906.html

Damn, that Ranger is a good buy at that price. 

Yeah not bad with modern motor.     There was one I followed for a long while but never could convince myself on for 10k.  Was clean clean clean and very well taken care of.  The deals are out there if you look/wait.   I've seen ALOT of decent Skeeters fall into that same range too.

Supposed to be a gorgeous day today, but as we headed out, visibility was probably no more than 50yds
4145b7ff186423bb6c13cd989d43d6b1.jpg

So headed to Cabrillo Beach and dropped the hook. Had lunch and threw the kayaks in the water. Fog came and went, but it has turned into a spectacular day.
38af07385ce83ccdc6be8b04c810e958.jpg
5a7ee7414a8a6ac7de6b6c6716a09111.jpg

• Like 4

Help needed. So I went to change the gearcase oil on the outboard. In my infinite stupidity, I removed the lower drain screw and started draining. When I went to remove the upper screw to finish draining and allow me to fill, it is completely seized. Sprayed it with PB Blaster but no luck. Need to remove it so I can fill. I tried to fill without removing it but I'm sure it didn't take the complete amount. What are my options?
acbc5390a428caae63568afe2a3e18c8.jpg

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Help needed. So I went to change the gearcase oil on the outboard. In my infinite stupidity, I removed the lower drain screw and started draining. When I went to remove the upper screw to finish draining and allow me to fill, it is completely seized. Sprayed it with PB Blaster but no luck. Need to remove it so I can fill. I tried to fill without removing it but I'm sure it didn't take the complete amount. What are my options?

turn it upside down and add the required amount though the drain hole.

Also, I was near the beach in Oceanside a couple of days ago.  Absolutely beautiful.  Not a boat to be seen, and visibility was great.  Then I read that in SD County, recreational boating was prohibited due to COVID. Fucking bullshit, if you ask me.  If I had a boat, I'd sure as fuck  want to enjoy it during this time when I cannot work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

turn it upside down and add the required amount though the drain hole.

Also, I was near the beach in Oceanside a couple of days ago.  Absolutely beautiful.  Not a boat to be seen, and visibility was great.  Then I read that in SD County, recreational boating was prohibited due to COVID. Fucking bullshit, if you ask me.  If I had a boat, I'd sure as fuck  want to enjoy it during this time when I cannot work.

Tons of boats in Long Beach/San Pedro.  Seems sort of logical that you couldn’t get close if you tried. BUT the launch ramps are closed.  So if you have a trailer boat you’re f’d.  On the fishing forums people are freaking out about San Diego’s shutdown.  Seems random.  My boat is the only escape I have. 

I have an old boat that I need to get rid of. I’m not trying to sell it, just trying to get rid of it to make room for a new boat. Are there any places that will take it as scrap? It’s an 1987 4winns fish/sky that I haven’t had on the water in like 4 years. Before anyone asks, its in very bad shape.

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

sbbruin, heat that screw up with a torch for about 15-20 seconds, then let it cool. Do that a few times and it will loosen up. 

Watch the first 2-3 minutes of this video. 

Interesting,  I was out at Catalina and the clamps that mount the outboard had seized since I hadn’t used it in like 6 months.  Mobile mechanic came out and that’s exactly what he did to loosen them.  Only cost me $110 for about 5 mins work.  Need to buy a torch though, but good thinking.

19 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

This craftsman is my goto for lower unit screws and things like that.   Left hand pushed hard to hold screwdriver into slot, 8' crescent on the blade to do the turning.

71MB17QgjXL._SL1500___45572.1557450059.j

If that doesn't work, a little heat as posted above or a manual hammer impact with screwdriver tips usually does the job.

tekton-multi-bit-screwdrivers-2910-64_10

• Like 3

1 hour ago, davidg said:

That's a big $ouch$.  So does the yard have any liability here or does it all go back to the boat insurance?

It will probably be a pissing match with the insurers. The white boat was only on jackstands, and the grey boat had a really chintzy cradle. There can be an argument made the yard shouldn't have allowed them stored like that. On the other hand, the owners shouldn't have let them be stored like that either. The grey boat is essentially the same size as ours, we raced them in January actually, and their cradle is like half the size of ours, plus we have diagonal bracing this same yard actually made us get. No idea why they didn't require them to do the same.

Ouch. That is bad.

Speaking of bad. I just bought my boat back from the guy I sold her to 2 years ago. What is my problem? She needed a new deck and a whole load of other shit (1978 J24). Well, thanks to COVID I got a 100% repaired deck and a whole slew of other new shit back from him. I bought it back for what I sold it to him for and he dropped around 15k into her. Dude had some unrelated health issues and his wife got furloughed. He needed cash and wanted me to take her back and go win races again. Who am I to turn him down??

I lost the second J24 I had been racing (really my bothers) around the same time I sold mine.  It was a rocket, Furio now, and it won worlds this past year. It is good to get a smaller boat back to race with smaller crew numbers. Hoping to get my kids really hooked as they are finally getting old enough to sail with me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Ouch. That is bad.

Speaking of bad. I just bought my boat back from the guy I sold her to 2 years ago. What is my problem? She needed a new deck and a whole load of other shit (1978 J24). Well, thanks to COVID I got a 100% repaired deck and a whole slew of other new shit back from him. I bought it back for what I sold it to him for and he dropped around 15k into her. Dude had some unrelated health issues and his wife got furloughed. He needed cash and wanted me to take her back and go win races again. Who am I to turn him down??

I lost the second J24 I had been racing (really my bothers) around the same time I sold mine.  It was a rocket, Furio now, and it won worlds this past year. It is good to get a smaller boat back to race with smaller crew numbers. Hoping to get my kids really hooked as they are finally getting old enough to sail with me.

Dude that's a home run.

14 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Anyone heard any news about Austin area boat ramps opening after the stay at home order expires today? I've called a few different parks offices and they either don't answer or don't have a clue.

I was on Georgetown last weekend and all ramps that weren't full were open.

On 4/30/2020 at 1:18 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

Ouch. That is bad.

Any pics?  Awesome!

Any pics?  Awesome!
Tried to not dox myself anymore than I have already. She needs all fittings thrown back on and toe rails ( the seller had starboard cut for them already) then i will remove the vinyl wrap and repaint all red again. I am the last of a dying breed that believes skill will trump the OCS risk of non white bow . After that, i will start on the bottom. Bottom is not bad buuuut, it was last done with a epic run of shit from interlux that developed countless hairline cracks in every job we saw come out of the south. I am not a paint guy but the ones I have talked to all had the same issue. Who knows. I am about to be a paint guy as my brother is legit with it and has gotten excited to help me bring our legacy 24 back from the dead the rest of the way.

Part of the deal was a brand new in the bag unopened chute. I cannot believe how insane this came together and I owe the seller so much for letting me have her back. He could have made soooo much more money than I paid him. Just an insane deal.3f47aa000c335d1980b5b2d027e9479b.jpg272a5861f8dfa8d45db24508454ebdc1.jpg481f8db5caf948cccefb42f6e1564602.jpg
  • Like 3

Made an awesome bbq dinner for the fam, and as everyone was just settling in, and we were planning on coming down to the boat tomorrow anyway, I lobbed our the idea of me coming down tonight to "get things ready."  I got the "sure" and with covid traffic, bolted down in 45 mins.  Now cold chilling on my boat, and there is no place on earth I’d rather be.

• Like 3

On 4/26/2020 at 5:49 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

sbbruin, heat that screw up with a torch for about 15-20 seconds, then let it cool. Do that a few times and it will loosen up. 

Watch the first 2-3 minutes of this video. 

Epilogue:  awesome call.  Ordered a propane torch from Amazon, heated it up for about 10 seconds, and it came off no problem.  Engine is ready to rock and roll for summer 2020.  Thanks Pescado.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 1